Dropsy meds arent working... What should I do? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Dropsy meds arent working... What should I do?

Thanks to some Petco mollies I bought, my whole tank was infected with ick and dropsy (I THOUGHT the fish looked healthy, but I guess not...)
I treated all the ick just fine, but my poor lil platy still has dropsy. I bought some meds that treat bacterial infections and treated my tank just like the instructions said, but he didnt get any better. The "failure" meds where already $10, and since my spending money consists of an entire $5 bill (All my cash is going twards Smudges nueter), I cant get anymore... And Im not trying to put price on my fishes life, but even if I had enough, I dont want to spend another $20 on more meds!
Ive tried some other DIY kinds of treatments, but nothing seems to work.
The dropsy isnt THAT bad, and its doesnt seem to be affecting my fish in anyway, so is there any chance he'll get better on his own?
Im having such bad luck with fish lately...
Any advice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The important thing to remember with dropsy is that it's a symptom, not a disease. When medications fail to work, it's probably because the dropsy isn't being caused by what the meds are treating for (in this case, it might not be a bacterial infection). Unfortunately, sometimes you just can't treat dropsy, but that's not always a death sentence and there are some other things to try first.

Something to try is a salt bath. Freshwater aquarium salt can be used and is only a couple of dollars for a carton (even if it doesn't end up working, it's great to have around and can sometimes treat diseases like Ich without having to resort to actual medications). The exact dosages tend to vary depending on the source, but for your purposes I would try starting with just a couple tablespoons per gallon of water. If that doesn't seem to be helping, you can try larger amounts.

To give a salt bath to a fish, set up a small container with clean de-chlorinated water that's the same temperature as the water in the main aquarium. Add the proper amount of salt and mix well. Put the fish in the container and leave it there for 5 minutes or so. Then remove the fish and slowly acclimate it back to the main tank or hospital tank (the latter is of course much better for treatment, but if you don't have an extra tank, you'll have to just put it back in the community tank). You can give it a bath twice a day.

Oh, and may I ask which medication you were using? Depending on what it was, I might be able to recommend something more general or stronger.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Oops, I thought dropsy WAS a disease. What other things can cause it then?
Ive already put alot of aquarium salt in my tank... Its probably almost brackish by now, LOL! I had the temperature up to 80-something too for a few days because Ive heard that can help, and I put Mardel Coppersafe in alot with my other ick meds (mostly for the other fish, but was hoping it would help him too), and the anit-batcerial med I bought is Api's E.M. Erythromycin. It supposedly treats a wide range of bacterial infections...
Id rather not do a salt bath (Id probably mess it up), and the only hospital tank I have right now is a 2 or 3 gallon fish bowl- Im thinking its too small.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 04:20 PM
I am allergic to maths

Lol, I thought dropsy was a disease too, good luck to your fishy!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Dropsy can also be caused by fungal infections, parasites, tumors, injuries, and certain diseases (like tuberculosis).

It's pretty hard to mess up a salt bath, but if you're too nervous, the only other thing I can think of is to maybe try a medication called Binox (by Jungle). It'll treat both bacterial and fungal infections. However, it's quite strong, and I'd be nervous using it on a whole tank.

The fish bowl would probably be alright as a hospital tank if you could get some sort of aeration in there (and keep the temperature up). If you have any air pumps or air stones, that'd work.

For now, just keep up with the water changes. Oh, and don't add any more salt, haha.

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Ok, thanks so much Sasami!
Ill check into the Binox next time I go to the pet store, and I will put him in my fish bowl (with a bubbler and some kind of heater) if I decide to treat him again. ^^
Oh, fine... Ill have to stop with my salt OCD.

Tags
fish dropsy