Dropsy? Is there a cure? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Dropsy? Is there a cure?

My beloved bubble eye goldfish has come down with dropsy! I am so sad,it's heartbreaking.

I wonder tho,is there ANY treatment? Sasami??? I had only one fish,a female betta many yrs ago who had dropsy and back then I was told there is no cure.

Is there anything I can do for my bubbley??? I already islolated him.He is currently in a 5 gallon for now.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:53 PM

Dropsy, Goldfish

Does this help...?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It depends on what's causing it. Dropsy is actually a symptom, not a disease.

So yeah, there may be a cure .

First fast him for a day and the next day try feeding a skinned and boiled pea.

If that doesn't do it then it may be an internal infection in which case treating him will be trickier.

Is he really bloated? Or just a little? Also, did this suddenly happen or has he been slowly getting worse? Is he pine coning at all?

If he doesn't get better from fasting I would try a salt bath. Use Epsom salt rather then regular aquarium salt. The general accepted rule tends to be 1 tablespoon per gallon. Prepare a small container (make sure the water is the same temperature as the tank...in fact, you may want to use tank water) and add the epsom salts to the water. Then you put the goldfish into the container and leave him there for 5-10 minutes. Watch to make sure he doesn't completely freak out although it's normal for him to be stressed out. While he's in the bath I'd do a water change on the hospital tank so when he goes back to his home it's nice and clean. You can give him a salt bath twice a day and I would try it several times over the next few days.

Keep up on water changes and if you have a tank heater I would raise the temperature into the low 80's. It will help if he ends up having parasites. If he does have parasites you should feed an anti-parasite food and add aquarium salt to the tank.

You can use a medication (sorry, I don't know what's available in Canada) made for internal infections as well. But I wouldn't medicate just yet and if you do make sure to start with small doses. You don't want to stress him out too much and using the wrong meds or large doses may cause liver damage and make things worse.

Oh, and have you netted him recently? Or saw him crash into something? Occasionally dropsy is caused by injuries.

Don't feel bad, either. Remember that dropsy is unfortunately rather common in goldfish...especially the fancy varieties.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks guys.I am going to read that site now in a sec,when I finish posting.

I actually didn't know it wasn't a disease,like I said...I never experianced it cept for once before.

Is it contagious? As he was in a tank with some other fish.

He hasn't ballooned up too much,but he is pretty bloated and his scales are starting to stick off.And this seemed to just happen.He was fine a few days ago and then just yesterday I noticed that he was bloated and it appeared to be dropsy,so I moved him to the hospital tank and today he don't look worse.He looks the same.

Nope,I never netted him recently,not until moving him.As for crashing into things,I haven't seen him do that recently.I do know he sometimes swims into the sides of the tank tho,almost like he can't see well.My celestial is the same way (cept he doesn't have dropsy).

Epsom salt? What's that? Is that like the bath salts?? I think I have those,if thats what it is.

* Lisa *

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:29 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Thanks guys.I am going to read that site now in a sec,when I finish posting.

I actually didn't know it wasn't a disease,like I said...I never experianced it cept for once before.

Is it contagious? As he was in a tank with some other fish.

He hasn't ballooned up too much,but he is pretty bloated and his scales are starting to stick off.And this seemed to just happen.He was fine a few days ago and then just yesterday I noticed that he was bloated and it appeared to be dropsy,so I moved him to the hospital tank and today he don't look worse.He looks the same.

Nope,I never netted him recently,not until moving him.As for crashing into things,I haven't seen him do that recently.I do know he sometimes swims into the sides of the tank tho,almost like he can't see well.My celestial is the same way (cept he doesn't have dropsy).

Epsom salt? What's that? Is that like the bath salts?? I think I have those,if thats what it is.
Ok, it sounds like it may be an internal infection. You might need to medicate but for now just fast him and do salt baths.

Dropsy itself isn't contagious but if it was caused by parasites or bacteria then the other fish may be at risk. I wouldn't worry too much yet...they'll probably be fine. Do a water change on the main tank, though, just in case.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate and is used in bath salts. I think some bath salts contain other ingredients, though, so check first. You'd be better off buying a carton of just epsom salts...a decent-sized container isn't very expensive. You can find epsom salts at drug stores, most grocery stores, health food stores, etc.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Ok, it sounds like it may be an internal infection. You might need to medicate but for now just fast him and do salt baths.

Dropsy itself isn't contagious but if it was caused by parasites or bacteria then the other fish may be at risk. I wouldn't worry too much yet...they'll probably be fine. Do a water change on the main tank, though, just in case.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate and is used in bath salts. I think some bath salts contain other ingredients, though, so check first. You'd be better off buying a carton of just epsom salts...a decent-sized container isn't very expensive. You can find epsom salts at drug stores, most grocery stores, health food stores, etc.
Alright thanks!

I will fast him starting tommorrow,since I already fed him today anyway.Oh wait,it's 3am...so technically it is "tommorrow"...okay so I shall fast him now.

I don't think I would trust my bath salts anyway.First thing when I get up I am gonna go have a look for some epsom salts and will do that.As well as give the main tank a water change.Actually I just might clean the whole thing out.

I will let you know how it goes and how he does! I hope that he gets better.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:40 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Alright thanks!

I will fast him starting tommorrow,since I already fed him today anyway.Oh wait,it's 3am...so technically it is "tommorrow"...okay so I shall fast him now.

I don't think I would trust my bath salts anyway.First thing when I get up I am gonna go have a look for some epsom salts and will do that.As well as give the main tank a water change.Actually I just might clean the whole thing out.

I will let you know how it goes and how he does! I hope that he gets better.
Good luck!! And don't give up, either. Sometimes dropsy can be really tricky.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks! I definatly won't give up! I want him to get better.He is my first bubble eye!! But if I need any tips or advice,I know where to come!

* Lisa *

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Heys I have a clawed frog with dropsy and I just wanted to tell you that there is hope!

I was told not to use salt because it really doesn't usually do much, and it can really stress them out. The person could have been wrong though, or it could have been because I'm dealing with a frog and not a fish. It will stress him though, and I've heard of it going both ways - I've heard of it working and of it doing absolutly nothing.

Anyways, it ended up that we think my frog has bad kidneys and can't process food right - certain foods or too much food make him bloat more then others. Don't feed him for a day or two, try the pea thing, and maybe even try a diffrent food because that's how I figured out stuff with my froggie. One food would make him bloat up overnight and other foods he would bloat much more slowly, or seemingly not at all.

It sounds like your fish might have an infection though, in which case feeding won't help. I don't know what to do about internal infection but I just wanted to tell you that with my frog, I had to take a very small gage needle and drain off some of the water that had accumulated under the frogs skin. He got so bloated he looked like a ball with legs. If they continue to bloat and nothing is done it puts pressure on the internal organs and they can die from that, without you ever knowing what the actual cause of the bloat was. Now I have to do it with that frog every few months because he will usually very slowly bloat again. He doesn't seem to mind to much though, and he is a very happy little froggie otherwise.

Anyways if I were you, I would maybe try the salt once and see what happens, and also fast him - but it sounds like you will need to medicate him. Usually with dropsy if it comes on slowly it's not to serous and can sometimes be controlled by food, but if it comes on quickly it is usually more dangerous and caused by an infection or something.

Good luck!Q1

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I lost him. R.I.P little fishy.

Thanks for the info tho.I hope your frog is alright.I used to have a pair of African clawed frogs!

* Lisa *

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 11:34 PM

RIP fishie.
Sorry Lisa
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Aww I'm sorry.

RIP little fishie!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Oh no, I'm so sorry .

~Stephanie

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:38 AM
laugh often

I'm sorry for your loss.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks.It was really sad,because just when I start helping (or trying to),he passes on.He was my first bubble eye and I didn't have him too long,but I loved that fish.

* Lisa *

Tags
african clawed, african clawed frog, african clawed frogs, aquarium salt, clawed frog, clawed frogs, cory cats, female betta, health food store, male betta