Duckweed - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Duckweed

I am interested in getting some of this for my tanks.

Anyone have any experiance with it or know anything about it?

I heard that it is easy to reproduce and hard to get rid of.I also heard that it thrives really,really well.I think it looks nice and want some.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's impossible to get here but I've considered having some shipped. It seems that it's nearly impossible to kill so I wouldn't worry too much . Just weed if it starts to completely take over.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

There is only one store that has duckweed.Thats where I seen it and I really liked the look.It seems they are having problems with it,thats what they said.And they have ALOT.So I might be able to get some free or really cheap.

I just wanted to know how easy it is to care for and whatnot.Plus if I get some and put it in my goldfish tank,the goldies will most likely eat some of it anyway.I had watersprite and well the goldfish ate most of it!

Since were on the topic,what are some other good,hardy species of plant that I could get for my goldfish tank??

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It really doesn't require any special care and yeah, the goldfish will love it .

Another plant I recommend for goldfish tanks is hornwort. Just leave it floating and it will suck up nitrates and provide a great snack . It grows so fast that it's usually hard for goldfish to eat the whole thing. Since it does best in cooler temperatures it's great for a coldwater tank.

Java ferns and Java moss are good, too. The goldfish probably won't eat those but they really help water quality. The moss is especially known for using up a lot of ammonia and nitrates. Both need to be tied to a piece of driftwood or a rock rather then being planted in the substrate.

Believe me, Java ferns are really hardy o_o. I have one in a small tank that gets 100% water changes (so not as many nutrients), is bitten by frogs, and has no light. It's doing great and even reproduces .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks for the info!

The funny thing is,the other day when I was at Petcetera looking at the live plants I seen Java fern for like $3 and was going to buy some.But then I decided not to,just to make sure it was alright!!
Now I wish I got it!! LOL! I will have to go back next week!

I never seen Hornwort around,but I will keep looking.

* Lisa *

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Lol, luckily Jave fern is pretty common. I know even the chain stores here carry it .

~Stephanie

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thats a good thing and from what I seen,not expensive either!!

* Lisa *

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I finally found Horntwort for $4.49 at Petcetera,so I picked some up today.However they have so many little snails! Very annoying! I had a snail problem before,NOT fun!

* Lisa *

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 AM

Good your finally getting into live plants!!!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I finally found Horntwort for $4.49 at Petcetera,so I picked some up today.However they have so many little snails! Very annoying! I had a snail problem before,NOT fun!
The snails shouldn't be a huge problem...they'll help keep the tank clean which is nice for goldfish tanks .

Or you could send them to me for my puffer .

~Stephanie

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
The snails shouldn't be a huge problem...they'll help keep the tank clean which is nice for goldfish tanks .

Or you could send them to me for my puffer .
I had an infestation of them a few years ago in my tropical tank.They are a nuiscense! And hard to get rid of too.They are really not welcome here.If they didn't breed so often,I wouldn't have a problem with them (I love snails)...but they produce SO much,they just become a nuiscense.

You gladly can have them all!

* Lisa *

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I had an infestation of them a few years ago in my tropical tank.They are a nuiscense! And hard to get rid of too.They are really not welcome here.If they didn't breed so often,I wouldn't have a problem with them (I love snails)...but they produce SO much,they just become a nuiscense.

You gladly can have them all!
Yeah, I know they reproduce fast but it's not like they do much. And the populations are almost directly related to how much food is available. So if snails start to take over again just feed very sparingly for a while.

Then again, I don't really mind them. And now if I got any my puffer would eat them anyways . Haha.

~Stephanie

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 11:41 PM

I snails.
I think I might go with a snail in my aquarium as opposed to tetras.We'll have to see as I only want one aquatic aquarium (well 2,turtles have water too )& I'm going to be using my other aquariums for other stuff
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 07:07 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Many of the pet stores I go to have turtle tanks filled with java fern and duckweed, all i do is ask and they gladly give tons of it away for free, and from a handful i get tons of it growing! soon its bugs me bc it covers the surface and competes with my reg plants, but I bet it would look awesome for turtle and frog tanks, you should post some pics of your duckweed tank

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I plan on getting some duckweed in the future.

Tags
fish tank, pet store, pet stores