Dwarf Puffers? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Dwarf Puffers?

I was just wondering if anyone can get me some info on Dwarf Pufferfish I was in another thread on here talking about moving my goldfish out of its current home and into something larger. There might be a possibility that in the near future I will have to upgrade yet again to another tank size. And so I might be looking at getting a Puffer species. I have tried Green Spotted Puffers and did not get much luck but hear that Dwarf Puffers are a little easier to manage, and you can have up to four-five in a 10 gal. tank.
I was just wondering if anyone can supply me with basic information about the fish maybe even pictures of the little guys. Just so that I can be informed when I go out and get the fish when the time comes.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I have one . He lives in a 5-gallon freshwater planted tank. I have tons of live plants and he lives alone. I probably could get tankmates but I'm about to go on vacation so I'm not buying new fish right now.

He's very easy to care for and eats mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, pieces of krill, bloodworms, and live pond snails. Like most puffers, they usually won't accept flakes or pellets.

Here's a great website: Dwarf Puffers : Home

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Will It Ever Change?

oooh you must post pics of these!!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
oooh you must post pics of these!!!
I bet they totally adorable, puffers always have such cute faces.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Loopy AppleNose

I have a couple of them. They are in a planted ~6 gallon, and they are very hardy, active little guys. They practically beg for food when you're in the room. Voracious feeders - very cool to watch them eat snails. They are certainly interesting fish to have around.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently reading: Light in August by William Faulkner
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I heard they are fresh water fish is that true? never heard of a fresh water puffer but..I have only had green spotted ones so..I don't know to awful much about those kinds of fish.
I really wish there were some books out on the market that covered only Puffers that would be kind of helpful. But so far I havn't come across anything like that.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala83 View Post
I heard they are fresh water fish is that true? never heard of a fresh water puffer but..I have only had green spotted ones so..I don't know to awful much about those kinds of fish.
I really wish there were some books out on the market that covered only Puffers that would be kind of helpful. But so far I havn't come across anything like that.
Yup, they are completely freshwater. There are actually a few freshwater puffers in the pet trade .

Even freshwater aquarium salt can be harmful to dwarf puffers, or so I hear.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Yup, they are completely freshwater. There are actually a few freshwater puffers in the pet trade .

Even freshwater aquarium salt can be harmful to dwarf puffers, or so I hear.
Wow thats something I have never heard of before... oh by the way I joined up on the Darwf Puffer forum on darwfpuffer.com thanks a lot of the link Sasami a great resource.

Oh just out corousity you don't know by chance if there actually are any puffer related books on the market do you? I would love to see if I could grab one up if there really is such a thing.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Loopy AppleNose

Well, it's a bit expensive, but I believe the best book on the market is Aqualog.

Amazon.com: Aqualog: The Puffers of Fresh and Brackish Waters: Books: Klaus Ebert

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4)

Currently reading: Light in August by William Faulkner
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Wow! yeah that is quite a bit much for a pets guide book. lol I think since that is such a big cost..I might wait until after I actually get the Puffs before looking into reading material of any kind. But even if I don't end up getting it there plenty of great reading material on the net to use too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitman64 View Post
Well, it's a bit expensive, but I believe the best book on the market is Aqualog.

Amazon.com: Aqualog: The Puffers of Fresh and Brackish Waters: Books: Klaus Ebert

Tags
aquarium salt, brine shrimp, pet trade