Euthanisia + clove oil - My story - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Euthanisia + clove oil - My story

I didn't want to post this in the other euthanisia thread because this isn't directed at anyone in particular.
Last night I had to euthanize my poor fishie He hasn't been doing well for several weeks and in the past 2 days it got significantly worse to the point where he couldn't swim properly. Deciding that he isn't having good quality of life I made the difficult decision to let him go

I did a LOT of online reading about this before I made my decision on what to do and I settled on clove oil since it seemed to be the most humane way. I went to the grocery store and bought the oil then came back to prepare the water. I put 4 - 5 cups of the fish water along with fishie in a little bucket and put him in a dark room to settle down. I prepared the clove oil mixture in a little glass jar with fish water (I think it was 2 drops of the oil) and shook it until the water was white for about a minute. I added half the clove oil mixture in with fishie I don't think I added enough at first (even though I followed the directions ) because he wouldn't go to sleep after 10-15 minutes and it was horrible to watch so I put a couple more drops in the jar, shook up the mixture and added more with fishie. Within 5ish minutes he was sleeping because he wasn't moving but every once and a while I could see his gills moving. After I knew he was asleep I mixed up the lethal dose in the jar (I put 6 drops to be absolutely sure) and shook it and added in. I left him in the bucket with the clove oil for a few hours to make sure he was gone before I removed him.

I thought I would share my story with others in case they have to face this at some point with their fishies. I found this was the best way because he didn't suffer, he just went to sleep.

RIP Mr. Fishie I will miss you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 07:59 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awww...I am sorry...

Euthanasia is hard anyway, I would hate to have to do it myself...I actually didn't know fish could be euthanized...interesting.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Yah I did lots of research on it before I did anything.. I just couldnt stand by and watch him suffering anymore you wouldnt believe some of the stuff I read about euthanizing fish.. from stomping on them to pulling them out of the tank and letting them suffocate to dropping them in boiling water... TERRIBLE! I couldn't imagine doing any of that to euthanize
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 08:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh thats horrible! Those ways are not "euthanising", thats more like murder! Stomping on them and boiling them!?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

yah there were some pretty disturbing things mentioned.. can't say I know anyone who cares about their critters ever doing anything like that