Fancy Tail with Dropsy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Fancy Tail with Dropsy

Our Little Guy has dropsy. He is the one that has had a swim bladder problem for at least a year and a half now it could even be over two years. He also was the one that got stuck in the return net of the pond and was terribly ripped up by it. He recovered with Sasami's help and was doing fine for some time before he developed the swim bladder problem. He has been in a tank with Greta another fancy tail for over a year. I switched him from commercial fish food to homemade food about a month or so ago. Because of this we started to handfeed him. He did well and would always swim up to eagerly gobble down the food. The last couple of days he seemed tired so I handed him the food. Thursday he was spitting it out but I thought he finally got a good mouth full. Yesterday he was not very hungry today was the same. I was worried but never expected dropsy. We were out for 12 hours today. When we got home he had pineconed. We checked the water condition and it was fine but we still did a water change. There was some brown algae on the tank sides. He is now out and in another tank. He is laying right next to te airstone. I tried feeding him antibacterial food. I think he may have gotten one piece down. I don't have anything else in the house that is recommended to treat him. I will go out tomorrow as soon as the aquarium store opens.

What suggestions does everyone have? From what I have read this is not good. I am very concerned it maybe a tumor - and that is what was causing the swim bladder problems.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I really, really hate to say this--but once a fish is pineconing, there's usually not much you can do . At this point, I would just try to make him feel as comfortable as possible. You can try some general antibiotics but it's hard to recommend anything since dropsy is caused by so many things (and if it's a tumor like you think then it's pretty much impossible to treat). Keep the water well oxygenated (adding an air stone will help a lot), especially if you decide to try medications.

Not what you wanted to hear, I know .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

No it's not what I wanted to hear but I appreciate you being honest. Thanks Steph.
Besides the airstone - which I do have in there - what else will make him comfortable. I do not want him to suffer. It's so hard watching him go through this because of all he has already been through.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I usually wrap hospital tanks in a towel so that the fish isn't stressed by lights going on and off, people walking by, etc.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Oh I thought the light would be better on. Should we turn it off? He really isn't doing well. He is laying there and not moving his gills. Although he did try to swim a bit
Thanks so much for your help - it means so much to us. It's amazing how much we love him.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Keeping the light off calms fish down and causes them to rest so it's a good idea (but not a huge deal or anything, just something I've always done).

I completely understand. I recently lost my lemonpeel angel, Angelica, and I was completely devastated. I don't plan to get another one.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

I am so grateful for everyone at pawtalk. It's nice to have people that really understand.
Thanks so much.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

try raising the water temp a small bit, they soemtimes appriciate it a small bit warmer, nothing over 23'. like sasami said keep the light off, feed him sinking foods, i reccomend Hikari sinking pellets, and keep up with the regular partical water changes... best of luck, my fish are keeping their fins crossed for him.....

2 dogs- Amie(16) and jack(10)(Terrier x's)
Degus
2 Fish tanks - Fancy Goldfish , Aequidens rivulatus (Green Terror called Hulk),Cichlasoma octofasciatum (Electric Blue Jack Dempsey called Bambi).
2 Bearded Dragons - Yoshi and Ella.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone but he gave up his very brave fight sometime before 7:30 this morning. We buried him beside our little pond out back. I will be posting in the rest in peace section.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
dropsy, fancy tail, swim bladder