Female Betta with possible ich PLEASE READ! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

lol I feel like such a goof I know I have heard that before but never thought of it once. I cleaned out Cleo's tank today and it looks tons better and so does she I am hoping that I might not have to do any more treatments with her, I am going to keep an eye on her and make sure she is ok for the next few days. My Boyfriends room mate actually is a professional tank cleaner and I think I might be able to get some free aquarium salt when I go up to visit my BF in a few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:43 PM
is a little "special"

Just wondering, how do you clean her tank? Do you take everything out or do you syphen out 1/2 of it? Its alot less stressful for them if you syphen it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I dont know if anyone else mentioned this, but i jus thought of it.. what kind of decorations are in her tank? could she be getting hurt on a sharp edge of something?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
My Boyfriends room mate actually is a professional tank cleaner and I think I might be able to get some free aquarium salt when I go up to visit my BF in a few days.
Its very cheap...you can get it at PetCo or PetSmart or usually at any Aquatic Shop. You only need a very small amount for a 2 gallon tank. A little carton should last you a very long time

Oh.. do you have a pick of Cleo yet?

Lve Never Fails

Last edited by luvnature; 08-09-2007 at 03:43 PM.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 03:42 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
I dont know if anyone else mentioned this, but i jus thought of it.. what kind of decorations are in her tank? could she be getting hurt on a sharp edge of something?
That could be... But I think it would be more likely that sharp the stuff would wreck her fins rather than her scales. Its a possibility tho.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Just wondering, how do you clean her tank? Do you take everything out or do you syphen out 1/2 of it? Its alot less stressful for them if you syphen it.
Actually I try to make it as not stressful on her as possible I take her out in a bit of the water she is in already and take out the plants and dragon eyes I have in the tank with her after I get her out. And clean them out until the water is clean...I to fill the tank again I usually either use bottled spring water or tap water that I will add decolonizer to (which if used I usually let sit for a few minutes before letting the fish back in. And if its a Betta's tank I usually put in fairly warm water so as not to have them go into shock or something like that. I am going to sound like such a boob but I have never heard of Syphen at all, I know my way is probably pretty weird..but it usually seems to work pretty well and trust me Cleo looked lots better after I put her in the cleaned tank...

My decorations are really simple nothing to gaged that I can think of. I use Dragon's Eyes instead of lose gravel so as not to get that crap in my drains as well as to not cut up on the fish the smoother stones have proven really nice. I also have some floating water plants up at the top which she apparently love to play around in. I have noticed she has buried down under the flat filter at times..cuz I have seen her literally disappear and freak me the **** out and then magically reappear from under the thing...so I can't tell if she is doing that cuz she is itching or something like that...or just why...I am off in KS right now with my BF and have left Cleo with my mom hopefully she will be looking a lot better when I get home..she was looking better when I was last home...so I am hoping that is continuing whilist I am gone.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 11:40 AM
is a little "special"

Some tips for cleaning...

A syphen is a clear tube that you can suck on one end (gross, ya) and water comes out the other end wich makes it easier to clean out tanks. I had never heard of them until 2 years ago. No offense, but cleaning tanks that way is really stressful on fish, because every time you empty the water, you get rid of all the "good" bacteria and other stuff that they need to stay healthy. A better way to clean it is to rake a plastic cup (if you dont have a syphen) and scoop out 1/2 th ewater in the tank, and refill it with frish water. That way they can keep the "good" bacteria and all in their tank, but the water is still being cleaned. You can stir up the rock to help get the crap scooped out too.

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Some tips for cleaning...

A syphen is a clear tube that you can suck on one end (gross, ya) and water comes out the other end wich makes it easier to clean out tanks. I had never heard of them until 2 years ago. No offense, but cleaning tanks that way is really stressful on fish, because every time you empty the water, you get rid of all the "good" bacteria and other stuff that they need to stay healthy. A better way to clean it is to rake a plastic cup (if you dont have a syphen) and scoop out 1/2 th ewater in the tank, and refill it with frish water. That way they can keep the "good" bacteria and all in their tank, but the water is still being cleaned. You can stir up the rock to help get the crap scooped out too.
Thanks I'll try that...if it proves to be too difficult I can just try finding a syphen I am pretty sure they would not be to expensive.. most fishy stuff usually isn't.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:15 PM
is a little "special"

Theyre really cheap- $10 for one with a gravel vacuum!

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Theyre really cheap- $10 for one with a gravel vacuum!
Oh awesome thanks for the advice...well when I got back home from my trip cleo has apparently ripped up some more of her scales luckily she does not do any damage to her fins at all. I am going to get a Syphen some time pretty soon to try cleaning with it. I might have to wait a while to pick one up since I don't have a ton of money right now...and I am planning picking up a new Betta this week either Thursday or Friday...and when I go in to pick up my guys I am also wanting to pick up..some Aquarium Salt and maybe some Frozen Blood worms. But will really depend on just how much I can afford if not I can always go back and pick some up next week too!
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Welp I just thought I would let everyone know that Cleo is just fine now...I have not seen any irregular spots on her scales for at least 2 weeks now.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 10:47 AM
is a little "special"

Yay for Cleo!

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

lol I still need to go and pick up new cleaning equipment some time soon...just very annoyingly money has been kind of low so will have to wait to get that taken care...of..but yeah luckily for the most part Cleo has been doing fine. She is still scraping her scales just a little bit most of the ones I have seen are so small and minor they go away pretty quickly.
And she seems perfectly active and healthy so I am not going to worry about it. I am going to be picking up a new crowntail Betta fairly soon which I am looking forward too! I will make sure to share pictures of him when I get him into the house.

Tags
aquarium salt, blood worms, doing fine, fish tank, gold fish, local pet store, pet store, pet stores, tap water, white spots