Female Betta with possible ich PLEASE READ! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Female Betta with possible ich PLEASE READ!

The main reason I wanted to put this post up is because I am not entirely sure if my girl actually has ich or not..but I am thinking it might be. I notice my girl had a big white looking spot on her head which I can't really tell if is ich or not since whenever she got close to me and I got a closer look at it it didn't look white it just looked slightly off in color from her scales. I'm not sure if she might have just rubbed one of her scales off by rubbing in the plant that she has in her tank.
But I also noticed there might be some spots that could be ich on her tail as well, but they seem to just be slightly off slightly off color from her natural color.

So I am not for sure if she has it or not, but there still is a pretty strong chance she could have it, since I did just introduce a snail to her tank about a week ago that was out of a gold fish tank...and I am no entirely sure but I think the goldfish died from ich them selves. So it could be very possible he passed it on into my Betta tank.

What I really wanted to ask is can I give my girl ich away, even if there is chance she might not have it? I want to treat my girl if she does have it but like I have said I am not entirely sure if she has it or not. So I just want to make sure if I do give her the treatment that if she happens to not have anything it wont hurt her?
lol I hope I am making sense I just noticed these things yesterday and I am trying to make quick assessment so that I can give her treatment as quickly as possible. I've had her for several months now and I would hate for anything to happen to her when she has been so healthy for so long.

I would have liked to provide pictures but my girl is moving around so much that there would be no possible way I could have gotten a very clear shoot at all. She seems to be eating like regular the only odd behavior I have seen is she seems to be really hyper swimming up and down the sides of the tank really fast, and also I turned up her water last night to try and make the water warmer since I remember reading that helps prevent ich i think. And I tired to check the water this morning to see if it had warmed and she tried to nip at my finger which she has never done before and I found it kind of odd.
I am hoping I can possibly give her some treatment later tonight, but like I said I wanted to make sure it was safe to do first. If you guys can offer any advice it would be much appreciated.
Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

i dunno about the ich as thankfully ive yet to have to deal with it myself, i just thought i would note that you have to be careful what medications you use in a tank with a snail, because they can be really sensitive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 09:20 PM
is a little "special"

It doesnt really sound like Ich to me. Are her white spots puffy and raised above her scales? Is she rubbing against things alot? Her is a pretty good pic of what it looks like:

http://www.koivet.com/images/gfich.gif

About her biting, thats normal. One of my old bettas would acually jump out of the water just to get a nip at me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

No none of her spots look that bad...but still I am not totally sure...I got some ick away today and I gave her a very small amount of the stuff. I am going to leave her be for a few days and not do any more medication on her...until I know for sure. I am pretty sure one of the goldfish I had did die from ick though just cuz his fins were all rooted away. I tried to not give her ton of the meds, and I am going to keep a close eye on her for a few days. Hopefully if I just be careful and don't over do it her and the snail should be just fine. I am actually going to go up stairs and check on them now.
I'll keep you all posted as to how things go...hopefully this is not ick and whatever it is will go away soon.
Umm not sure if she is rubbing on stuff a lot but last night when I checked in on her she was rubbing a lot on the plant that in the tank with her..and I've never seen her do that before. She wasn't doing it hardly at all today...not really sure wha that might be about.

Last edited by kala83; 08-03-2007 at 02:46 AM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Heys!

I just wanted to mention that I don't think you should just give her a little of the medication - if your going to give it to her then follow the directions on the container and make sure she gets the full course of the medication - or else it probably won't be strong enough to cure the ick and you'll be giving it to her for no reason.

Good luck! I hope your fishie is feeling better soon.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well I did try to follow the instructions as best I could I petty much had to make an estimate of how much I should use for my tank since it made some mention about for every 20 gallons you should use a tablespoon of the stuff. And the tank I have her in is just a 2 gallon and I think it would make her worse off if I gave her a ton of the stuff so I dropped in about 4 drops. She seems to be acting perkier and I think the spot on her head is lighting up so hopefully the meds will help her. I did the best I could, and yes just so everyone knows I did make sure to read the directions before using the stuff.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:13 AM
is a little "special"

Can you buy some aquarium salt? They have this special stuff you can put in your tank to help prevent diseases. I forgot what brand mine is... Just ask someone at the petstore and Im sure they will help you. It comes in a carton.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

hmm I have heard that aquarium salt is good for em too, I'll have to look into picking some up. I'm pretty sure my local store in town will have it. lol I need to pick that up as well as some blood worms for her girl I want to try to introduce her to some new foods so she can get a healthy diet.
But I have some good new my girl looks wayy better today I think the meds did the trick her spot on her head is barely noticeable any more. I am needless to say thrilled, thank you all for all of your helpful advice.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 AM
is a little "special"

Yay! Im glad shes better!

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well I have some disappointing news, I just checked in on my girl and all the way across her nose her scales have peeled off. I think she might have some kind of parasite the ick away that I have says it treats parasites as well so I am going to keep treating her hopefully this stuff on her nose will go away as quick as the other stuff did. I'll keep you all updated. I am going to pick up some aquarium salt sometime soon along with some frozen blood worms.. maybe that'll help perk her up some.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:55 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Forgive me if you mentioned this already (it's late) but have you tested the water parameters? It's not a good idea to medicate unless you know exactly what's wrong. Right now just keep the water clean and add aquarium salt if you have it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well I gave her a small medication treatment like I did before yesterday, and I cleaned like half the tank when I was treating her since it said to do so on the bottle. But I think before I treat her again I am going to clean out the tank...since it has been a while since I have cleaned it. I'm actually planning on cleaning out the tank tomorrow in the afternoon. The medication seems to be helping but I have been starting to wonder if the condition of the tank has anything to do with why she is getting sick like she is. Before I do anything else with the meds I am first going to clean out the tank..I apologize if I did something wrong in all of this I havn't had to deal with a sick fish before and I hope I am not screwing any of this stuff up. I just want my girl to be healthy again.
Thank you all for all of your help
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Do you have a test kit? to test the Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites in your tank water?

My Furry Family
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I don't think so? but I can always check around some local pet stores and see if I can pick one up...I am going to be going up to my Boyfriends for a week starting Thursday and one of his room mates is a professional fish tank cleaner I am hoping I can sit down with him and talk to him about Cleo hopefully I can get some advice on how to take care of her and what might be wrong with her. I wish I could get some aquarium slat and an Ammonia tester kit now. but I don't have any money and won't until next week...I hope it won't be too bad if I wait till then. I do think just to be on the safe side though that I am still going to clean out her tank this afternoon once I get home. (I'm at my school campus right now taking care of some morning errands) I really do appreciate all of the helpful advice that you guys have been giving and I really hope my girl can be looking well again. For the most part she seems fine she has been very active and swimming around, and she's eating...I really think she just might have some kind skin irritant in her tank that’s bothering her, which hopefully I can help fix and get rid of.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
is a little "special"

Usaully pet stores will test your water for free. Just take a sample to petco or someplace and ask if theyll test it. Thats what I do!

Tags
aquarium salt, blood worms, doing fine, fish tank, gold fish, local pet store, pet store, pet stores, tap water, white spots