Filtration - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Question Filtration

PLEASE someone help me
I need a filter.I need one for two 10 gallon aquariums. (which house a betta in each,a guppy & 2 dwarf african frogs in one 10 gal& 2 corydoras in the other 10 gal with the female betta.So,as you can see,I can't have a lot of current.I know some current can't be completely prevented.
The other aquarium,a 5.5 gal,I want to house neon tetras.
Not a big tank,so can't house much in it.
Filtration wise,I'm having awful luck.Please someone if you can recommend a low current filter thats safe for bettas,frogs& smaller fish...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

For the 5.5 I highly recommend the Azoo Palm Filters. They are low current filters designed for small tanks but they are also very effective.

For the 10-gallons I would look into Hagen AquaClears. Not only are they fairly strong but they also have an adjustable flow control....so you could turn it down.

I really like the Eclipse hoods they make because they have a great filter (it doesn't have a strong current, either) and nice lighting (the lighting can support most plants). See, the filter is built into the hood. However, I'm sure you wouldn't want to buy a whole new hood, hehe.

By the way, neon tetras shouldn't be in tanks less then 10-gallons. Not only are they active but they like to be in schools of at least six....a 5-gallon only has the room for a few fish. There are plenty of other options for small tanks, though. Platies, bettas, frogs, snails, shrimp, guppies, cherry barbs, pygmy cories, otos, pygmy gouramis (the true dwarves such as Honey Gouramis), and paradisefish could all live in that size tank. Some more interesting options would be a pair of Blue German Rams (they are cichlids...very gorgeous but also sensitive) or killifish. Or maybe a small newt or crayfish.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I would be willing to buy a new hood if it's a good price.I'll look it up
I'm an idiot,I should have guessed tetras need more space They are really fast fish.
I'll get used to this aquarium keepingness I swear.Only recently got really "into" it.

[Edit] I looked the hoods up.They are $62 plus US.
Thats not TOO bad.Filters alone usually run over $15 & I rather pay extra for something that would be better than cheap out& have hurt pets. So I'll probably be investing in that hood.Also love those filters.May buy the hoods for the 10gals& the Azoo palm filter for the 5.5

Last edited by candyraver; 01-04-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, the hoods are great because they have such great filters and lighting. My 5-gallon has one and I love it . The bio-wheel is a plus and makes using Bio-Spira easier since it was designed for the bio-wheel. And the Azoo Palm Filters are nice and very cheap...three different betta breeders I know use them .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 11:00 AM

two words BIO WHEEL!!!!! great its by marine land awesome I have it in my 10 gl with a betta

Tags
cherry barbs, female betta, male betta, neon tetras