First timer stuck with Goldfish - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

First timer stuck with Goldfish

I am in the process of cleaning my goldfish tank because my fish is looking kinda bad. He has developed a couple of knots on his side and his scales are really looking flaky.I came home from work yesterday and noticed he was just sitting in his cave, real still and not eating at all.I've had him for about a year and a half.

When I pulled the cover off the filter, I noticed some white slimy stuff floating on the filters.Some of it looked alot like a fungus or something. Can anyone give me some advice?

I plan to do a 50% water change, and add some quick cure and aquarium salt to the water, based on some recommendations from other websites.Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 08:47 AM
I am allergic to maths

Doing a 60% water change would help more, from what ive read you should bathe him in a separate with the salt water and put the quick or anti-fungal treatment in his aqarium
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have a 1 gallon fish bowl would that work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:08 PM
is a little "special"

Wait, is the one gallon fish bowl his home, or is it just for a hospital tank? If its his home, than he needs at least a 20 gallon tank. The bare minimum amount of space for a goldie is 20gal/ per fish.
A one gallon bowl might be OK for a salt bath, but Im not sure because Ive never done one. Is the fungus acually on the fish, or just in the filters? It might just be foam, or somtimes water that doesnt move alot gets a slimy film on top of it.
When you say he has "knots" on his side, do you mean bumps? If he acually has bumps on his side, Im thinking parasites.
Or "flaky" looking scales might be dropsy... Do you have a pic of your fish? Im a little confused.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Hello Earthling

As Jess said 1 gallon is way to small for even one goldfish. Gold fish need at least 20 gallons each with lots of filtration.

If you look from above is he pine coned? If he is he has dropsy.

I would start off treating him by getting a much bigger tank and adding aquarium salt as well as doing water changes every other day.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 01:56 AM
I am allergic to maths

I think he meant for the 1gal bowl to be his hospital tank, not his normal tank.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Yes, I was meaning a temporary tank. He normally is in a 10 gallon tank. Due to our "rookieness" we only have one of those starter aquarium kits from petsmart. Honestly, I didn't expect him to last long. But,I am proud that our family has taken as good care of it as we have. We test the water occasionally for the store to look at, and petsmart tells us its better than theirs, (I don't know if thats saying much..)

I couldn't add pics because I basically have no posts since joining, (a little weird.)

I'm a little afraid of putting him back in his aquarium,because he seems so weak. I cleaned the tank though, so maybe it might be better for him.Thanks for the advice. I can quarantee this will be my last goldfish!

Last edited by hotroddr32; 04-11-2009 at 04:47 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 12:15 PM
is a little "special"

Well, its great that your waters so good, but goldies can still die just because the tank is to small. If he survives, you should definatly upgrade to a 20 gal, but if he dies, I think you would be better off with a tropical community tank.
You can still upload pics on Photobucket (or another site) and post a link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Hello Earthling

If he survives a bigger tank is in order. By keeping him in a small tank you'll just be adding to your workload of the tank. More water changes to keep the water quality up and heavy filtration.

He would most likely be better off in the bigger tank at the moment where the water quality and temperature will be more stable.

I believe you can post pictures using the site directly. You need 20 posts before you can post any links (photobucket.com, web sites etc...)

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
I believe you can post pictures using the site directly. You need 20 posts before you can post any links (photobucket.com, web sites etc...)
That is what I am accustomed to doing on other forums I am active on. The 20 minimum posts is what messed me up.

Goldy's situation hasn't changed. I put him back in his tank, along with some aquarium salts. He just finds a spot and sits there, showing no signs of wanting to eat or anything. I may have to put him back in the bowl. It seems like he works real hard to swim in the tank. I get tired watching him! I told my daughters that whether he makes it or not, we've done all we can to give him a good home. It just might be his time. Thanks for the help.

If he doesn't make it,I guess we'll be going an easier route...but we didn't have options this time. Thanks alot grandpa!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Good luck with him. I would do a large water change every day since it's a small tank and the filter is probably weak (I'm assuming it's just a Whisper filter or something since it was in a kit).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unfortunately, "Goldy" didn't make it through the night. I guess I'll be cleaning the tank and setting it up for more "family friendly" fish. I have no idea what I'll look at but I'll probably stick with the 10 gallon for now. I may go with a different filter/pump but I'm not in a position to spend alot right now. Any Suggestions?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you could get guppies or mollies or platys each of those are fairly easy fish, and can live in a ten gal, they also can live together. You could also get cory catfish with them or ghostshrimp or snails

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Hello Earthling

You could do a tropical tank as I suggested in your other thread.

Good fish for a ten gallon are;
Guppies
Platies
Tetras
Betts
Small cories
Shrimps
Snails

Mollies actually do better in a larger tank with salt.

Other interesting fish to try is a dwarf puffer. They are freshwater but may not be the best fish for a beginer but it can be a fish to look forward to if in the future you chose to add another tank once you are more experienced with fish keeping.

Good luck

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Puffers need brackish water which is a cross between salt and fresh.

[/CENTER]

Tags
goldfish