fish for a 65gal setup? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalilady
A group of danios is pretty in a tank, otherwise some of the smaller cichlids do fine in a group tank, angelfish and bettas are always pretty. I have a pair of pearl gouramis and though they aren't brightly colored they are beautiful in a more subtle way. Swordtails come in a variety of colors. I have gouramis, a male betta, swordtails, long finned danios, rosy barbs, plecos, corys and khulii loaches in my 75 gallon.
could you post me a pic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

wow all these fish sound awesome...im researching all the names as we speak...lol...since im moving my plecos out of the 30 gal tank, i will also need some fish for the 30...is it ok to house a school of mollies or guppies in that size tank..how many is a comfortable number?

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 08:13 PM

Yes, we have a 30gal community tank. The rough rule is 1 inch of fish excluding the tail per on gallon of water. A 30 gal is an excellent size tank for mollies or guppies. I love guppies they are beautiful fish and no two are alike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
wow all these fish sound awesome...im researching all the names as we speak...lol...since im moving my plecos out of the 30 gal tank, i will also need some fish for the 30...is it ok to house a school of mollies or guppies in that size tank..how many is a comfortable number?
A school of fancy guppies would be great in a 30-gallon . I wouldn't do mollies. The reason is, they do best when they have at least some salt in their water...and that would bother your frog. Guppies like to have salt but don't need it.

Guppies are also less messy and prettier IMO . Five or six would be nice but it really depends on what you'd already have in the tank. What other fish are in the 30-gallon?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 PM

I have one picture, but I've never gotten the hang of taking aquarium pictures. You probably won't be able to see much in this picture, but here it is.
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
A school of fancy guppies would be great in a 30-gallon . I wouldn't do mollies. The reason is, they do best when they have at least some salt in their water...and that would bother your frog. Guppies like to have salt but don't need it.

Guppies are also less messy and prettier IMO . Five or six would be nice but it really depends on what you'd already have in the tank. What other fish are in the 30-gallon?
i dont have any fish at all in that tank..
any other fish recommendations that would thrive well in with the guppies?

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalilady
I have one picture, but I've never gotten the hang of taking aquarium pictures. You probably won't be able to see much in this picture, but here it is.
i like this picture,....what did you put on the background to get that effect?

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

what in your opinions is better, in terms of friendliness with other fish like say female bettas, cichlids or gourami?

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

with what other fish...guppies?? If so then not cichlids..they would eat your guppies i think.

Heres a link with guppy info...very good info
Guppies - Including Fancy, Show, and Super Guppies.

Heres some info on which fish get along with which other fish
Which fishes get along together

Tips for Choosing Fresh Water Fish That Will Get Along.

and the blue background that kalilady used i think is like that plastic stuff you wrap around the back of the tank and tape in place. You can cut it to fit. Looks very pretty. You can get that stuff at places like petco and petsmart.

Lve Never Fails

post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

thanks luvnature, those links are very helpful

i think at least want to have a pair of gouramis, maybe the smaller version..but its not a good idea to add more than one male into that tank right? what if they are in the same tank at the petstore? if i have gouramis, is it ok to have fish like bettas or even smaller fish like neon tetras?

this might be far fetched..but what about a paddle tail amphibian?....i wouldnt put neons in it, but would that be ok, i wouldnt put any salt in the aquarium either..?

sorry for all the questions....lol

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you can have more males but make sure you have a lot more females..someone suggested 1 male for every 3-4 males. In the petstore they dont really care and the males sometimes wont be as aggressive here. ...read my post on this thread
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77/v...ion-39119.htmlpost # 7(i answered it back there)
they just usually keep the males in one tank and the females in another so its easy to get the sex the customers want. But sometimes at the perstore they are mixed and if they do that the males will act more aggressive having females present too.

Lve Never Fails

post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

would gouramis be aggressive even if they didnt have females around them...? i guess im thinking of every possible way to get two males..lol..but i guess i would just get a male and female pair..

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

check out those links up there back in post #24 and it gives info on the aggressivness of gouramis and other fish too. You will get some good ideas.

Lve Never Fails

post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
i dont have any fish at all in that tank..
any other fish recommendations that would thrive well in with the guppies?
Platies and Swordtails come to mind because they literally have almost the same care requirements and are friendly.

Some tetra species would work but be careful as some may nip at the guppies' fins.

Cory cats, loaches, shrimp, and other bottom-dwelling creatures would also be ideal.

Quote:
what in your opinions is better, in terms of friendliness with other fish like say female bettas, cichlids or gourami?
Depends on the kind of fish. It also depends on what kind of Gourami and Cichlid you mean....there are many different species. In general, you'll find that female bettas are pretty peaceful. Although some females are just mean...it tends to depend on the individual betta.

Quote:

this might be far fetched..but what about a paddle tail amphibian?....i wouldnt put neons in it, but would that be ok, i wouldnt put any salt in the aquarium either..?

sorry for all the questions....lol
I assume you mean a paddletail newt? I've kept those...they are very neat. You could keep a pair as long as you have plenty of plants and hiding spots...they are one of the most territorial newts.

If you went with firebelly newts you could probably keep more...though paddletails are cuter .

I'm not quite sure what you are asking about the neons but neons may be eaten. In general you'll find that newts won't go after most fast-moving, healthy fish . So certain fish can be housed with them...I just personally don't do it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 02:33 AM

I have had male or female Bettas both do well with guppies, but some tend to nip at the males fins. Some leave them completely alone. A group of neons or cardinal tetras look really nice with Guppies, platies come in a variety of colors and take the same care as guppies. Zebra Danios would be the right size and pretty, but occassionally one is a fin nipper, if you have a school it is better.

Thanks for the compliment on the tank. When I took that picture, it was a metallic blue wrapping paper in the background. I've changed it since then, but it did have a cool effect.

I think that overall most gouramis are more peaceful then bettas and cichlids, but it depends on the fish. The varieties of dwarf cichlid would probably be fine with guppies. The smaller gouramis should be fine with neons or bettas, but some bettas like to eat neons. Two male gouramis may be fine without a female to battle over, again depends on the personality of the fish. I love my khulii loaches. They are very nice, but also very shy. I can go days without seeing them and then tonight, they were just cruising around the tank.

Tags
aquarium salt, cherry barbs, cory cats, female betta, female bettas, fish food, fish tank, male betta, neon tetras, pet store, pet stores, tiger barbs, vanilla rat