fish for a 65gal setup? - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

ohh and i was thinking that for my 65gal i would have the two plecos, gouramis, a tiny school of tiger barbs, and some female bettas, and a small school of neon tetras

for my 30 gal i think i will maybe try guppies and a dwarf chiclid? and some cory cats

and now i really like platies and was going to setup a ten gal with one male betta

i ve been to four different pet stores looking for some male gouramis...but even males are not very colorful for some reason....the females are more rounded while its the males that are more sleek and do they also have those two "whiskers"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 07:08 PM

The only thing I would worry about would be the barbs with the neons. We have a tiger barb right now and he is downright aggressive. I know they tend to be nippy and if you got one like ours he may eat your neons because they are fast too. I don't know for sure just a thought.
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
ohh and i was thinking that for my 65gal i would have the two plecos, gouramis, a tiny school of tiger barbs, and some female bettas, and a small school of neon tetras

for my 30 gal i think i will maybe try guppies and a dwarf chiclid? and some cory cats

and now i really like platies and was going to setup a ten gal with one male betta

i ve been to four different pet stores looking for some male gouramis...but even males are not very colorful for some reason....the females are more rounded while its the males that are more sleek and do they also have those two "whiskers"?
What kinds of Gouramis are you looking at? There are a bunch of species . Some are more colorful/peaceful then others. Definately research the different kinds.

And I'm pretty sure both genders would have the whiskers.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

whats a better way to tell their sex? i wanted a deep blue one..or a very white one...but its hard to find those at pet stores..they all seem so dull..

in my 20 gal i have one neon and one tiger...they get along ok...but i wonder if that s not just bc my tiger isnt with other tigers..

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:48 PM

Part of the reason they are more dull colored at the pet stores is the stress from moving, tank mates, etc. Most fish will color up even nicer when you get home and they get settled. The blue gouramis can get pretty blue. The pearls stay more neutral, but have pretty pattern. The dwarf and honey gouramis are usually more colorful, especially the males. They stay smaller too. Kissing gouramis stay light pink, but they also grow pretty big in a large aquarium. Have fun filling your tanks! I just cleaned and rearranged my 75 gallon, so am excited to add to it this weekend. It also gave me a good opportunity to count everyone. My tank is pretty well planted, so sometimes I don't see them all but feeding time. I currently have 1 Pearl Gourami (his mate died ), 4 Long-finned Danios, 2 Normal-finned Danios, 4 Rosy Barbs, 3 Cory Cats (2 Bronze, 1 Pepper), 3 Khulii Loaches, 4 Swordtails and 2 Plecos.
post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i just went out and got my fish, i am holding them in my 30gal until tommorrow....i have gotten 6 gouramis, 3 mollies, 3 tiger barbs, and on the side i got 6 baby neons and 3 ghost catfish which i think i will house in the 30..and if one of the 2 male gouramis have a problem then i will move him in my 30gal...thats my backup plan, plus i have 3 ten gallon tanks that are currently empty so if i got too many fish or if my 65 seems a bit too crowded then i have a back up for that too...

i cant wait to get some plants and get this tank up and running so i can finally take some pics

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Title Thief Victim

ohh nice! cant wait to see those pickys! lol sounds like a nice bunch of fish!

Carissasaurus Rex

post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i was going to get less gouramis than i had gotten, but i just went nuts at the store..i wanted some bettas and guppies but then i had to stop myself and back away from the rest of the tanks....lol

i have ghost catfish which i hear are very difficult to rear but i am trying i am temporarily putting them in my 20gal which has tons of plants and floating plants, i have put in a filter bc they need a stream like setting and i am going to have to get live worms and install a heater...im keeping my fingers crossed..

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Title Thief Victim

Sounds facinating! lol yea at pet stores i umm go nuts! lol

Carissasaurus Rex

post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:26 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

LUCKY, I have a 50 and wanted larger, 65galon for $135.... I have 4 Gourami's now and plan on more, plus I have Blackskirt tetras (regular and long fin) and cory's...plus a large pleco also. My corys live in the nice rock cave I made and the gourami's love it. I think for a 65 you could get away with 10 gourami's, plus a good few of the others...I am thinking on getting at least 10-15 gourami's in my 50 as there is so much room and that would be it, just Gourami's, Tetras, Corys and my pleco.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
i just went out and got my fish, i am holding them in my 30gal until tommorrow....i have gotten 6 gouramis, 3 mollies, 3 tiger barbs, and on the side i got 6 baby neons and 3 ghost catfish which i think i will house in the 30..and if one of the 2 male gouramis have a problem then i will move him in my 30gal...thats my backup plan, plus i have 3 ten gallon tanks that are currently empty so if i got too many fish or if my 65 seems a bit too crowded then i have a back up for that too...

i cant wait to get some plants and get this tank up and running so i can finally take some pics
Wow. That's a lot of fish to get at once. I'm hoping you cycled your aquarium already. It's usually better if you only add a few fish at a time to a new tank...otherwise you risk having ammonia problems.

Anyways, good luck with the mollies. They really belong in brackish water and can be hard to keep in pure freshwater. Definately at least get some aquarium salt if you don't keep them in brackish. If it were me I'd move the mollies into one of the 10-gallons and set up a brackish tank. You could use rocks and sand to make it look really cool and maybe get a pair of fiddler crabs or something .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 PM

Very cool!! Congrats on the new fish. I know exactly what you mean about moving away from the fish tanks. That will be me this weekend. I can't wait to see pictures.
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
LUCKY, I have a 50 and wanted larger, 65galon for $135.... I have 4 Gourami's now and plan on more, plus I have Blackskirt tetras (regular and long fin) and cory's...plus a large pleco also. My corys live in the nice rock cave I made and the gourami's love it. I think for a 65 you could get away with 10 gourami's, plus a good few of the others...I am thinking on getting at least 10-15 gourami's in my 50 as there is so much room and that would be it, just Gourami's, Tetras, Corys and my pleco.
you should definately post some pics..how much did you pay for your 50 gal?

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Wow. That's a lot of fish to get at once. I'm hoping you cycled your aquarium already. It's usually better if you only add a few fish at a time to a new tank...otherwise you risk having ammonia problems.

Anyways, good luck with the mollies. They really belong in brackish water and can be hard to keep in pure freshwater. Definately at least get some aquarium salt if you don't keep them in brackish. If it were me I'd move the mollies into one of the 10-gallons and set up a brackish tank. You could use rocks and sand to make it look really cool and maybe get a pair of fiddler crabs or something .
thats an awesome idea for the mollies, what i wanted to do was to put a tbsp of salt per five gallons...or at least per ten gallons.. i have all the fish in a 30gal, it contains cycled water, i will let it cycle and wait approx two-three weeks, they are slow growing bacteria and i know bc i have worked with them a lot last semester, im a microbiologist,...im also going to add a product called cycle which already has the bacteria, so hopefully that will speed up the process....i should of waited a little longer on the fish, but i got a little impatient...they are doing well i havent lost any yet, but thats bc i m housing them in my 20 and 30gal established aquariums.... other than cycling problems, my only concern now is with my ghost catfish with only eat live food..im using brime eggs and hatching them, does anyone know of a good way to get live bloodworms or something along those lines?

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Last edited by Skratikans; 01-31-2007 at 05:56 PM.
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalilady
Very cool!! Congrats on the new fish. I know exactly what you mean about moving away from the fish tanks. That will be me this weekend. I can't wait to see pictures.
lol...i will definately post them in a few days..im very excited, i have gotten a lot of plants but intend to in the next days to come

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Tags
aquarium salt, cherry barbs, cory cats, female betta, female bettas, fish food, fish tank, male betta, neon tetras, pet store, pet stores, tiger barbs, vanilla rat