fish for a 65gal setup? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

fish for a 65gal setup?

OK! so I have been researching a lot about aquariums and their prices ect.. I have learned a lot.

I got a 65 gallon aquarium yesterday, filter, and a screen lid, as well as a compact flourescent lighting system that will deliver 5watts per gallon

I have found that the best deals in aquariums is the all-glass-aquarium brand, bc a 40 gal is $120 while the 65 is 135$, and thats a great deal, considering I was looking at another brand that was 350$, thats nuts

the lighting was the biggest investment, but it will last for a few yrs before i have to replace the lights and just the bulbs themselves...so i am super excited... i got this tank with my plecos in mind, bc they didnt a tank that was really wide so they could not only be able to swim around back and forth but the turn around comfortably

so i have this tank, now besides my two plecos, which are 8in and wont grow any bigger, i would also like to have some fish in there, i wanted 2-4in fish that were colorful so i could have a school...any suggestions?

maybe two different species of schools..?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
now besides my two plecos, which are 8in and wont grow any bigger,
What type of pleco do you have? I have seen pleco's that have grown to a good 2 feet or more.

As for the fish, how about Rainbow fish? I think they are really pretty and there are many varieties.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
What type of pleco do you have? I have seen pleco's that have grown to a good 2 feet or more.

As for the fish, how about Rainbow fish? I think they are really pretty and there are many varieties.

yeah, i have seen them that big as well, mine can grow that big too, this is one of the four plecos i have, the two in my 20gal tank are the same but the two i will put in my 65 are about twice as big, they adapt to the amount of space and food available and they wont grow anymore, its been a year and they havent grown any, the same goes with my plecos in my 20gal tank...here's a better pic..

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:04 PM

I personally LOVE angels. They come in all kinds of colors and they get pretty big. We have a "big boy" tank with balas and angels and silver dollars etc. and I think it is my favorite tank.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Just to let you know, the plecos could grow more once they are in a big tank . Not too much more, though.

Angelfish would be nice and so would some larger species of Gouramis. For a school of fish how about neon tetras? They are common and very small...but in a big school they look really awesome!! You could get like twenty or something .

A shoal of cory cats would be perfect for the bottom .

If you did two schools you could look into rainbowfish and rummy nose tetras.

What kind of fish are looking for, exactly? There are sooo many different kinds that would be great for that size tank .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i m looking for showy colorful fish that would look as if in a huge pond with lots of plants..something that looks as if you are looking into a lake

i d like to get more ideas..these are great so far..

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Just to let you know, the plecos could grow more once they are in a big tank . Not too much more, though.

Angelfish would be nice and so would some larger species of Gouramis. For a school of fish how about neon tetras? They are common and very small...but in a big school they look really awesome!! You could get like twenty or something .

A shoal of cory cats would be perfect for the bottom .

If you did two schools you could look into rainbowfish and rummy nose tetras.

What kind of fish are looking for, exactly? There are sooo many different kinds that would be great for that size tank .
how big can cory cats get? bc my two plecos that i will be adding are i would say about 8in

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
i m looking for showy colorful fish that would look as if in a huge pond with lots of plants..something that looks as if you are looking into a lake

i d like to get more ideas..these are great so far..
Well, Gouramis are very showy . So are bettas...'specially Halfmoons.

I would look into barbs. A large group of tiger barbs is especially neat-looking.

Redtail Sharks are nice too...same with Rainbow Sharks. And neither species gets huge.

Quote:
how big can cory cats get? bc my two plecos that i will be adding are i would say about 8in
Cory cats stay fairly small. Pygmy cories don't get larger then an inch. Most species grow to be two inches. And a few (like the Bronze) can possibly grow to three inches...but that's rare.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami

Redtail Sharks are nice too...same with Rainbow Sharks. And neither species gets huge.

Cory cats stay fairly small. Pygmy cories don't get larger then an inch. Most species grow to be two inches. And a few (like the Bronze) can possibly grow to three inches...but that's rare.
ooooo..i love rainbow sharks, arent those the ones that get around ten inches or so? if i were to get two, would it be ok to get a few tiger barbs?

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
ooooo..i love rainbow sharks, arent those the ones that get around ten inches or so? if i were to get two, would it be ok to get a few tiger barbs?
I'm pretty sure they usually don't get larger then six inches . Bala and Black Sharks are the ones that get really big.

You would only be able to get one as they are supposed to be aggressive towards other sharks. If you had plenty of hiding places it might work but I wouldn't risk it.

The tiger barbs should be fine. They are fast enough that I don't think the shark would be able to catch them even if he tried. A school of six barbs would be great...this will help keep aggression down. Definately get at least four or five.

~Stephanie

post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

does anyone have any more ideas for somewhat colorful fish that are between 2-4 in? i like the gouramis

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
does anyone have any more ideas for somewhat colorful fish that are between 2-4 in? i like the gouramis
Female bettas (since males obviously can't be together), paradise fish, rainbowfish (although I think I already said them, lol), neon tetras, fancy guppies, platies, cherry barbs (the males are especially nice), rosy barbs, green tiger barbs, long fin or golden white clouds, some killifish species, some rasboras, mollies, gold angelfish, clown loaches...

Let me know if you want me to name more, hehe.

~Stephanie

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 10:11 PM

A group of danios is pretty in a tank, otherwise some of the smaller cichlids do fine in a group tank, angelfish and bettas are always pretty. I have a pair of pearl gouramis and though they aren't brightly colored they are beautiful in a more subtle way. Swordtails come in a variety of colors. I have gouramis, a male betta, swordtails, long finned danios, rosy barbs, plecos, corys and khulii loaches in my 75 gallon.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i like puffers, they look like little muntent lepard frogs i also like knife fish, they arent as color ful but they are just crazy looking

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 11:24 PM

i think we used to have parrot fish they came in blue orange and other bright colors
they were cool
im just not sure if the name was parrot fish

Tags
aquarium salt, cherry barbs, cory cats, female betta, female bettas, fish food, fish tank, male betta, neon tetras, pet store, pet stores, tiger barbs, vanilla rat