Fish with Betta - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Fish with Betta

Hey all! I was wondering what kind of fish can be kept with a betta.. and get along =)
I just set up my 10 gal for him, im letting it run for a while before putting him in, and im hoping to add a few fish in with him. any suggestions??
Thanks!
Nikki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's a tough question, actually. See, it depends on the betta as they all have different personalities.

I have a betta who is so peaceful that he lives with fancy guppies (they are not usually recommended because their long, pretty fins look like little betta fish). Right now he's with some baby White Clouds which are small enough for him to eat...he prefers vegetables!!

At the same time, I once knew someone with a betta that was so aggressive he attacked all other fish...plus plants o_o.

There was also a betta who was great with other fish...except cory cats. Which is weird because cory cats are bottom-dwellers that most bettas barely notice.

I would look for fish that don't resemble/aren't related to bettas. This includes fancy guppies and gouramis. Also, many people say to avoid certain tetras because they can be fin-nippers and male bettas have long, flowing fins. Remember, all of these fish can live with bettas...it's just that they aren't the best choices.

You should look into peaceful bottom-dwelling fish. Cory cats, oto cats, or a bristlenose pleco (no other plecos) are good tankmates. Some tetras can be housed with them but like I said, some are fin-nippers. Avoid ones that are "semi-aggressive", at least. I house my bettas with neon tetras but some people have had bad luck with doing that...either the neons were nippers or the betta was aggressive and tried to eat them.

Female guppies often work since they aren't as colorful. Endler's Livebearers, Platies, Cherry Barbs, White Cloud Minnows, Rasboras, and Swordtails are some more fish that often make good tankmates.

Danios can live with bettas but I wouldn't do that. See, Danios are crazy-hyper and apparently can stress bettas out. Plus they do better in cool temperatures. They are nippy, anyways.

Some non-fish tankmates that are good in a 10-gallon are Apple Snails, Ghost Shrimp, Cherry Shrimp, and African Dwarf Frogs. Keep in mind some bettas will eat the shrimp.

Remember that you shouldn't have a ton of fish in a 10-gallon. Yes, it's larger then previous tanks you've probably had but still small by aquarium standards . That's not a bad thing, I love small tanks, but it means you need to be careful not to over-stock and add fish slowly.

Oh, and I recommend using the fish food method or Bio-Spira to cycle the tank. Unless you use Bio-Spira remember to cycle the tank before adding any fish. This doesn't just mean letting the tank run for a while.

Just remember that some fish intros just won't work out. Always have a back-up plan...maybe return fish to the store if they don't get along with your betta. I've personally never had any problems with keeping my bettas in community tanks . Of course, I heavily plant my tanks so there are plenty of hiding spots. If you aren't into the live plants then get lots of fake ones.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks so much! I dont plan on getting a lot! Just a FEW to keep him company. Hes going to look so small in that tank lol. I was thinking of getting a bottom fish.. not sure what kind yet though. And 2 or so other fish. So I will look up some of those and see how they go! Thanks again!!!
My betta seems kinda agressive... so I dont know how much he will like other fish, but ill keep my fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik8806
Thanks so much! I dont plan on getting a lot! Just a FEW to keep him company. Hes going to look so small in that tank lol. I was thinking of getting a bottom fish.. not sure what kind yet though. And 2 or so other fish. So I will look up some of those and see how they go! Thanks again!!!
My betta seems kinda agressive... so I dont know how much he will like other fish, but ill keep my fingers crossed.
Good luck .

Oh, and I have a betta who I thought was aggressive since he flares at everything. But he lives with a platy, neon tetras, and cory cats .

Just remember to be careful not to get any fishies on impulse because the person working there says they'll be fine. Happens to lots of people and then they research and find out that the fish grows to be five feet long or eats fish .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

oh, i never listen to pet store people. they.. no offense.. have NO idea what they are talking about. It furiates me every time I go in and hear them talk, because 99% of the time... its lies. And they are not selling what is truely best for that animal. ugh.. i wont even get started. but.. I will definitely do good research before buying. =)
--my fish (evil fish i call him) flares at EVERYTHING, I walk in the room and he flares.. so.. hopefully he will do good with others! lol
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

In with my betta I have cherry barbs (very friendly little barbs compared to some of the larger variety) rummy nosed tetras and 2 albino cories and a snail. I've had them all nearly 2 years and they all get along perfectly fine. But it depends on your betta as to how he will get along with other fish they vary some are fine whereas some prefer solitude

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
oh, i never listen to pet store people. they.. no offense.. have NO idea what they are talking about. It furiates me every time I go in and hear them talk, because 99% of the time... its lies. And they are not selling what is truely best for that animal. ugh.. i wont even get started. but.. I will definitely do good research before buying. =)
--my fish (evil fish i call him) flares at EVERYTHING, I walk in the room and he flares.. so.. hopefully he will do good with others! lol
Hahaha, my betta flares at everything too. But like I said, he gets along great with other fish and is buddies with a platy.

I think that bettas who flare a lot are probably more aggressive towards other bettas but not nessasarily towards other species of fish .

~Stephanie

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:49 PM

All of my bettas (besides three out of 9) are kept in communities. Some do well with guppies, although some love the flashy colors and will chase and rip. So I dont suggest guppies unless you know your betta really well like I do mine. I suggest fish that arent as flashy colored and bigger in size -- angelfish might work.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMeBre
All of my bettas (besides three out of 9) are kept in communities. Some do well with guppies, although some love the flashy colors and will chase and rip. So I dont suggest guppies unless you know your betta really well like I do mine. I suggest fish that arent as flashy colored and bigger in size -- angelfish might work.
I have to disagree with the angelfish part. They need a much larger tank then 10-gallons .

But yeah, guppies are kind of a 50/50 chance that your betta will be ok with them.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

My dad used to have a huge community tank. and he ALWAYS had bettas in with the other fish. And whenever he had a angelfish, they would tear the betta up in no time. So everytime I hear someone saying get a angelfish.. i just cant understand it! lol.
My parents surprised me a few days ago...my mom keeps telling me in not allowed to have anymore pets.. and i set up my aquarium without her knowing.. so she walks in my room like a day or 2 after I set it up, freaks out on me.. then the next night, her and my dad go out and buy me a $20 polka-dot botia! She said my betta looked lonely (i think shes trying to get out of buying me another birthday present lol) So.. I named him George and he and evil fish are getting along great! Turns out my betta isnt mean at all. It seems that after I moved him to a bigger tank, with warmer water, hes happier =) And he doesnt flare much anymore... which kinda sucks haha. But once I turn the light off in his tank, and my room light is on.. he goes to fight mode with himself haha.. too cute
Ive been researching a lot on fish. And at the moment im planning on either...
2 kuhli loaches
1pleco
maybe hatchets
cherry barbs
maybe some tetras (there are a few different kinds im looking at)
or harlequin rasboras.
but im going to be picky.. and choose the ones I really like.
=) At least my betta is happy
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 AM

We had a 55 gallon tank when I was younger and we had just a little mix of fish in it. From Guppies, to neons to Angel fish. I had a Betta in the tank and he was great in there. The only time he got testy was if the other fish went up into the plants to go after the babies. He was the baby defender. The one that went after them the most was this hugh Angel fish we had. One day it and the 2 other of the Angel fish attacked and Killed the betta before I could get him out. I have not been able to stand an Angel fish since.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:26 PM

its mostly the bettas personality that effects tank mates most, for years they have been bred for color and finnage and less for their fighting skills and are a lot less aggressive than they used to be. i have had bettas with corys,otos,cardinal tetra,other small tetras, platies, and many others. in a 10 gallon i would have a few corys and maybe a shoal of tetras,cardinals are nice
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
My dad used to have a huge community tank. and he ALWAYS had bettas in with the other fish. And whenever he had a angelfish, they would tear the betta up in no time. So everytime I hear someone saying get a angelfish.. i just cant understand it! lol.
My parents surprised me a few days ago...my mom keeps telling me in not allowed to have anymore pets.. and i set up my aquarium without her knowing.. so she walks in my room like a day or 2 after I set it up, freaks out on me.. then the next night, her and my dad go out and buy me a $20 polka-dot botia! She said my betta looked lonely (i think shes trying to get out of buying me another birthday present lol) So.. I named him George and he and evil fish are getting along great! Turns out my betta isnt mean at all. It seems that after I moved him to a bigger tank, with warmer water, hes happier =) And he doesnt flare much anymore... which kinda sucks haha. But once I turn the light off in his tank, and my room light is on.. he goes to fight mode with himself haha.. too cute
Ive been researching a lot on fish. And at the moment im planning on either...
2 kuhli loaches
1pleco
maybe hatchets
cherry barbs
maybe some tetras (there are a few different kinds im looking at)
or harlequin rasboras.
but im going to be picky.. and choose the ones I really like.
=) At least my betta is happy
I'd love to see a picture of the botia loach . Just remember that they need really good water conditions and are able to grow fairly large...you may end up needing a bigger tank.

With the betta and your loach already in there you can't really have a pleco since they are so messy. Cherry Barbs or Rasboras would probably be the best choices . Just stock lightly...since your loach may grow to be five inches long you really don't want to get too many more fishies.

As far as tetras, neon tetras are great. I really like those. The only thing is they like to school so you'd need at least five. Which would be slightly overstocking...'specially once your loach grows. So definately keep up on water changes if you go with tetras.

~Stephanie

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, betta fish, bigger tank, cherry barbs, cory cats, dwarf frogs, fish food, fish tank, ghost shrimp, male betta, neon tetras, pet store