Fish that don't need filters - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Fish that don't need filters

I got a 10-gallon tank and since it will be a while before I can get a filter I thought I would put Jojo the betta in it. What other fish could I put with him that don't need a filter? Something that eats algae, etc?

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 07:29 PM

I was always under the assumption that you can't really put anything in with a betta...We had one years ago and he cleared out the tank within a month...ate everyone else
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Me, too, but a few people here had said before that it depends on the betta.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 09:32 PM

I think it does depend on the betta. I do highly recommend getting a filter first though. You can get a small Whisper (hang on the back kind) filter for around $10. I've had several bettas and some started out with no filter. They perked up soooo much after I got a filter. With that much water, you're going to need some movement and filtration in there. Um, I'm not sure what fish to try as I have had very aggressive males who have been by themselves. If you want something that eats algae, you could always get a snail. I have one in with my female betta and they do fine. You could also get an algae eater of some kind, but just to let you know-most of them get really large and can be aggressive as well.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Well, I do not know about not having a filter, but our Bettas live happily (in a 5.5g tank) with small plecos, tetras, & minnows. The one pleco is even a veil tail (long flowey tail) and has not been bothered. I did try them with the Gourami's (If anyone remembers me asking about that way back) and they did not work out. (no one died though!)

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 10:01 PM

Plecos are a good suggestion. Keep in mind though that they get HUGE and live for years and years. They eventually become very aggressive too. You should see the one in my uncle's 300 gallon tank. Its about a foot long and 6 inches wide. Mine grew to almost 10 inches and I had to give it up.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Another bottom feeder you might look into (don't know how they do with Bettas but thought I'd mention them) are cory catfish.

Stephanie

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Another bottom feeder you might look into (don't know how they do with Bettas but thought I'd mention them) are cory catfish.
Yep! I have three in with my female betta. She does pretty well with them. They live a LONG time too. I have had all three for about 10 years. They don't eat algae but they are great for cleaning up leftover food that falls to the bottom. They enjoy living in groups and they are really entertaining fish. They would definitely need a filter.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 10:28 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

The plecos I have max out at 4-6 inches, they aren't "common plecos", they're bull-nosed. Though they still will need to be upgraded to a larger tank later in life. Cory cats I have heard, can be aggressive &/or fin nippers, so I chose to stay away from them.

Come drop by!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixx
The plecos I have max out at 4-6 inches, they aren't "common plecos", they're bull-nosed. Though they still will need to be upgraded to a larger tank later in life. Cory cats I have heard, can be aggressive &/or fin nippers, so I chose to stay away from them.
Wow, thats awesome! I have never heard of those kinds of plecos! Corycats (corydoras catfish) are actually really gentle. They are peaceful bottom dwellers/scavengers and they never chase or bite fish. I don't even think their mouth can even bite something because of the way its shaped. Could you be thinking of another kind of catfish? I know some catfish can be aggressive...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 11:52 PM

Here's a link to cory info and pics. Says they are the most peaceful and entertaining scavengers. They really are cute little guys.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...&TopCatId=1161
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 11:52 AM

Many places will recommend those small albino frogs with bettas.

I've kept bronze corydoras with bettas without any problems. But as has already been mentioned it all depends on the individual betta.

If you really want to avoid filters then I wouldn't add any other fish to your betta tank. Plus you really do need to do frequent water changes without the filter.

Plecos produce a great amount of waste. There is no way I'd place one in a tank without a filter. Also if hungry they may suck the slime coat off of other fish. Not to mention because of their size most need a very large tank to be healthy. My common pleco (what you see at most pet stores) is already 14 inches long!

My pleco: http://www.peggydunn.com/photos/pleco1.jpg

My bettas: http://www.peggydunn.com/photos/apaches.jpg
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

You are right, I was mixing them up with those other algae eaters! Yup, those guys are good. O, I also remembered I have algae eating shrimp in there too, they are excellent at getting it & stay small.

Come drop by!

Tags
algae eater, cory cats, female betta, male betta, pet store, pet stores