Fish Killer! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Question Fish Killer!

I habe a serious problem every time i get a fish it dies in the next week or so. what am i doing wrong!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

I think we'll probably need more details to tell whats going on.

What kind of fish do you try and what's your tank set up? Also, how long as your tank been set up for, and have you ever gotten the water peramaters (pH, nitrates, and stuff like that) checked? Most pet stores will check the water for free if you bring in a sample.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:28 PM

Don't forget to cycle your tank as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:35 PM

What are its Diets?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 11:26 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree...more details are needed! How big is the tank?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I also agree that we need more details but I'm going to guess that either you didn't cycle the tank or didn't dechlorinate your water.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:21 PM
is a little "special"

Brynns my buddy so I can tell you 4 her: Her tank was A 5g w/ a undergavel filter, yes she declorinated it, and she had guppies, platties, goldfish, betta, and a AD Frog. They ALL died and I really didnt know what was wrong, cause she seemed to be doing stuff right. I was really amazed when her betta died cause those r usaully pretty hardy... Now her nickname is "Darla" like from Finding Nemo LOL!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

WOW!-to me thats WAY too many animals to put in such a small tank, smaller tanks are really hard to maintain bc the environment can change so drastically, with this many fish it was most likely a high build up in ammonia....

what you should do is get a ten gallon at least and DO NOT overstock on fish, bc this is most likely the cause of ALL their deaths..in general one inch fish per gallon....with your five gallon tank you shouldnt put more than1-3 fish...

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:57 PM
is a little "special"

Oops... misunderstanding. She had all the different species at different times... not all together!!! Then that would be bad! And the most she had at one time was 3.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:27 PM
RAT ADDICT

I was going to say! That many fish in a 5 gallon - bad! Plus goldfish are some of the dirtiest fish out there,so putting them with platties and guppies is a bad idea.Not only because goldfish produce alot of waste and amonia,but also because goldfish are cold water fish and platties and guppies need heaters.

What did she clean the tank with? There could of been chemical residue in the glass or the gravel or anything,if she used them when cleaning! How about nitrates and things? Have she had those checked?

* Lisa *

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM
is a little "special"

I think syphened it for her once, but I'm not sure. Brynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! Where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu?!

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I also cleaned it with a plastic cup that was totally sanitary for the fish.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I also let the water sit for 24 hrs before i put it in and i put in the chlorine killer. :sad:
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 02:42 PM

Hey brynn... There's one possibility left - as it sounds as though you're doing your part. It's possible that your supplier is not maintaining his/her stock carefully. Whenever you buy a fish/frog/newt/whatever be sure to look at all of its tankmates. If there are any with white spots/clamped fins/bulging eyes - just about anything out of the ordinary... go to another supplier or at least another tank. Because even if the fish you buy looks healthy, it may be incubating disease organisms within its body. If that is the case, many times it will die within a few days of being brought home.
I won't name names, but there is a "big box" type store where I live that is notoriously bad at keeping its fish healthy. They sell enough other "stuff" so that if a few of your fish die they don't really care too much. Just a possibility... Good luck. <-Steve->
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 02:52 PM
RAT ADDICT

^^^
Awesome post!
I didn't even think of that,but it is a very big possiblity as well!

* Lisa *

Tags
doing fine, female betta, female bettas, hbh betta bites, male betta, pet store, pet stores, white spots