Fish lost its color - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Fish lost its color

Well I have 2 goldfish. About 5 months ago me and my family had to leave our home for personal reasons and we had to leave the fish behind.. after 2 months of not being fed and cleaned they're still alive the only problem is that one of them (who was black) started losing his color.. other than that he seems really healthy and happy. Does anybody know what causes this and if there's a way to solve this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What size aquarium is it? What are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? What is the pH? What temperature is the water? How long have you had the fish?

Sorry for all the questions but it's hard to answer your question without more information .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

I don't know how big the aquarium actually is.. just a regular rectangled one.. enough for two little fish. I don't know any of those readings either.. I have this blue liquid that makes normal water alright for goldfish.. I believe its called aqua safe.. Non of these can be the problem because they lived peacefully for about 13 months.. The problem really started when I was forced to leave the house and the person in charge didn't take care of them.. the water was completely gray when i returned so that's probably why one fish lost its color.. should this be something to worry about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 10:15 AM

Most of the black goldfish will turn a true gold as they get older. Just clean up your tank and get them back on a regular feeding, they will snap right back. kind of like fish in a pond.....no food...no function. Add food become glowing light feeding machines
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks
Good to know its nothing serious.. I already fed them and cleaned up and they seem happy and all.. I was just really scared that the one black fish might have a scary disease or so.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 07:10 PM

I had a golfish that was half black when I first got it and eventaully turned all gold within 6 months.. I think it's an age thing also
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 05:18 PM
RAT ADDICT

With goldfish it is common for younger fish to change color or lose color as they age!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 05:28 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

My fish Fancy used to be of a browny silver colour when he was younger, I was staying in a bright orange room at the time and sure enough he turned orange.

When I moved into my new flat and put him in my new four foot fish tank two years ago, he has decided to lose his orange again, he has a white body and orange on his fins, head and over his mouth.

Sometimes fish lose their colour if they are stressed too.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.

Tags
fish tank