Fish/tank question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Fish/tank question

Okay,first off, when I got my fish, I knew almost nothing as far as how to care for them.
I have two freshwater fishtanks- one has a london shebunkin (spelling?) in it & the other USED to have a black moore and a standard goldfish. Used to because the moore has eaten the goldfish..which I've read usually happens the other way around. Okay, the top tank is doing great, its the moore's tank I am concerned about. Since I knew nothing about fish care, (& it came from a yard sale) the tank did not have a filter installed. I picked up some external filters, but due to the shape of the tank and how the lid sits, I cannot put it in. It needs an undergravel filter, but not only do I not have a tank for him to stay in while the other one sets up, but I have no idea what to buy, what size, how to work it, nothing. Any advice? The tank is a Galaxy 5, which searching proves to apparently not exist.
btw, I do regret getting fish without taking the time to be informed, so I don't need any directions on my guilt trip.

Last edited by evil_vegan; 05-22-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:33 PM

how big is your tank? does galaxy5 mean it is 5 gal or is it just a name? here is my concern--moors are goldfish and goldfish are extremely dirty fish. they need large tanks and good filtration in order to thrive. i personally have never used undergravel filters but i have not heard anything good about them. i would suggest a larger tank and a good filter and i wouldn't add more than one or two fish depending on the size of your tank. i don't know everything my husband and i have been keeping fish for a little over a year now but we have learned alot in the time we've had them and have been pretty successful in the last 8mo or so. anyway hope that was helpful.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:34 PM

p.s. fishkeeping can be addicting careful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara8
how big is your tank? does galaxy5 mean it is 5 gal or is it just a name? here is my concern--moors are goldfish and goldfish are extremely dirty fish. they need large tanks and good filtration in order to thrive. i personally have never used undergravel filters but i have not heard anything good about them. i would suggest a larger tank and a good filter and i wouldn't add more than one or two fish depending on the size of your tank. i don't know everything my husband and i have been keeping fish for a little over a year now but we have learned alot in the time we've had them and have been pretty successful in the last 8mo or so. anyway hope that was helpful.
I agree. 5 gallons is too small for most fish, to be honest. A single goldfish should be in at least a 20-gallon tank and for two you'd need at least a 30-gallon.

Undergravel filters aren't really that great, either.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

It's actually a 15 gallon tank. Galaxy 5 is just the name. I will have to check my other 20 gallon to see if it holds water.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 07:08 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

15 gallon is ok just for a single black moor, if you wanted to get more fish you would need to get a tank with 10 extra gallon per fish you add so for example for 3 fish you would be looking at probably a 40 gallon tank to give clearence for gravel, ornaments, plants etc.... But for a fish on its own 15 gallon is ok as long as it has good filtration. I agree with sara8 goldfish are filthy creatures and an undergravel filter isn't really ideal for them because of the amount of mess they create. I have a large tank with 2 fan tailed goldfish and a black moor and i have a powerful filter and i'm cleaning the filter once a fortnight to keep on top of it aswell as vacuuming the tank so they are quite messy. So an internal box filter would be better for you especially if you get a powerful one as if you position it near the top of the tank so it breaks the surface slightly it will add oxygen into your tank so you won't need an air pump (again saving you space). I think box filters are about the same price as undergravel if not cheaper and are definately better in my opinion especially for goldfish

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 07:59 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes, as everyone above says, goldfish are really dirty!Some of the dirtiest fish you could have, so you need a GOOD filter and a large tank.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *