Fishies!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Fishies!!!!

Well my boyfriend bought me a table top aquarium for my birthday!!! Right now we are waiting for the eco system to build up in the tank so I still have about 1 1/2 weeks before I can get any fish but I was wondering if anyone could recommend some cute little fish that can go in a fresh water tank that is about 15 gallons? How many fish is a good amount to have in a tank this size? Etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Congratulations It depends on what size fish you want and what kind of tank you are aiming for in my opinion as to how many can live happlily in a tank. You definately don't want to go for goldfish as they grow too big for a tank that size so i think tropicals would be your best choice as there is lots of variety and colours and they tend to be smaller. I'd suggest maybe one feature fish such as a male Gourami or a male Betta (although some bettas prefer to be kept alone and a lot of controversy over whether they are truly community tank fish or not) and maybe some tetras or rasboras and some pygmy cories or shrimps. If you want a fish with character though the Betta is definately one to consider as they are funny little things but there is a lot of choice out there and worth getting ideas now as to what you like and then researching them to see how they fit in with your tank size and other fish you like. I'd also choose hardy fish for a start and add gradually over a period of 1-2 months so not to over kill the eco system thats built up in cycling the tank! Goodluck and keep us informed as to what you choose

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah I thought about tropicals. I definitely want fish that will stay pretty small. I'm not really going for a "theme" in my tank I just want to make sure I have fish that can co-exist together and that I get the right amount of each kind of fish.

A beta would be nice, I always thought they were interesting. Why is there debate about whether or not they are good or not as community fish? I know that males can be aggressive with each other so you should only have one but hadn't found anything about not keeping them in a community of other fish.

Oh little shrimps would be fun and maybe a little frog too. Do you have to worry about them getting out of the tank? There is a small open part in the back of the tank where the cords come out and I remember a friend who had a little frog that kept getting out of the tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdyDragon
A beta would be nice, I always thought they were interesting. Why is there debate about whether or not they are good or not as community fish? I know that males can be aggressive with each other so you should only have one but hadn't found anything about not keeping them in a community of other fish.
They are classed as community tank fish and for the majority most do pretty well in that kind of situation but there is the odd few who don't and bully the other fish or are aggressive towards others. There is a debate by some people on whether or not they are truly community fish or not due to the aggression and the fact most smaller fish tend to be fin nippers and would annoy the betta by nipping his fins and hence aggressive behaviour again. You just need to be aware that if things did turn nasty you would either need to provide him a tank or bowl of his own or rehome him and also make sure you don't get any fish like guppies or with longer tails which are bright and would make him think another Betta is present and also don't house him with female Bettas as they would kill each other also. The key to creating a good tank in my opinion is choosing fish for every level so top middle and bottom to give the tank interest and having one key fish for the tank and you can't go wrong

Quote:
Oh little shrimps would be fun and maybe a little frog too. Do you have to worry about them getting out of the tank? There is a small open part in the back of the tank where the cords come out and I remember a friend who had a little frog that kept getting out of the tank!
The only one who might escape would be the frog but it depends how big the small hole is and whether or not it would pose a problem, could it be covered?

Kirsty

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I really like the Beta fish but I think I might wait on getting one because I would hate to put it in the tank and then find out it is not getting along with the other fish and have to remove him to a bowl.

What about catfish types there are a few small ones, are they good community fish?

I'm sure we could rig up some cardboard or something to the back of the tank. The 2 holes for cords are not small so something as small as one of those frogs could easily get out.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 05:07 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Catfish tend to be peaceful on a whole and if you are going for catfish then you would need to go for pygmy variety as they don't get too big and are good for the lower levels of the tank to give interest, you can also get shell dwelling fish which give interest at the base of the tank which are also ideal for a tank of your size. If you are wary of getting a betta have you looked at Gourami's? Like the Betta you can only keep one male but they are stunning fish

Kirsty

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Oh yes Gourami's are pretty! That might be nice. What about those Red Tailed Sharks? My parents had a couple of those before I came along. Are they any good in a community tank or together?

Sorry I know I am asking a lot of questions but I want to be informed before I buy the little fish. It would be terrible to have die because I bought fish that cannot co-exist together.

Are catfish like bottom cleaners then like plecostomus?

I looked around a bit at pictures on the internet. The Cichlidae's like the Blue Zebra and Socolofi Pseudothropheus look cute. Also the Swordtail.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Oh yes Gourami's are pretty! That might be nice. What about those Red Tailed Sharks? My parents had a couple of those before I came along. Are they any good in a community tank or together?

Sorry I know I am asking a lot of questions but I want to be informed before I buy the little fish. It would be terrible to have die because I bought fish that cannot co-exist together.

Are catfish like bottom cleaners then like plecostomus?

I looked around a bit at pictures on the internet. The Cichlidae's like the Blue Zebra and Socolofi Pseudothropheus look cute. Also the Swordtail.
Anything that is called a shark normally gets pretty big in the long term and might need a bigger tank later on which is something to bare in mind and also some species of the sharks can be aggressive with smaller fish it just depends what you want to keep them with, the same as some smaller fish tend to be fin nippers hence not being able to keep them with Betta's etc..... Catfish tend to be bottom feeders so they would keep the floor of the tank clean they need to be kept in small groups though so you would need between 4 and 6 for your tank but they would live peacefully with either a Betta or a Gourami and you could add some tetras (a small group of 6-10 depending on adult size) as plenty of variety with tetras to choose from or rasboras which are pretty little fish too. Swordtails are ok to keep with Gouramis but i believe not with Bettas due to them being fin nippers and being bright coloured so if you went for the Gourami it should be fine

I think its wonderful you are asking questions as you want to learn so you can give the fish a great life and thats how we all learn from asking questions

Kirsty

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 07-28-2005 at 10:33 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

For fish the size of the those pygmy catfish, gourami etc how many is a good number to have in a tank that is about 15 gallons (I think it is actually 17 gallons, it's 65 liters)

Do you know much about the pump and filtration systems in tanks?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think you would want one male Gourami as they are the brightest coloured ones and unfortunately like Bettas your best of keeping one male alone or with 3 females, so you could either have 1 male and 3 females (if you don't mind getting rid of any eggs or having baby fishies) or you could just get one male and he'd live happlily alone with the other fish. You could have a group of 6 to 8 pygmy cories (catfish) and a group of around 10 tetras plus a frog quite easily. You could also look at guppies if you wasn't having a betta as they are brightly coloured and add some interest to a tank and could have a small group of those again about 6-8 depending on what other fish you add. I think its all down to personal preference as to what you like and what works and will fit in with your tank, but by doing research you are cutting out a lot of heartache and problems and will have a fab tank at the end of the day

I know a little about pumps and filtration systems if thats any help

Kirsty

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I'll get some solid ideas on kinds of things I'd like for sure and then find out how many I could have.

As for the pump/filter. We set ours up and people seem to think it is making too much noise. It sits in the tank and blows out a jet of water to air the tank. It does seem more noisy than the one set up in the store but then again a petshop is noisy so maybe we didn't notice it.

It also has a small hose that comes out of the side of the nozzle where the water is jetting out. At the end of it there is a black knob thing and that is to be buried in the gravel (which we did) but the directions were not very good and so we are not sure we have it set up right.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Filters can be pretty noisy one of mine is but i found its from it vibrating on the glass so i suspended it so it can't anymore with a hook. It might be worth checking into whether yours is vibrating on the glass or its something else causing it internally or whether its just plain noisy

Kirsty

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Sorry but another question... I've been looking at different kinds of smaller fish and some give their maximum size but what is the largest fish I would want to put in my tank? In inches would be good since most of these fish are listed in inches.

The dimensions of the tank are 19 1/2 inches wide (50 cm) 12 inches deep (30 cm) and the water level itself in height is 14 inches (36 cm) the overall height of the tank is 19 inches (48 cm).
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 01:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

The most commonly heard rule as to how big or many fish you can have in your tank is one inch of fish per gallon, so in a 15 gallon tank you could have 15 small 1 inch long fish (neon tetras, white clouds, zebra danios..) or you could go with 7 or 8 fish that are about 2 inches in length, rummy nose tetras are an awesome choice or you could go with something like the fruit tetra, rasbora, or you could do a livebearer tank (guppies, platys, mollies & swordtails). The way that i usually encourage people to do it is to find the fish they like the most and find out if it is going to stay small enough for the size of tank they have. Then, assuming that you have found a fish within you size limit, try to pick some more fish that will complement and co-exist nicely with your first choice. I dont think that gouramis would be a good choice as most of the species get pretty large, but dwarf gouramis are derfinitly something you could look into. Also if you are having a lot of trouble with your pump or filter system you could always decide to just keep a betta or maybe a paradise fish and some aqautic frogs or snails, as none of these rely on oxegenated water.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping !!

Lois Isabel

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thank you for your help! I really do appreciate eveything!

We did figure out what was up with the tank. We went over the weekend back to the shop where we bought it and checked out the tank just like ours they had set up and talked with the girl that works solely with the fish. Apperently there is a very dense spoungy thin filter at the bottom under the bigger filter and those roundish stone things and sometimes the water cannot circulate well through it so she recommended we try removing it and see if that corrected the problem. Sure enough it did and now the aquarium filter and pump are sounding and working completely normal!

We also checked out all the fish they had and I was asking about the different fish there and which ones I'd be able to keep together. We have gotten a pretty good idea of what fish we want to keep in the tank. I'll post what they are this afternoon after I am back from training at work.

We will have the water tested in the tank next week after we get back from our little extended weekend getaway to Luxembourg and if all is good in the water we will pick up the fish! I'm so excited!

Thanks again for all your help!

Tags
bigger tank, female betta, female bettas, male betta, neon tetras