fishy fishies! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

how often do you test your tank water? and what tests do you do?
today i tested ammonia, nitrates and nitrites and they are all still at zero.. theres some brown algea stuff on some of the fake plants, the guppies seem to love it tho, so im not sure if i should bother cleaning it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

How do you feed veggies to them? i put a little piece of carrot in there tonight and they didnt seem to interested.. altho it sank to the bottem.. so i fished it out and held it for them, then they nibbled at it a little, but seemed more interested in my fingers.. heh silly fishies.. was i supposed to cook it a little or something?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff
how often do you test your tank water? and what tests do you do?
today i tested ammonia, nitrates and nitrites and they are all still at zero.. theres some brown algea stuff on some of the fake plants, the guppies seem to love it tho, so im not sure if i should bother cleaning it.
Since you only recently added fish I would test at least every other day for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. In a few days I would say you are probably pretty safe and only need to test the water weekly. In a weekly test it's a good idea to test the pH, too. Once your tank has been set up for a while and is fully stocked you don't have to test as often.

Definately test the water daily for a few days when you add new fish since sometimes the tank can go through another (but much shorter) cycle. This shouldn't happen unless you go out and buy like ten fish, though, haha.

Well, the brown stuff isn't hurting your fish or anything. So that's up to you. I don't remember what kind of lighting you have but sometimes it's caused by low lighting.

Quote:
How do you feed veggies to them? i put a little piece of carrot in there tonight and they didnt seem to interested.. altho it sank to the bottem.. so i fished it out and held it for them, then they nibbled at it a little, but seemed more interested in my fingers.. heh silly fishies.. was i supposed to cook it a little or something?
If it sank to the bottom pretty fast then it was probably too big. The pieces should be really, really tiny...so tiny you can barely see them . Thinner slices are better because they are easier to chew and also resemble flakes. Some fish aren't interested in carrots but for the fish who do like them they are really beneficial. You could try mixing in a couple carrot pieces with their regular dinner...they might eat them by accident and then realize they taste good, hehe.

Some other veggies to try are romaine lettuce and cucumbers. There are tons more fish like...those just tend to be favorites. My fish also enjoy broccoli sometimes.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

its normal for them to kinda lay on the bottem to sleep right? well the first night the one with the big orange tail was sleeping on the ledge of one of the containers i have the old tank gravel in.. and this morning, when i turned the light on, the female was sleeping laying on the bottem, and the one with the stripe tail was laying in one of the bowls like a bed so they all do it, they didnt come to the top right away today when i turned the light on so i was a bit worried, but when i came back from getting my camera they were all up and swiming.. so im assuming there just lazy

also have you ever seen a guppy change colors? i swear the one with the big orange tail changes colors! well not really colors, but he gets black marks on his tail sometimes, and sometimes its completely orange.. david said he thinks its just the lighting, but i dont.. cuz sometimes when i walk over to the tank it looks like the back half of his body is really dark black, and he had like black stripes in his tail.. then as i watch him it seems to fade away.. and this morning his tail was all orange, but it had black just on the very tips..

My Furry Family
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 07:38 PM

Bettas are not recommended for community aquariums. But some people do keep them with other fish. Here is some advice for community tanks:

1. Keep the temperature 78-82 degrees.
2. Bettas are slow moving and like to hover at the top. Provide some floating plants for hiding.
3. Avoid aggressive tankmates that may nip the Bettas fins. These include tiger barbs, large gouramis, , black tetras .
4. Avoid slow moving tankmates that the betta may nip. These include guppies, neons, small tetras, angelfish, goldfish.
5. Possible tank mates include Dwarf Gouramis, Head&Tail Lite Tetras, Moons, Mollies, Catfish, Small Red Tail Shark.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

um, thanks?

My Furry Family
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:16 PM

LOL sorry i posted that without reading your whole thread,LOL sorry, lesson learned LOL.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
its normal for them to kinda lay on the bottem to sleep right? well the first night the one with the big orange tail was sleeping on the ledge of one of the containers i have the old tank gravel in.. and this morning, when i turned the light on, the female was sleeping laying on the bottem, and the one with the stripe tail was laying in one of the bowls like a bed so they all do it, they didnt come to the top right away today when i turned the light on so i was a bit worried, but when i came back from getting my camera they were all up and swiming.. so im assuming there just lazy

also have you ever seen a guppy change colors? i swear the one with the big orange tail changes colors! well not really colors, but he gets black marks on his tail sometimes, and sometimes its completely orange.. david said he thinks its just the lighting, but i dont.. cuz sometimes when i walk over to the tank it looks like the back half of his body is really dark black, and he had like black stripes in his tail.. then as i watch him it seems to fade away.. and this morning his tail was all orange, but it had black just on the very tips..
Yeah, that sounds normal. Most fish sleep on the bottom .

Well, many fish lose their color at night when they go to sleep so that might cause him to appear lighter or lose markings. But no, I've never seen a guppy changes colors in the middle of the day. I'm sure it's possible, though . Maybe it depends on how he's feeling? Hehe.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

heh i love seeing where there sleeping in the morning its cute...

i think he gets darker when him and the other male are chasing eachother around, so maybe its an aggression thing? heh either way hes cool

My Furry Family
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

We got two corys went to the pet shop in weatherford today, they have all there tanks kinda set up like community tanks.. 2 were labled that they had corys they had green ones, that were bigger, prolly full grown, and they has albinos that were tiny, maybe an inch? so i got an albino, and i know i saw more than one in the tank but when the lady came to fish them out she could only find one, and didnt seem to willing to look for another one.. so we just got him, there lose right? then while looking in the other tanks on the way to the register i spotted a little striped cory in the tank with a bunch of chinese algea eaters, poor thing kept getting picked on so we got him too, hes smaller than the albino, and went to work cleaning the bottem of the tank as soon as we let him out of his bag, i would assume he didnt get much to eat while in with the chinese algae eaters

Quick question about the guppies.. if a female is pregnant, do you know how long before she would start to show? i think its been about 2 weeks since we got our guppies, if the smaller one is female, shouldnt she be quite large by now? i still dont see an obvious gravid spot as i have on other females, nor do i see a gonopodium, could it be possible that shes too young? or perhaps shes just somehow managed not to get pregnant even tho she was in a tank with many males at the store? or david suggested today.. maybe it is a male.. but his um, bits got nipped off? i would think this would kill a guppy? i dunno..

My Furry Family
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
We got two corys went to the pet shop in weatherford today, they have all there tanks kinda set up like community tanks.. 2 were labled that they had corys they had green ones, that were bigger, prolly full grown, and they has albinos that were tiny, maybe an inch? so i got an albino, and i know i saw more than one in the tank but when the lady came to fish them out she could only find one, and didnt seem to willing to look for another one.. so we just got him, there lose right? then while looking in the other tanks on the way to the register i spotted a little striped cory in the tank with a bunch of chinese algea eaters, poor thing kept getting picked on so we got him too, hes smaller than the albino, and went to work cleaning the bottem of the tank as soon as we let him out of his bag, i would assume he didnt get much to eat while in with the chinese algae eaters

Quick question about the guppies.. if a female is pregnant, do you know how long before she would start to show? i think its been about 2 weeks since we got our guppies, if the smaller one is female, shouldnt she be quite large by now? i still dont see an obvious gravid spot as i have on other females, nor do i see a gonopodium, could it be possible that shes too young? or perhaps shes just somehow managed not to get pregnant even tho she was in a tank with many males at the store? or david suggested today.. maybe it is a male.. but his um, bits got nipped off? i would think this would kill a guppy? i dunno..
Cories are cute . I love those guys. Make sure to pick up some sinking wafers for them. Also, they tend to like being in groups. So in the future it would be great if you got one or two more (especially if you got one each of the same kinds...an albino and a "striped"). Do you know what species the striped one is? I'm guessing maybe it's one of those "panda" cories. Those stay pretty small but the albinos get to be a decent size . Those two species are actually not very closely related which is why you should get two more of the same kind...so they have a friend of the same species.

If it's only been two weeks she still might be pregnant because they tend to give birth after three or four weeks. Also, remember that females can store sperm for a while so she could suddenly give birth in a couple months .

~Stephanie

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

i wanted to get more, like 2 of each type.. but they could only find one.. they said they get new fish on tuesdays, so the next time david gets a wed or thursday off we we'll try to go get some more.. might be a little bit tho, they'll be ok until then right?
i dont think its a panda cory, there orangish arent they? hes grey with w black stripe, i'll try and get a pic of him, or find one online that looks like him..

My Furry Family
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

i think he is a Elegans Cory Cat http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=930

the girl in the pet shop just said he was a stripped cory.. but the elegans seeems to be the only one (atleast on the f&S site) that only has the one stripe

btw.. they had some tadpoles at the petshop too, they were in with some small gold fish.. and werent labeled or anything, do you know what i would look up to find information on them? i mean like would it be a certain kind of tadpole, or could it be anything?

My Furry Family

Last edited by Angelnstuff; 04-05-2007 at 03:48 PM.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
i think he is a Elegans Cory Cat http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=930

the girl in the pet shop just said he was a stripped cory.. but the elegans seeems to be the only one (atleast on the f&S site) that only has the one stripe

btw.. they had some tadpoles at the petshop too, they were in with some small gold fish.. and werent labeled or anything, do you know what i would look up to find information on them? i mean like would it be a certain kind of tadpole, or could it be anything?
Ah, ok . I have one of those.

They are probably American Bullfrog or maybe even Leopard Frog tadpoles. I would google pictures of different tadpoles to see if any look the same as the ones in the store. And any good petstore should know what kind they are, anyways. If they don't I'd be a little concerned .

~Stephanie

Tags
algae eater, betta fish, brine shrimp, cory cats, dog food, ghost shrimp, gold fish, guinea pig, pet shop, pet store, romaine lettuce, tiger barbs, tropical fish