Fraying and snapping tail fins = ^ ~ ^ = - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

Fraying and snapping tail fins = ^ ~ ^ =

I have been having a reoccuring problem for quite some time during the last two months.

for some strange reason my fish in the coldwater tank keep getting bouts of their tail fins either turning into thin strips , and also one of my small shububkins has lost the ends of both parts of his tail fin , it looks terrible and uneven.

There is no sign of soreness in any of the fish except maybe for Fancy my comet goldfish , he is the only one that suffers from sore fins.

And no matter what I do I cant seem to shake it off , it's not Ammonium or Nitrite and I have taken precautions after Chlorine was mentioned.

My Tank water came up 95% recently after being tested at a local aquarists shop , is it possible that this could be a result of living in a hard water area with alkaline PH.

My tank water is always crystal clear and I realy am dumbfounded as to why my fishes fins keep falling to pieces.

= ^ ~ ^ =

?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hmmm what kind of decorations do u have in your tank? Do you have any plastic plants? Sometimes they can cause havoc to fish tails...
Do they seem healthy otherwise?

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Could there be a fish in there causing the problem? If it is PH i know you can buy stuff to higher it and lower it so might be worth looking for

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What kind of filter are you using and what decorations do you have? Did you test for nitrates too, out of curiousity?

Is there black edging on the damaged fins?

Maybe use some Melafix and Aquarium Salt to help the fins heal while you try to figure out the problem.

Good luck .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

= ^ _ ^ =

Thanks for your help ladies but I dont think any of the things you mentioned realy have a chance of being the cause.

I dont have any plastic plants in my tank and in fact I dont have any plants at all in my tank , because they are not cheap and the last time I got living plants they all dissapeared overnight.

I have done various tests and they have all come up negative so I am at a loss.

I use an Eheim Aquaball internal filter in that tank and it comes with a bubbler , I also have a small Rena pump with a long airstone and an undergravel filter system.

I do have dark algal traces here and there so maybe I have some Phosphate in there somewhere.

= ^ _ ^ =

But personaly I think I will just have to wait it out again.

All the blousy shububkins and the Comet goldfish are affected , there is no black marks on their fins so they are not being burned by Chlorine or Ammonium , however the native Roach and Mirror carp are totaly clean.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Do you think the mirror carp or the roach could be fin nipping just a thought as they are bigger fish then the goldfish, maybe at feeding time?

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 04:57 PM

That sure is strange. Do you know if your fish are males or females, its breeding season now, and you could have some eggs soon!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

= ^ ~ ^ =

Well I havenever seen any fin nipping , and in all hounesty I think the damage to a fin nipped fish would be less clean , with these it's like they are just splitting into strips or even falling away.

I would'nt know how to sex fish ? , and The Mirror carp is a shy individual , the roach has a little nipper type mouth but like I said it is highly unlikely I have a nipping problem here.

* sings *

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Fancy does'nt look quite as sore as he was a couple of days ago and part of his tail fin has healed up but Skinns still looks a bit tatty, I have added some treatments and spend some time waiting it out.

Seems to be a regular thing in my tank , just hope my fishes fins grow back well enough not look to ugly.

* sings *

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

awwww even if they remain ugly im sure you will love them just the same
I do hope they heal nicely though. Every fish wants a beautiful tail to swish and show off..hehe

Lve Never Fails

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 02:31 PM

You can go to kokos goldfish forum and than go to the breeding section and in the stick there will be a topic with pictures that show you how to sex your fish. I would also join there to because they can give you more help with this subject, they are very knowledgable.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

= ^ _ ^ = Hmm ?

My largest Shububkin Mosscops's torn tail fin seems tobe healing up nicely now.

Skinns till looks a bit stumpy though , and Fancy still has a bit of redness to his tail fin , but even he seems to have healed up the tattyness.

Again it was just a case of waiting it out again.

* sings *

Tags
aquarium salt, breeding season