Freshwater Clams - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Freshwater Clams

I am wondering if anyone has any info on these? My pet store has some for sale and being different,I like to have things that are different.

I tried doing a search about them online,but am not finding anything! So if anyone has info or has good links,please share! I am interested in them,but wanna read more about them first.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't know of any links, but I had one for a while. I wouldn't actually recommend them for most tanks for a number of reasons:

-They're filter feeders. This means that they filter out small particles of food from the water. Contrary to popular belief, they can't just live on fish waste and algae. You'd need to actually feed the clam (foods designed for filter feeders, baby brine shrimp, and small mysis shrimp work well) and this can be tricky. If it's in a tank with other fish, the fish might just snatch up the food. And you never really know exactly how much to feed, meaning you might end up starving the clam or over-feeding the tank (thus polluting your aquarium water).

-There are a few different species offered for sale. It's important that you find out exactly which species you have, as they require different temperatures and pH. Most in the pet trade seem to do better in cooler water, which means that many of them won't do well in a tropical set-up.

-They burrow. Sometimes they completely bury themselves--in other words, you might not even see your clam much.

-If one dies you might not notice at first, especially if the clam is buried. By the time you realize that the clam has passed on, it might have already caused severe ammonia spikes in your fish tank.

-They're normally wild-caught and don't always adapt to aquarium life.

-There's not a lot of information out there on keeping them in captivity and most don't make it long-term.

If you really want to try keeping one or two, first find out exactly what species they are. Then set up an aquarium specifically for the clams (since they really shouldn't be in most community set-ups IMO).

In case you're interested, mine was kept in a 3-gallon aquarium with a sand area and a gravel area, plus some larger rocks. I fed the foods I mentioned earlier and didn't have an actual filter in the tank--I just did water changes on a regular basis. The water was kept at room temperature. However, if you have a different species than mine was, care might vary. I had my clam for a year and I'm not really sure if that's "successful" or not since I'm unsure of the natural lifespan as well as the age of my clam when purchased.

I actually like them quite a bit, I just feel like we don't know enough about them to keep them successfully in the long run. But if you want to take a shot at it, definitely try keeping the clam(s) alone in their own tank.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Ah...hmmm...maybe I will skip on them then.At least for now! Thanks Stephanie!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
clams