Frilled Shark-Deep Sea - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Frilled Shark-Deep Sea

I saw this shark on the news last night. -On Jan 24th 2007, staff at Awashima Marine Park in Shizuoka, south of Tokyo, were alerted by fishermen to a 'strange eel like fish with razor sharp teeth'. The fish was identified as a female frilled shark and was captured by park staff who were concerned that the shark appeared to be unhealthy. The shark died a few hours after capture. This rare surface appearance of a frilled shark has been attributed to the animal being unwell and possibly disoriented.

I thought it was so interesting so i looked it up. Heres a tidbit of info....(below link)

Heres the links for some very strange photos-
http://www.kaphoto.com.au/aaKaphoto/...01%2035888.jpg entire body

http://www.seapics.com/picture_galle...s/014444_d.jpg strange head

Frilled Shark (Chlamydoselachus anguineus) Rare deep water shark with international distribution.Superficially the frilled shark resembles a dark brown or gray eel, but the six gill slits identify it as a shark. The tissue of the gill slits protudes somewhat, thus inspiring the common name. Its dorsal fin is small, anal fin large, and the caudal fin (tail fin) is highly asymmetric, the ventral part almost unnoticeable. Its teeth are small, tricuspid, and very sharp. It has been recorded at up to 2 m in length.
Distribution is worldwide, but they seem to be uncommon across this range. The sharks are usually found at depths of 120 m to 1,400 m. They typically eat other sharks, squid, and bony fish.

Has rows of three-pointed holding teeth. The uncommon frilled shark lives in the deep waters of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The earliest fossils found of this shark date back 500 million years. These earliest fossils record the frilled shark as a sucking fish. It was later to develop into a true fish and enter the shark family.The frilled shark reaches an average length of 6 ft. and has a brown, elongated body. This shark is very similar in appearance to members of the eel family. The frilled shark is characterized by the 5 to 6 frilled gills located on each side of its head.

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

cool
ugly though
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

hehe...it is very strange isnt it?!!

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Mud
Part of the Pack

thats cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Leo
Driving Diva

Here is a link to another good picture of the Frill Shark...Rare primitive shark captured on film | the Daily Mail
They are pretty cool looking, I had never heard of it before ... Thanks for sharing the information... I love learning about different/rare species.

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

yeah thats the story they were talking about..on the newscast they showed the film/video of the frilled shark swimming..it was really really weird!!

Thanks Ally for that other picture. Its great! I also love learning about new things.
You should have seen me last night! My hubby and i were watching the late night news and that story came on and when it was over i ran over to the PC to look up info on that shark. He thinks i am nuts..but i told him i am just curious and love to learn about EVERYTHING!! lol!

I think that it is strangly beautiful! Too bad that it died afterward. Nature is truly amazing! Just reminds you that there is still so much more to learn!

Lve Never Fails

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Leo
Driving Diva

Hey I found the Video on YouTube ! YouTube - Frilled shark

I do the same thing and my hubby thinks I am crazy as well ... oh well I think it is so much fun learning new things. I love showing my kids different species as well (we sometimes go to the Zoo 2 times in 1 week so I can teach them the importance of conservation and also about the different species of animals).

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007

Last edited by Leo; 01-24-2007 at 11:37 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

cool!! i was thinking of doing the same thing...your fast!! Thanks

(great minds think alike..mhmm...yes they do)

Lve Never Fails

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks for sharing guys!! That was awesome. I also love to learn as much as possible.

Sadie,Jewel,and Zucco
Minnie
Sweetheart

Plus a proud foster momma to Momma and Mable

Proud foster mom to Naomi
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Title Thief Victim

ok..I would die of a heart attack if I saw that thing in person..GAH

Carissasaurus Rex

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Part of the Pack

That is awesome! I loved seeing the video! thanks for posting that. I think its kinda cute. =) but then again.. i think every animal (except most monekys - not a fan) are cute.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa
ok..I would die of a heart attack if I saw that thing in person..GAH

Agreed .
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 03:40 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Thats really neat.

I love ocean life. I have the DVD box set of Blue Planet. I love it! When I was a kid, I wanted to be a marine biologist. Its fairly difficult when you live in Indiana though, lol.

Speaking of sharks. Did you read the the story about the guy who was almost swallowed by a shark and lived!

Diver in Australia survives shark attack - Yahoo! News
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Part of the Pack

now THAT would scare me. being almost eaten.. i could see myself having a heart attack with that one! =S
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
i think every animal (except most monekys - not a fan) are cute.
How funny i am the same exact way...i especially think that orangatangs are just wierd looking and the ones with the big probosus nose (sp)

Amber, I LOVE BLUE PLANET!! I want to get that on DVD box set as well! I do have the entire series box set of TRIAL OF LIFE...it is awesome!! I too wanted to be a marine biologist (or a veterinarian)......wow us peeps here on PT sure have some things in common!! No wonder we all get along so well...(for the most part. hehe)

Lve Never Fails

Tags
dark brown