getting a betta - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

getting a betta

i want a betta.
my hubby was wanting to know what to get me fore valintines day (like its any fun if i tell him) and i think i am going to tell him i want a betta.
i have had bettas before but they would always die. i think i was changing there water wrong.
how do you put them in there new tank when you bring them home? do i need to ask the petstore to bag them so i can float the bag? how long should i set in there, and whats the process of getting him in his tank.
also how often and how do i do his water changes?
oh yeah, i am going to put him in a 5 gal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Bagging him would be a good idea but it's not absolutely nessasary (I can never spell that word!). Remember to use a dechlorinator such as Betta Safe to remove chorline from the water. Also make sure the water is warm enough. Some people don't realize that bettas are tropical fish and need warm temperatures...best temps are between 78 degrees and 80 degrees. Unless your house is kept very warm you might want to get a tank heater.

When you do a water change make sure not to use any cleaners or anything. Just add the dechlorinator to the water, make sure it's the right temperature, and let it sit for a little while.

In a 5-gallon I'd change the water every couple of weeks or so. Or you could cycle it and not have to worry about that as much .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Also with Bettas, when they're first put in a new tank, they'll stay in one corner for a few days. This is because at the pet store when they keep them in those bowls, the water is stagnant. When you put them in a bigger tank, they can't move until they get used to the current (even if you think there isn't any)

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

yes i am wanting to cycle the betta tank.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

yup im gonna have to get a heater. it usually stays 68 degrees in the house.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I saw little tanks that had lights in them and a filter at petco for like $25. They looked like they would be perfect for one or two fish.

*Missy*
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins
yes i am wanting to cycle the betta tank.
Ok, that's great. I'm assuming you already know how to and everything but if ya need help I can give you some good links. I can't help much myself since I'm just starting to cycle my first tank . All my other tanks were always 2 or 2.5 gallons which is too small to be cycled.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

well, i dont know about cycleing really.
what size tank do you think i should get. i want something nice that i can put a few plants in and have a happy swimming around pretty fishey!
i might end up with a 2 gallon...
i'll just have to see!
well if i do get a small one that is too small to cycle.. how do i get my betta in there without him getting sick, etc.
sorry, i really know nothing. i think i am making this harder than it is. help please!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Like I said, I saw tanks at the pet store that were around 3 gallons that already have everything in them.

*Missy*
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

no matter what pinkie, i would still have to cycle and get a heater
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins
well, i dont know about cycleing really.
what size tank do you think i should get. i want something nice that i can put a few plants in and have a happy swimming around pretty fishey!
i might end up with a 2 gallon...
i'll just have to see!
well if i do get a small one that is too small to cycle.. how do i get my betta in there without him getting sick, etc.
sorry, i really know nothing. i think i am making this harder than it is. help please!!!
2 gallons is fine . Just don't go any smaller then that. I like the 2.5 and 3 gallon tanks best. Not too small, not too big .

Keep in mind that you can't cycle tanks less then five gallons. Even a five-gallon will be tricky. Personally, I wouldn't bother cycling a small tank if it only has a betta. Just be sure to do water changes and if possible test the water for high levels of ammonia, etc.

General rule of thumb for water changes in small tanks (like 3 gallons and less) is doing a water change every week for a 1 gallon, every other week for a 2 gallon, every three weeks for a 3 gallon, etc. Of course, you need to test water to make sure ammonia levels don't get too high.

If you still want to cycle I'd do a search on Google for 'fishless cycling'. In other words, cycling without using fish as sacrifices.

But like I said, I wouldn't cycle as long as you can do water changes.

By the way, a filter serves no real purpose in an un-cycled tank less then five gallons. And since it creates a current it might stress out your betta because they like still water. It also prevents them from building bubblenests which frusterates them, hehe. Whisper Filters are especially bad since they can rip apart a betta's long fins.

Here's a list of what I'd get:

+Aquarium holding between 2 and 5 gallons of water
+Aquarium hood with lighting (if you want live plants)
+Tank Heater
+2-5 live or fake plants, depending on size of tank (no plastic plants)
+Place to hide, such as a rock with holes in it
+Gravel or stones to line the bottom (you don't need this but you will if you want plants)
+High-quality betta food such as Hikari or HBH Betta Bites
+Frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp (not nessasary, but a good supplement)
+Water decholrinator such as Betta Safe
+Water Testing Kit

I think that's everything . If you want live plants a good, hardy, betta-safe plant is Java Fern. If you decide to use fake plants, get the silk kind---not plastic. Also, I recommend using stones instead of gravel to line the bottom of the tank. A bit more expensive, but sooo much easier to clean .

Sorry for any spelling errors, I'm really tired .

~Stephanie

Tags
bigger tank, brine shrimp, hbh betta bites, pet store, tropical fish