Getting rid of algae - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Getting rid of algae

Anyone have a good method for getting rid of algae? I don't have or want an algae eater and I don't like using chemicals but I have a bad algae problem. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 07:28 PM

Is it freshwater or salt water tank? If its freshwater and you don't want a pleco, maybe try a corydora.

Is it green algae?? Having a tank near direct sunlight promotes growth of algae, as well as continual use of the light. If your tank is in direct sunlight i would suggest moving it if possible.

Another option would be a scrub brush. They make special ones for tanks that you just reach in and wipe the inside. They also have magnetic cleaners. One goes inside, one goes outside and you move the outside one to make the inside one move to clean the glass.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
Is it freshwater or salt water tank? If its freshwater and you don't want a pleco, maybe try a corydora.
Its a freshwater tank. Yeah I have a scrubber and a magnet thing, I was just wondering if there is a better way. Its not in direct sun but the room is pretty bright. I've had corydoras for many years, and they have never eaten algae. Are you maybe thinking of another kind of fish? Thanks for the suggestions .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:16 PM

Corydora's are supposed to eat algae, but I guess they don't all. I'll try to think of more algae eating fish for you. I know there are a few.

Other than the magnet, cleaning brush, or an algae eater the only other option is hand cleaning it or the algae acide, but I don't like to over chemical mine either so I wouldn't recommend it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again. I guess I'll just keep scrubbing with the the pad thing. I hate algae-its like a neverending battle!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 08:16 PM

what about kissing fish they eat on the sides and stuff they might eat some of it, i dont like them tho they are ugly to me
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 03:55 PM

I've never heard of cory cats eating algae. Plecos are probably the best, but Ottos'... http://petfish.net/oto.htm work really well too. They have the advantage of not getting huge like plecos. I think they're rather cute.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't really want to get any other fish though and I have two aggressive bettas that wouldn't do well with roommates. Thanks again though.

Tags
algae eater, cory cats