ghost shrimp? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

ghost shrimp?

hmm....whenever i ask a question, it's always in the less-looked at forums..
anyway, i need to know more about ghost shrimp. first of all, how much space do they need(gallons-wise)? and can they be housed with bettas? if not, then goldfish? will a ghost shrimp thrive in a 2 gallon hexagon tank with my betta? or in a 30 gallon regular tank with 5 goldfish(maybe 4, one of them has dropsy )? all of the goldfish are a few in. big, will they eat a ghost shrimp? and if you can't have them with any of teh above situations, can i put one in a fish bowl? is that too small? how often and how much do you feed them? by the way, if you do not think a ghost shrimp is good for me and all my fish, what other shrimp do you recommend? thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Okay, here's some basics I found. I have some in all my tanks, they have been fine with the Bettas. I do not have any cold water tanks or experience with Gold Fish though. The cool water should be fine, I'm just not sure if the Gold Fish would eat them. Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

Quote:
Origin The range is from Alaska to El Estero de Punta Banda, Baja California
Maximum Size: The male shrimp is 3 inches long and the female is 2 inches long.
Care: They do well in warmer temperatures, though they can survive in waters that are as cold as the upper 50 degree Fahrenheit range. It has been observed that in very warm temperatures, Ghost Shrimp become much more active, and they have been reported to become so aggressive as to attack fish in warm temperatures. In cooler temperatures, they are quite peaceful and it is the Ghost Shrimp who are in danger of fish attacks. Shrimp should have some plants to hide in, particularly if they are kept with fish that might eat them.
Feeding: In an aquarium, Ghost Shrimp will feed on soft algae in tanks and any fish food that falls to the bottoms of their aquarium. They have been known to do well on flake fish food, as well. In the wild on the other hand ghost shrimp will feed on detritus in the mud that collects on the fine hairs on its legs. The hairs of the third maxillipeds scrape the prospective food off the legs and pass it forward to the mouth. It also receives food by digesting microorganisms from the mud that goes through its digestive system.
Breeding: They are easy creatures to breed, the females carry their pink eggs on the underside of their carapace, they should be moved into a seperate tank if you wish the babies to survive, the young are too small to catch and so you must move the female while she is still carrying the baby ghost shrimp. It is essential to provide plenty of plants or other small hiding places in the aquarium for the young Ghost Shrimp. After the babies have hatched, the parent Ghost Shrimp should be removed. In order to successfully raise the young, they should be fed on baby brine shrimp, in addition to liquifeed (fry) food or minute algae.
Sexing: When of adult size the males will be approximately one whole inch bigger than the females, the females may also be carrying pink eggs on their undersides.
Comments: The ghost shrimp is pale pink to orange with the male possessing one claw that is much larger. It burrows to feed and digs its two to three foot deep burrow with the claws of the first and second legs. It uses these legs to draw the sandy mud backward and collecting it in a receptacle formed by another pair of legs. When the receptacle is full, the shrimp crawls backward, reverses itself in a special turn around chamber and then deposits its load outside. The burrows are not permanent. A number of branches and turnaround chambers are found in the burrows and they have at least two openings to the surface. The shrimp use their pleopods to produce some circulation of sea water through the burrows. The pencil-sized openings of the burrows are typically in the middle of little piles of sand or sand with small pebbles.
All the legs are specialized with some being used for walking, some for bracing the animal in its burrow and others are used for personal cleaning. Ghost shrimp are always busy because if they stop digging then they start cleaning themselves or vice versa. Ghost shrimp have few natural predators. Humans dig them with a shrimp gun and use them as fish bait.
The ghost shrimp is also surprising long lived. A 10 cm individual excluding appendages may be 10 years old and many reach an age of 15 or 16 years old.
The ghost shrimp has other organisms that live in its burrow and these include the pea crab Scleroplax granulata, scale worm, Hesperone complanata, a small clam, Csyptonya californica whose siphons open into the burrow and not the surface, and a little goby, Clevelandia ios.
Quote:
Ghost Shrimp are commonly available in most petshops now. They are a fresh water shrimp that feed on algae, dead plants and just about anything else. They make excellent scavengers, and are completly unagressive, even with fry as small as one day old livebearers. Some fish however will try to eat the shrimp, or pick at them. But surprisingly a lot of the smaller types of fish will co-exist with them very well.

The shrimp are quite vunerable during their molting. That's when they cast off their hard shell covering that has become too small and emerge with a shiny new set of armor, and a little bit bigger. The new shell takes a few hours, up to a day, to harden, so you'll need to supply some hiding places for the shrimp to use during this stage. From time to time you might see the old empty shells lying around. Don't be alarmed, now you know it's just an old shell and your shrimp is growing.

Ghost Shrimp will eat any kind of fish food, they especially like left-overs. As long as the water is clean they will just about take care of their selves and if you're lucky they might lay some eggs for you. Shrimp that are carrying eggs are easy to spot, the eggs are green and you can see them thru the transparent body. The babies are very tiny and extremely hard to raise artificially. You'll have better luck raising them outside during the Summer in an old barrel or kiddie pool.

Ghosts will need a tank cover because they will jump out if they get a chance, as will many fish, so it's always a good idea to use a cover.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 09:14 PM

My betta ate the ghost shrimp I put in with him. Well, he killed it anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 09:19 PM

I woulda thought so. Betta arent good conpanions for basicly anything.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

ok, thanks a lot. so, by itself, then? and would it be happy with more than one of them? how many can you put in a large fish bowl? also, how many gallons size should the bowl be?

Last edited by HamterDudette; 01-07-2005 at 10:33 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

The ones that are in with my bettas are in 5.5g, that's the smallest I have them in. I would definatly keep more then one, esp. even just for interest. Plus if you get males and females, they breed relatively easily aslong as they are happy. Just make sure you are prepared to care for the young if you do.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 11:36 PM

when we were setting up my friends fish tank. we bought 2 ghost shrimp, they were 6 for a dallor at a near by fish shop. those things out lived all the other fish we bought. we got them as young adults so we didnt know that one was a male and the other was a female. soon we found eggs stuck to the side of the large rock (the large rock is the center piece of the tank, its surround by plants and smaller rocks). i'll have to take a picture of the tank.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

ok, thanks. i was thinking of usuing a fishbowl, will 2 or 3 be ok in one?

Tags
brine shrimp, fish food, fish tank, ghost shrimp, gold fish