Glowlight tetra floating on side.. help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Glowlight tetra floating on side.. help

About a week ago I thought this fish had died. I thought the other fish that were with her had eaten her.. so a few days later I got rid of those fish. So the tank sat empty for awhile, no filter or air stone running, because I THOUGHT no fish were in there. Also wasn't putting food in the tank, because again, thought there were no fish.

So about 2 days ago I looked over at the tank and low and behold, there she is swimming around! She was hiding, GOD ONLY KNOWS WHERE. So she spent like a week without food or air. We took her out of the tank and put her in a small fish bowl with a air stone..

It's been about 2 days now and she is swimming on her side still. She is also not eating much if anything. She has some energy, she had enough to jump out of what she was in.. but doesn't have too much, because she can't even swim against the current of the air stone bubbles.

So what could I do to help her?? I was thinking maybe a salt bath would help.. Any ideas? I don't want her to die.. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Are her fins all ok and intact?

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, from what I can tell everything is fine. I thought at first maybe a fin was gone, and that's why she was swimming like that, but they all look good to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Could it be an internal problem like swim bladder do you think?

Kirsty

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

That's what I am thinking, either that or she's just brain damaged from lack of food and oxygen, heh. I tried giving her some peas.. she didn't really seem interested. Hopefully it'll just clear up on its own. I should go get a bottle of stress coat.. it'd probably help her.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

No i doubt that very much as fish can go without food for quite a long time infact some experts suggest when you go on holiday that they are ok without food as its better for them to go without then to be over fed by friends and family. On the oxygen front as she was on her own i doubt it would have hurt her too much as no other fish fighting her for the oxygen and fish tend to be survivors could be swim bladder brought on by stress maybe. I'd get her some meds and see how she goes on, if it is swim bladder and its caught early enough should clear up

Kirsty

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 07:48 PM

this may be a silly question.. but have you got a heater in the bowl?? and what are your water readings??
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 07:49 PM

Also... why did you get rid of the other fish?? and what were they??