is this a goldfish? - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebri123
Well he is happy and very healthy and love me he gets "excited" when i am around. I clean his bowl every couple of days and when i had more in there they were tiny tiny babies. I figure why change a good thing, if he wasnt happy or healty i would move him. otherwise i am content to let him be happy!
I was just wondering...how exactly can you tell if he's happy?

At least test the water to make sure there isn't ammonia because that will slowly poison him . All you have to do is bring a sample of your water to the petstore...most stores test it for free.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I was just wondering...how exactly can you tell if he's happy?
I was wondering the same thing.

Membri123 - would you like to live in your toilet, with it only being flushed every few days? Probably not, right? Well, that is what you are doing to that poor fish. He needs a tank with at least a filter. 10 gallon tanks are not expensive and like Luvnature said you could probably find one at a yardsale. Goodwill, Salvation Army or other thrift stores are a good place to look too.

I wish you would take people's advice, we only want whats best for your fish.
post #33 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Title Thief Victim

Yea, I agree I would get atleast a 10 gallon tank for him. Those bowls are way to small for anything to live happily! pleasedo it for you fishy.

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10

I don't know why it's so hard for her to just buy an aquarium.10 gallons& 20 gallons are cheap,heck I even buy from eBay,& I assure you,if I can scrape up enough money,most people can.

I mean,it's not completely her fault,she now knows fish bowls aren't fit to house the fish in.I thought she would be more like ...grateful people informed her.

I asked enough questions on here for sure ...lots of others knew the answer to,I more than appreciate people's friendly advice for pointing out my mistakes.
I only want what's BEST for my pets.

P.S. Membri, I hope your not considering that living creature decor!
People who think of fish as "decorations" make my blood boil!!
Same like people who buy birds & keep them in teeny tiny cages.

Ok,I'm done
post #35 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10

I don't know why it's so hard for her to just buy an aquarium.10 gallons& 20 gallons are cheap,heck I even buy from eBay,& I assure you,if I can scrape up enough money,most people can.

I mean,it's now completely her fault,she now knows fish bowls aren't fit to house the fish in.I thought she would be more like ...grateful people informed her.

I asked enough questions on here for sure ...lots of others knew the answer to,I more than appreciate people's friendly advice for pointing out my mistakes.
I only want what's BEST for my pets.

P.S. Membri, I hope your not considering that living creature decor!
People who think of fish as "decorations" make my blood boil!!
Same like people who buy birds & keep them in teeny tiny cages.

Ok,I'm done
post #36 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 05:36 AM

Double post I'm sorry I'm having a BUNCH of trouble with this forum lately When I go to edit,it won't edit.& I try to fix my typoes (first post had a typo),I can't delete,took forever to edit my signature etc etc...

I apologize!!
post #37 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 06:38 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Quote:
Well he is happy and very healthy and love me he gets "excited" when i am around. I clean his bowl every couple of days and when i had more in there they were tiny tiny babies. I figure why change a good thing, if he wasnt happy or healty i would move him. otherwise i am content to let him be happy!
It is not a big change, and in the long run he will be happier, I know b/c I had my goldies in small tanks for a while when the we small but once the got into my bigger 33galon they LOVED it, trust me you WILL see the difference. They become more active and happier. PLEASE it is better for your fish to get a bigger tank and filter. Pretty soon he will get sick b/c of ammonia and not proper filtration. PLUS you can also get worms, a parasite that is hard to see and kills fish quickly, because of extra food at the bottom and different materials found in water. We really are just trying to help and I am sure everyone wants what is best for the fish from our personal experience.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #38 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes we are all just trying to be helpful. I know some people dont appreciate advice especially if they didnt ask for it, they get upset when it is given. I hope she understands we are only being concerned for the fishies well being and were trying to help out. Nothing against her personally.
Now its up to her to do what she feels best for her circumstances. We cant force anyone to do what they dont want to do or what they cant see as what would really be better for their pet. But hopefully she will consider the good advice given here from people who only have good intentions and are not just trying to be right.
I find that the members here truly care about animals. Thats one big reason why i stay on this forum. I hope she sees it the same way and is ok with members advice here and doesnt view it as an attack on her because that surely is not what it is.

Lve Never Fails

post #39 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Guarded by Waffles

i thought it was kind of cute! I learned something today, I didn't think it was a goldfish but now I know

Edit: I would move him to a ten gallon. I know that those bowls can't house anything besides sea monkeys (and I would even put them in a ten gallon). If you want to get him a friend I would buy a twenty gallon so that he has plenty of room. Just trying to help. How exactly can you tell a fish is happy anyway?

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out

Last edited by christine; 01-22-2007 at 12:50 PM.
post #40 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
He's handsom . Nice pics .
post #41 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
I clean his bowl every couple of days
Just looked closer at the fishie..he is cute and looks happy but you said you clean the bowl every couple of days. Near the top of the bowl you can see where the water has evaporated. It looks like sometimes he goes longer than a couple of days without a water change. Granted a water change every couple of days can stress out any fish but it would be necessary in a bowl that small. Goldfish are big poopers! The water can become very toxic to them quite rapidly in a small home.
I bet he would be beautiful in a 10 gallon tank. Just think how active he would be then, not to mention happier!

Lve Never Fails

post #42 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:20 PM

I live in arizona water evaperates fast here and I dont always fill it at the same spot so are lots of hard water stain lines I can't get them off and I cant use chemicals to clean it it would kill him.
post #43 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:23 PM

*sigh* So are you just going to ignore all the helpful suggestions we have given?

BTW-You can use vinegar to clean tanks, just rinse it well. There are also scrub pads that are made for aquariums.
post #44 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:26 PM

well I never thought of that
post #45 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
I live in arizona water evaperates fast here and I dont always fill it at the same spot so are lots of hard water stain lines I can't get them off and I cant use chemicals to clean it it would kill him.

Your right, thanks for posting that tidbit of info.
Take Ambers advice on the vinegar..but we do hope you will eventually get a bigger tank. They are very inexpensive..check yard sales..walmart has it cheap like mentioned earlier. With a little bowl i would be afraid he would jump out eventually. You wouldnt want to come home to a little dried up fishie on the kitchen table or floor! I wish i could go give u one of my 10 gallons that is just sitting around. If you were near i would go right now if you said it was ok...but alas, your too far away.

He is a beautiful fish Teresa and just think how much more beautiful he would look in a bigger home. He would just love it! You could really decorate it nicely like you have done with the bowl. He would look absolutely gorgeous!!

Lve Never Fails

Tags
aquarium salt, bigger tank, doing fine, fish tank, gold fish, male betta, pet store, pet stores