Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
12K views 83 replies 23 participants last post by  VanillaRat 
#1 ·
i took some pics of this fish at walmart a few days ago.. i thought maybe he was a goldfish, cuz i think hes in with other goldfish but i dont think they really care to much who goes in what tank.. so im not sure.. i think he looks kinda cool, his fins look like there way too small for his body

See less See more
#2 ·
yes it is a goldfish...I cant tell from the pics too well what kind....did he have bumpy things on his head? If so he may be a whats called a lionhead. Its body looks a little bit long to be a lionhead...maybe its mixed or....

(or just deformed?)

#4 ·
that is one ugly gold fish
i bought 12 at walmart and the ugliest one was the only one who survived. go figure
he was grey yuck not gold
now he is light gold with a very long beautiful tail
shock
i keep him in a goldfish bowl in my kitchen and i have had him for over a year.

#6 ·
oh and i talk to him every day and he goes nut when he sees me
he used to hide under the bush when he was new
he lets me pick him up out of the water with my hand before i change his water
so sometimes ugly is awsome

#11 ·
candyraver said:
I love goldfish.But I need a big aquarium before I even consider getting any.They need a fair bit of room & good filtration,since theyre dirrty :lol:
my fish is very happy in his bowl and he has been in it for over a year. He used to be 1/3 that size
it is possible to keep them in bowl but they need tlc and changed minimum once a week

#12 ·
mebri123 said:
my fish is very happy in his bowl and he has been in it for over a year. He used to be 1/3 that size
it is possible to keep them in bowl but they need tlc and changed minimum once a week
I really don't want to start an arguement but living over a year doesn't mean he's healthy. Goldfish often live to be over ten.

Also, have you ever tested the ammonia in his bowl? I guarantee it will be high after a few days...and even the smallest amount is very bad for fish :(. In that size bowl you would literally have to change the water five or six times a day to keep ammonia down.

Both you and the fish would be much happier if you got a bigger aquarium. Even a 10-gallon would be so much better. The fish would have more room and you wouldn't have to do so many water changes :).

I really hope I'm not sounding mean :(. It's not your fault at all...petstores tend to give false advice. But goldfish really need more room and good filteration.

#13 ·
in response to my fish
I worked at a nursing home for three years and an alzheimer patient was given a gold fish in a bowl to keep by his bed. Great thereapy for some one with alzheimers. anywhoo I kept that fish alive till I moved to another job. those patients put everything you could possibly imagine in this bowl. glue, paint juice, milk etc. I just figured i would feed it and clean it out when needed and i couldn't beleive how much abuse that fish took. I don't know if it is still alive cause it wasn't my fish and i left it behind. but I would keep it on the dinner tables for the patients when they ate so they could watch it swim. it was really cute the way they sorta bonded with it watching it swim. anyway I just had to tell that story

#14 ·
mebri123 said:
that is one ugly gold fish
i bought 12 at walmart and the ugliest one was the only one who survived. go figure
he was grey yuck not gold
now he is light gold with a very long beautiful tail
shock
i keep him in a goldfish bowl in my kitchen and i have had him for over a year.

i actually think the fish i posted is kinda cute, which is why i wanted to know what he is..
and you said you bought 12, am i to assume you put all 12 in that little dish?

#15 · (Edited)
Angelnstuff said:
i actually think the fish i posted is kinda cute, which is why i wanted to know what he is..
yes but they were no biger then my pinkie nail on my toe and i wear a 6 shoe
this fish grew huge fast

oh the horror and the torture lol

#16 ·
Angelnstuff said:
I think it is cute too! Hence why I want one.I am often in the stores and people are exclaiming how lionheads and orandas and other fish like that are ugly with "their brains coming out of their heads"...they are not brains,but a growth.I love them personally and have a little oranda...unfortunatly he never grew big at all.I got him at Wal-Mart and his growth must of been stunted when I got him,as he never grew bigger at all...he is tiny.Otherwise he is healthy.Oops...there I go rambling.

Oh and goldfish are REALLY dirty fish and I would never keep them in a fish bowl.Thats cruel and plus as mentioned pet stores give bad or wrong advice and sadly many goldfish are kept in bowls.

#17 · (Edited)
mebri123 said:
yes but they were no biger then my pinkie nail on my toe and i wear a 6 shoe
this fish grew huge fast

oh the horror and the torture lol
I know he is living well in there but probably not happy. GF love to swim and yes they grow, he will not stay that size. Mine was over 7" and they were only 5-6years old. Trust me gold fish need a tank of at least 10galon and a filter to keep healthy and ammonia will build up quickly for a gf.

Just look out for a cheap one and get a filter. You will see the difference and maybe get him a friend. Plus a lot less cleaning, only needs a partial 25% clean not 100%, with filtration (from aqua clear or other ones like it) beneficial bacteria build up in the sponge as it stays in and if needs to be cleaned all the sponge needs is a rinse with the water you took out during cleaning which keeps beneficial bacteria alive and active on the sponge (hot water and chlorine kills the good bacteria), plus the carbon and ammonia remover refills stay in for almost a month and need to be change one at a time, which keeps the good bac in filtration. thus keeps fish healthy, it is true, and living in a bowl they get none as it is constantly cleaned.

Pet stores don't know as much as they should as they want to sell their product and often give out false info either because they want the sale or because they themselves are misinformed. Please get a tank, filter and a heater, he will love it and live a long time.

#18 ·
at your local wal mart u can get a 10 gallon tank for about 10 dollars. You could even keep an eye out at yard sales for a tank. People are always getting rid of them it seems. Just make sure to give it a good cleaning and dry it out in the sun for a few days.

Im sure you love your fish and you have taken good care of it. Others here are just trying to be helpful, thinking of the not so little fishie now. :) If you can see if you can get him a 10 gallon. He would love it im sure and like mentioned he could then have some frirends. Yay!! :goldfish:

#20 ·
Vanilla_Rat said:
Dawna,goldfish don't NEED heaters.They are cold water fishies.I used a heater to spawn my goldies,but they don't need it.
:) I know they don't need it, but my goldies always did and they lived for a long time. That is all I am going from was my experience with gf and heaters, that's all.

#21 ·
mebri123 said:
wow, i have to say that that is the PRETTIEST goldfish i have ever seen...im seriously thinking of getting one, especially when i saw yours

#22 ·
you know, a twenty would be even better and would cost 30bucks...if i ever get one i would use at least a 20 with a well working filter, when i fist had goldfish, i had only two years back and i had them in a ten, i changed the tank very often and the fish were fine, till one day they were gulping for air, i did not have a filter at the time, but now i wonder what was the cause of their gulping and eventual death? my theory is that there was not enough oxygen in the tank, perhaps a filter would of been the way to go since it could mix fresh o2 into the tank, however im still not sure what the real cause of death was? ammonia levels were low...any guesses?

#72 ·
Where is it that everyone can get those 20 gallon tanks for thirty bucks? I've been to petcetera and walmart and at the first, a ten gallon cost 60 bucks and at walmart the 10 gallon cost around forty. I didn't even look at the twenties as they would've undoubtedly been much more expensive. I want to get a good tank for my two goldfish but I'm broke and my parents aren't willing to pay for more than the food and the aquarium salt (it's not fair as originally i wasn't even the one who bought the fish...i always end up being the one to take care of the pets :mad2:). I haven't found a decent tank (10 gal) for less than forty dollars anywhere near me (except one second hand one in an ad in the classifieds but it was sold out unfortunately). Maybe its because I live in Canada and you guys are talking about US prices? Any Ontarians who know of a reliable store where someone on a tight budget can get a good tank (filter, pump, etc.)?

#23 ·
i like him in the bowl but ill tell you what ill do i'll invent a water airiater and filter that is waterproof and can be inserted in the bowl wireless. i have been thinking about designing one for a while know
ps he doesn't like friends he is the one that killed all the others
he rammed them and picked at them till they all died

#25 · (Edited)
Skratikans said:
you know, a twenty would be even better and would cost 30bucks...if i ever get one i would use at least a 20 with a well working filter, when i fist had goldfish, i had only two years back and i had them in a ten, i changed the tank very often and the fish were fine, till one day they were gulping for air, i did not have a filter at the time, but now i wonder what was the cause of their gulping and eventual death? my theory is that there was not enough oxygen in the tank, perhaps a filter would of been the way to go since it could mix fresh o2 into the tank, however im still not sure what the real cause of death was? ammonia levels were low...any guesses?
Yes it probably was not enough air and probably high ammonia levels, not low, too much ammonia will kill a goldfish, there are some tropicals that can tolerate mild ammonia like Black skirt tetras as they are very hardy. So it was among many different factors that killed them. Read my post about filtration on the top, you need a good filter and I recommend Aqua clear as it had separate parts, sponge, carbon and optional ammonia remover.

The sponge only needs a cleaning every water change(in the water taken out so it will not kill the good bacteria) and it stays in the tank for months as it just needs rinsing. Which it will aid as a home to beneficial bacteria, and you get a new carbon/ammonia pouch once a month but not the same day, carbon first then the ammonia which will keep the good bacteria alive on one and build up on the new. The other kinds of filters with the slips with carbon built into a sponge are good but are thrown out, thus killing beneficial bacteria that was alive and cultivating on the pad.

It sounds weird but true, there is good bacteria that help the fish and a good filter will give good oxygen through the water, keep beneficial bacteria and keep levels of ammonia and clarity to the tank, thus healthy fish.

#26 · (Edited)
I don't think I ever saw an "ugly" creature :shrug:
Whether it was a fish or otherwise.

About the goldfish in the bowl...yeah,maybe he killed the other fish to make room.I have no idea how 13 fish could fit in something that size.I'm not getting goldfish until I can get a 55gallon aquarium.Then I'm buying smaller goldies until they grow big & by that time I will have enough for a $120 + size.

I [hate to admit this] used to have bettas in those "betta kits" thats sold.They lived a few months in that.And one night I looked at the fish & thought "what poor pitiful little buggers..." It literally broke my heart.After I posted,asking about tank mates.Still have my bettas,never been happier.Finally getting the aquarium keeping down path,researching like crazy.10 gallon is the smallest I'd ever keep anything in.My 5.5gallon is going to be used for a spider.
Trust me,there's a huge difference. If your like me,you'd feel guilt stricken after for ever having fish in a bowl.
:)
Just speaking from experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.