Goldfish Advice, please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Question Goldfish Advice, please

Hi, I was interested in getting 2 feeder goldfish from a petstore and keeping them in a very large glass bowl.

I read about chlorinated water and was wondering if I got a filter for the tap in my sink, would the fish be okay with filtered water? I also wanted to know if fish live long in a bowl when there is not a filter to go along with it?

Any advice would be most appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 07:08 PM

I always used regular water for my fish and bought the drops at the store to treat it. I had a goldfish that lived with me for 7 years, then i went on vaca and dad over fed him.

Mine lived in a bowl with no filter, but again, I only used the treated water. I dunno about just the filtered water though. I would think it would do the same as the treated drops would. Wish I could help ya there.

Last edited by AmandaDi; 01-21-2003 at 07:15 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

My daughter uses the filtered water for hers without the drops and it does fine. They do have fun (and it helps them) if you have the little bubble sticks down there that help circulate the water, giving them more oxygen.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Erin

goldfish get really big(14" for some), it's a rule of thumb with fish to have 1 gallon of water per inch of fish. It's a lot easier to keep them clean with a bigger tank, and allows them proper room to grow.

Here's a good goldfish site with a ton of information:

http://www.petfish.net/gold.htm

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks AmandaDi, Crittercall and Erin8607 for the great advice!

Erin, thanks for the website - very informative!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Lyn

Goldfish require more room than other fish do. It is actually recommended by the goldfish society of america to only house one goldfish per 10-20 gallons of water. I know most people do not follow this guideline. Water quality is extremely important in the care of goldfish. They live a long time if cared for properly. (right now I have a 10 yr old feeder that is actually 1 lb and 13 inches long that is receiving antibiotic injections every 48 hours) It is probably wise to go ahead and spend the 5-6 dollars and get a water conditoner such as NovAqua or AmQuel and treat the water. Better safe than sorry is my way of thinking. I have a site that has indepth info on goldfish. Glimmering Goldfish Facts from A-Z

Tags
bigger tank