Goldfish bowls - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Goldfish bowls

I know nothing about fish thats why I dont have them.

I keep reading about all the things that people have to do with their fish and what big houses they have for them so I guess my question is...

Can little goldfish really live in one of those small round goldfish bowls?

My mate bought this for her daughters birthday last year and they both died the next day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 10:46 AM

No. That's the short, easy answer. Here are some factors as to why:

- Goldfish are just about the dirtiest fish you can keep. They produce more waste than others.
-Goldfish can grow to 6 in. long, at the least. Koko's Goldfish recommends at least 10 gallons per goldfish.
-Goldfish are normally advertised as fish you can keep in small bowls by pet store employees, and the fish sold there are not quite as healthy as other stores, or more aquarium-focused stores.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 11:45 AM

Well, they CAN survive in a bowl but it is never recommended. I do know of one person who successfully kept a goldfish for 10 years in a bowl with frequent water changes but that was many years ago and I would never suggest that people do it. There is no quality of life for the fish at all in that setting.

Also I've read that keeping goldies in a tiny bowl like that will stunt their growth while their inner organs keep growing, which eventually leads to their death. Like Dudette mentioned, they are very messy fish and they require a large tank, at least 15 gallons for the first goldie and 10 gallons for each additional one with lots of filtration.

That is the only way I would ever suggest keeping goldfish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

then how come they sell such things?
i would never buy one as too me it looks bad. Like keeping a hamster in a small box.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:34 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Same reason they sell any crap for any pet. Marketing, money, ignorance...It's up to the consumer to play it smart and research ahead of time. If not you often end up at home with the wrong stuff.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummie
Well, they CAN survive in a bowl but it is never recommended. I do know of one person who successfully kept a goldfish for 10 years in a bowl with frequent water changes but that was many years ago and I would never suggest that people do it. There is no quality of life for the fish at all in that setting.
Exactly. Sure, I guess they CAN survive, but they won't be happy, and they won't be healthy.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:43 AM

Also some people do use the bowls for bettas and that's okay. But they should never be marketed for use with goldfish!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 12:41 AM
RAT ADDICT

This is very bad!

I used to keep goldfish in bowls when I was a kid, but they didn't last long.Then I read that goldfish can live up to 10 and 20 yrs...so I started keeping them in tanks and they lasted alot longer.I currently have 2...a calico shubunkin comet (about 4 yrs) and a sarassa comet (about 3 yrs)...

Goldfish are very messy and need more then a little fish bowl and a pinch of food...they need a large, roomy tank with a proper filtration system and several water changes!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 02:03 AM

If you want a fish that doesn't need a lot of room try a betta! My brother has one in a 10 gallon tank (they can be kept in smaller). They are pretty and his has been alive for almost 2 years now!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 05:26 PM
RAT ADDICT

Bettas are a beautiful fish that do not require too much room and are not too dirty.

However the little cups they are sold in at some pet stores is NOT suitable for a betta!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:58 PM

I know! I always feel so bad when I see them in those little cups. They can't be happy or comfortable in there.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

And also what happens to those fish is they aren't used to any current. So when you bring them home and put them in a filtered 10 gallon tank, that appears to be stagnant, they stay in one corner for days because the current is too strong for them swim around.

*Missy*
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:30 AM

Aww.....that's so sad. Poor fish.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 12:58 PM

my bettas dont mind the current what so ever...
and it can easily be slown down with some diy work
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:28 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

My Betta's, when they were alive, loved the extra space. People say they will live quite fine in a small tank, but I think they become very depressed from what I seen. My Betta's loved the space and would swim about very happy and content. NO fish should live in a bowl, is is dirty, no space and not good for any living creature. I say minimum fo any small goldfish or even Betta, would be a 10 Gal with filter.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Tags
pet store, pet stores