goldfish are frequently sick - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation goldfish are frequently sick

hey everyone. new question. how do you get rid of columnaris (im guessing) in goldfish? our system of comets, various fantails, and koi has it and gets it often. we keep salt in that system and low temperatures. i do frequent water changes and always condition with seachem prime (my favorite conditioner). i find it mostly on the comets where the get white patches (first symptom and originally thought to be protozoan parasites) clamped fins, weight loss, lethargy, and a few of our large comets developed ulcers behind the head. whats weird about it is it never seems to touch the koi. all of the other fish can be on the verge of death and the koi are all happy and healthy. please tell me if i'm miss diagnosing the problem or if there is anything else i can do to prevent/cure it. i cant use copper sulfate because we sometimes have aquatic plants in that system for sale. usually in the spring and summer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Test your water to make sure nothing's amiss, first. If it was me, I'd move the infected fish into an aquarium or tub for treatment--that way you can use copper sulfate without affecting plants.

How large is your pond? Is it possible that it's getting overcrowded? Columnaris usually attacks stressed fish. Is this a pond in your store?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

its a system of tanks actually. im not sure how many gallons each tank is but in all its about 150 gallons. in the bottom tank (the largest) we usually keep three comets (5-6 inch), three fantails (5-6 inch) and three koi (3-5 inch) in the other tanks (look like 5 gallons.) we keep small 1-2 inch fantails. we use a sump filter so aeration isn't really a problem, and i check ammonia and nitrite levels frequently and they are always at perfect levels. i forgot to mention that i also use a bacterial supplement called nite out. made by microbe lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Since all the tanks are connected, I don't think you really have a choice but to set them up in a separate, hospital aquarium for treatment. Use copper sulfate and perform daily water changes.

By the way, I think you may be mis-using the salt. Freshwater salt works because a lot of bacteria and parasites can't handle the sudden salinity change. If you keep it in a system 24-7, everyone gets used to it and the point is lost. It's best used infrequently.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
cure, diseases, fish, goldfish