goldfish problems - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

goldfish problems

hi , can anyone help us we have got 2 fantailed goldfish that have had their tails nipped by rosy barbs, we have taken the rosy barbs out but the goldfish just lie on the bottom of the tank and ony move when its feed time..

ty paul and linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Betta Bomb

How big is the tank for goldfish? Goldfish require a ridiculous amount of tank space, COLD water (rosy barbs need HEATED water).. They should not be housed together again.
I'm not sure for goldfish (SASAMI may be able to clarify this) but you maybe able to use a bit of aquarium salt (NOT TABLE SALT bc it contains ingredients which prevent caking). And just keep the goldfish in super clean water.
It's been a thousand years since I've owned goldfish but for my betta who nipped his tail I used salt for 10 days and then kept his water clean and it grew back. Do goldfish eat foods other than flakes/pellets? If they are omnivorous-carnivorous try frozen bloodworms because they are high in protein.

***Disregard my response if Sasami comes with a different idea. SHE is the fish expert!!

http://www.goldfish-emergency.com/vi...php?page_id=17
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Zoo Keeper

generally aquarium salt is recommended for helping healing. Melafix was also recommended to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandlinda View Post
hi , can anyone help us we have got 2 fantailed goldfish that have had their tails nipped by rosy barbs, we have taken the rosy barbs out but the goldfish just lie on the bottom of the tank and ony move when its feed time..

ty paul and linda
What size is the tank? What are your water parameters (specifically ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)? What do you have for filtration? We'll definitely need some more info to help but it might be an easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
How big is the tank for goldfish? Goldfish require a ridiculous amount of tank space, COLD water (rosy barbs need HEATED water).. They should not be housed together again.
I'm not sure for goldfish (SASAMI may be able to clarify this) but you maybe able to use a bit of aquarium salt (NOT TABLE SALT bc it contains ingredients which prevent caking). And just keep the goldfish in super clean water.
It's been a thousand years since I've owned goldfish but for my betta who nipped his tail I used salt for 10 days and then kept his water clean and it grew back. Do goldfish eat foods other than flakes/pellets? If they are omnivorous-carnivorous try frozen bloodworms because they are high in protein.

***Disregard my response if Sasami comes with a different idea. SHE is the fish expert!!

http://www.goldfish-emergency.com/vi...php?page_id=17
Rosy barbs are actually subtropical and so don't require heated water .

Aquarium salt can help prevent infections but I wouldn't advise it in this case to the OP since we don't know exactly what's wrong yet. Lying around on the bottom sounds like a water quality issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
generally aquarium salt is recommended for helping healing. Melafix was also recommended to me.
Aquarium salt doesn't help injuries heal, it simply helps prevent infections and can also kill certain parasites. It's handy but not to be over-used. In this case, I wouldn't recommend it to the OP until we know more information .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Betta Bomb

Thanks for clarifying!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ty everybody .... the tank is a jewel triton 190 it holds 190 litres and as the jewel filter that came with the tank. not sure about the water ph yet going down to pet shop for a kit .
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Zoo Keeper

I would never recommend the filter that came with it I would use at least 1.5 times the filtration double to triple I like best as long as it doesnt affect the fishes swimming.

Last edited by Elliriyanna; 11-14-2011 at 12:44 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, you may need stronger filtration. Goldfish are pretty messy and most goldfish owners use canister filters as opposed to/in addition to hang-on-back types.

Water pH isn't the issue here, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate are the problematic parameters. Most stores will test the water for free but yes, a kit is good to have around .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
aquatic, discussion