Got a new tank! :D - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Got a new tank! :D

So, if you havent heard, the person who sold me my current tank lied to me- Its really a 12 or 15 gallon, NOT a 20!

So I bought my poor druged up fish (Id accidentally been ODing all sorts of stuff) a new home!
I measured it before I bought it, and its AT LEAST a 20 gallon, maye a 25.
I had origanally wanted a 30 or 40 gallon, but my mom says I already have a 40 gallon for my hermies, and I dont need another xD

So now I have the joy of selling my old tank, calling Ocean Devotion to see if theyll fish sit for me AGAIN, and setting up and cycling my new tank. HOW FUN!
No, not really!

But I can get some new fish too, cuz I only have 12 inched worth right now. (4 platies, 4 zebra danios)

Just thought Id share! <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Hello Earthling

Awesome. Can't wait for pictures

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats on the new tank, good luck with the cycling! I hope it goes quickly .

If you didn't already drain your old tank, you could add some filter media and gravel from it to the new tank to jumpstart the process .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks!
Ill probably be using the same gravel and the same pump (it didnt come with a pump) but I think the filter cartidges are different sizes.
I cant drain it till I get my fish out, and I cant do that untill after tuesday.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:33 AM

Yay! New tank = new Can't wait. Hee hee.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:14 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

ok this may sound stupid, can't you put in the 12-15 gals of water from the old tank and put it in the new tank and have it already cycled? and just add another few gals of water?

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Thanks!
Ill probably be using the same gravel and the same pump (it didnt come with a pump) but I think the filter cartidges are different sizes.
I cant drain it till I get my fish out, and I cant do that untill after tuesday.
You can bury the old filter cartridge under the gravel in the new tank to seed the aquarium with beneficial bacteria .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
ok this may sound stupid, can't you put in the 12-15 gals of water from the old tank and put it in the new tank and have it already cycled? and just add another few gals of water?
Well, old tank water alone isn't going to cycle a new aquarium as most of the bacteria is present in the filter and the gravel .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

But if shes going to use the same gravel, in the new tank.. couldn't she drain the water into buckets, switch the gravel to the new tank, then put the old tank water back.. and add however much extra water.. i know the filter would be different... but if she puts the old filter cartridge in the new tank.. then would her new tank still cycle? technically wouldn't it be nearly the same as doing a water change? couldn't she put her fish right back in?

My Furry Family
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

thats what i thought... fish are confusing

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

LOL okay, heres what I did!
On Wed., I took down the old tank, used the same pump, gravel, deco, filter pad, and some of the same water. I put some Cycle in it too.
I had to speed cycle it kinda, cuz my fish are currently living in a plastic cleaned out garbage can with a filter in the side! XD
I tested the water today, and everything looks great! ^^ Im planning on putting my 4 danios in tomarrow, and my platies should be in by tuesday.
I usually would let it run fo a week or 2 but I dont want my fish to die in my 7 gallon garbage.

BTW, I was grounded, so I couldnt update sooner.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

how is it better to keep fish in an uncycled garbage can instead of an uncycled tank?

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

I used the water from their old tank, so its technically been cycled for 4 years. C:

Tags
fish