Got some new fish *pics* - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Talking Got some new fish *pics*

I decided to buy some more fish yesterday and a new aquarium decoration. I bought two tiger barbs and two pink kissing gourami. It was hard to take pics of them, but they didn't turn out too blurry.

Here's my tank before:

And now:

This is the new decoration:

Kissing Gourami:

Tiger Barb:

And here's two other pics that actually turned out quite nice:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Will It Ever Change?

wow your tank is gorgeous!!!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Nice tank!

What size it? I'm not sure if you know this but Kissing Gouramis can often grow to be a foot long. When older they can be very aggressive as well. They aren't really good "community" fish.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Beautiful!

I will second that on the gourami information Steph said. The are beauties but can get big.
Gouramis can be bullies at times just like the barbs! I have barbs, loaches, silver dollar and gouramis together in the same tank, 60 gallon. The barbs usually are the ones that bug the others but not too badly. They usually like to pick on each other.

Here is a thread I posted about my gouramis when I first got them. Steph helped me out
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...hlight=gourami

Lve Never Fails

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:28 PM
RAT ADDICT

Your tank is gorgeous!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:32 PM

love your setup and new additions
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx everyone!
Quote:
What size it? I'm not sure if you know this but Kissing Gouramis can often grow to be a foot long. When older they can be very aggressive as well. They aren't really good "community" fish.
I think it's a 25 gallon, but I'm not completely sure. Somewhere around that anyway, lol. Oops, didn't know that. Well I guess if they get too big or too aggressive I'll just trade them in at the pet store. The Walmart here doesn't let you return fish or trade them in, you can only get your money back if they die within 3 days of purchase. The two green barbs I have now haven't been agressive at all, so maybe none of these will be either. I hope!
Quote:
Here is a thread I posted about my gouramis when I first got them.
Thanx Luvnature!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 03:47 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I love your setup I have one of those little log things! of course yours looks awhile lot cleaner and prettier than mine right now i need to take mine out and clean off the fake plants.. they seem to collect all the crud in the tank

My Furry Family
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
Thanx everyone!

I think it's a 25 gallon, but I'm not completely sure. Somewhere around that anyway, lol. Oops, didn't know that. Well I guess if they get too big or too aggressive I'll just trade them in at the pet store. The Walmart here doesn't let you return fish or trade them in, you can only get your money back if they die within 3 days of purchase. The two green barbs I have now haven't been agressive at all, so maybe none of these will be either. I hope!

Thanx Luvnature!
Personally, I would bring them to a pet store now, before they kill one of your fish.

It's like keeping a turtle and a goldfish in a tank together. They might be ok for a little while but eventually the turtle IS going to eat the fish.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oh dear. I think one of the tanks at work has the same fish in it. The white one was moved from the front tank because it was being mean to another fish (it looks like a huge silver dollar). The white fish stopped being aggressive once it was in the other tank. Or so we thought. That tank looses fish from time to time. I wonder if it's that white fish behind it. I just thought the woman who owns the tank did monitor the water well enough.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:46 AM

You have a lovely tank! I can't find a place in my house that is "sunproof" and so I'm totally embarassed to post photos of mine! I have tank-envy of a serious nature right now! I agree with the gourami statements above. My mom purchased some of these (adorable) critters and they always fought with the other fish.
Maybe someone can correct me, but I thought barbs were "schooling" fish: so that the more they are the less "annoying" they can be towards your other fish. Does the same apply to Gouramis?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiragweed View Post
You have a lovely tank! I can't find a place in my house that is "sunproof" and so I'm totally embarassed to post photos of mine! I have tank-envy of a serious nature right now! I agree with the gourami statements above. My mom purchased some of these (adorable) critters and they always fought with the other fish.
Maybe someone can correct me, but I thought barbs were "schooling" fish: so that the more they are the less "annoying" they can be towards your other fish. Does the same apply to Gouramis?
No, Gouramis are actually solitary fish for the most part (I say that because I'm sure there are a few rare species people will point out to prove me wrong, hahaha). They CAN live in groups but aren't schoolers and sometimes fight.

Think of them like female bettas. In a large tank with lots of hiding spots they'll usually get along. "Usually" being a key word. And just like female bettas they do perfectly fine on their own.

~Stephanie

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 04:33 PM

ah i love the pink kisser: ) do you have 2 or 1? thanks for the pics
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I love the gouramis! I used to have a pair, but not anymore, I think i will get some soon! Is yours albino?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
female betta, female bettas, male betta, pet store, tiger barbs