Gourami's & Blackskirt Tetra's - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Gourami's & Blackskirt Tetra's

Okay, I need advice from those who has these in a community tank. How are they around each other? I am thinking on getting 4 gourami's soon and I have Tetra's. I have owned kissing gourami's and they were fine around each other and my cousin has gourami's with other fish and they are fine. How do they get along? I know my Tetra's are pretty good with goldfish and even Betta's so no problem with them.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It really depends on the individual fish. I've seen Gouramis who were so peaceful they lived with bettas, fancy guppies, and other fish they generally will attack. But I also knew of a Gourami who was so aggressive he had to be housed alone...he even attacked snails....and decorations .

What kind are you getting? Some species are more aggressive then others. Sometimes even certain colorations are more territorial!

But it probably would work out...especially since the gouramis are being added into an existing tank where the tetras all ready are living .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:51 PM

i still don't think it's a great idea but jmo i have two community tanks and one reef tank and have been keeping fish for about 2 years now. while what sasami says is true why risk it when there are alot of other cool choices out there that would be just fine with tetras? otherwise set up a ten gallon for them and use the larger tank for your gouramis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:47 AM

I've kept a number of different Gouramis in various community tanks: Pearl Gouramis, Dwarf Gouramis, Blue Gouramis.. and a few others I can't think of at the moment. How big is your tank? And, what type of Gourami are you thinking about? Pearl Gouramis are great community fish..very docile, but they get big. As do Blues and Moonlights..and Kissing.. the three latter vary alot ..I've seen nice, and I've seen horrible attitudes with them. Dwarf Gouramis can also be nasty..but I Black Skirt Tetras should fast enough (and they can be pretty nippy themselves) to put up with them.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Well, I have not thought on the breed as of yet, my cousin has I think blue gourami's. I got my goldies out and into the BIG pond, it is SOO big and the tetra's are enjoying the space. I like Blue but maybe another once I go look at them, not the kissing kind. I have been keeping fish for over 6 years now, most of my original fish I still have. The tank is a 50 gallon.

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:17 PM

Blue Gouramis..are the same as Gold Gouramis..3 Spot..Lavendar..just different mutations. They can be ok..or they can be very nasty. And they do get large. But a few in a 50 gal would work.The kissing gouramis get HUGE. I'd not put them in less than a 90 gal. preferably larger. I still.LOVE..pearl gouramis..and they 'aren't hard to breed either. I know you usually see juveniles in stores..and they're not a lot to look at ..but you have to see mature ones to understand. The males are gorgeous. They have an iridescent sheen that's hard to catch on camera..

males..

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

They are beautiful!! I love them!! OH PLEASE I hope they have them when I go!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:06 PM

They are very peaceful. And they get about 4-5" w/out fins..them males being a bit larger than the females...so the females more like 3-4".. They are not very popular at all, which kills me.but young pearls like what you will see in stores..are kinda "blah " looking. But wait till they grow up
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I totally second the Pearl Gouramis...they are great fish . Very pretty and definately one of the more peaceful species.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

GODDESS I am GETTING THEM!!!!!

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:01 AM

They look so pretty!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 12:27 AM
RAT ADDICT

Amanda has ONE blue gourami left.She had 3 and one of them was a problem and always attacking the other fish,even tho they were the same species.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 08:43 AM

I had a blue gourami once, or lavender (same species)..that would fight like kissing gouramis with the lip lock thing..to another gourami I had..that was either a blue or lavender.was very interesting!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I got 2 "Assorted" Gourami's, that is what Petcetera was calling them, they are bluish with nice spots...I dunno what they are and if they are blue gourami's...Hmmm...Well here is a pic of the tank, not clear or in the right colors but MEH, at least you can see it, and you can see some of the tetras

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 09:19 PM

Can't see anything in that picture sorry. If they are roundish they may be dwarves, but most likely they are a type of blue gourami.. which can be blue/gold/opaline/lavender/"3 spot" gourami..? Can't tell from pic though sorry. If they look like this they are blue/3 spots..
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_tricho.php