green tank water - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

green tank water

I have a 30gal tank- the water is pea green!

i believe that the main reason for this would be overfeeding the fish and too much organic matter in the water...is that a possibility?

Also, is it true that you need at least 2-3watts per gallon of light? i was thinking about getting a 60watt flourescent light for my 30gal tank..is that enough? and how often should i change the lighting?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 03:55 PM

"Green Water" is an algae that grows in the tank. It is mainly due to to imbalanced nutrients in the water. Here is an article about it:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/ma...greenwater.htm
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 05:16 PM

Smile Hello

The green water is an algae problem. But guess what I do that works great? I keep my gorgeouse plecostomus. They are algae eaters and can help you with your green water problem. Now if you keep your water too clean though you'll need to get agae wafers to feed it. The plecostomus, I know strange name eh, are very mellow fish. Another kind that's good are the little bottom feeders. They will help keep your tank clean.
I hope this helps. Good luck on your tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsylady
The green water is an algae problem. But guess what I do that works great? I keep my gorgeouse plecostomus. They are algae eaters and can help you with your green water problem. Now if you keep your water too clean though you'll need to get agae wafers to feed it. The plecostomus, I know strange name eh, are very mellow fish. Another kind that's good are the little bottom feeders. They will help keep your tank clean.
I hope this helps. Good luck on your tank!
i've got two plecos in there, lol- they arent doing their jobs! lol
but, the algae bloom is suspended in my water, so they couldnt do anything about it anyway

i think my fish are being fed way to much- bc anyone that passes by the tank, always throws them something to eat!

now, if i could stop the algae problem my next step would be to get proper lighting in my tank- the watt im using is a 20 or so and none of the plants look good

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 09:25 AM

awwz fire those plecos . Well as far as feeding your right. They should be fed twice a day depending on how many fish also. The water can get real yucky from that, but you already know this lol.
A good bet on lights is to go to a pet store and ask someone working there about the lights. Explain to them about your plants too. You see sometimes its certain lights and not thier wattage that helps or hurts a plant. They have the clear and frosted for example. Make sure though that you get a good light for your plants that is not so strong it kills your fish. That can happen also. I love going to PetsBarn because there is a man who knows all there is to know practically about fish. It's good to talk with someone who you know your getting the real deal and not getting somone who guesses. That's the best bet, for me at least
Oh and I remember someone saying to get your water tested. That is a very good idea because you just never know.
If you have fresh water fish they need a little salt too. I don't know if you know that, but for those of you that don't...the salt helps them stay calm and healthy. Here's what I use API aquarium salt. It is a natural fish toxin which improves the gills function and promotes disease recovery too. You only put one tablespoon for each 5 gallon. And remember salt water does not filter out so you only replace the salt you took out. Well that's just a little tipper.
Anyhow good luck with the fish and tell those people to stop feeding them so much lol.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 09:28 AM

Oh I had an idea lol. What if you put up a dry erase board above the fish area. And on it mark down a check or something to show you fed the fish on that day or someone else did. Then tell the others if you see this checked then the fish have been fed so don't feed them.
Well it's just an idea. I hope you find some way. Good luck again!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Leo

Most local fish stores (LFS) should test your water for free and sell you the chemicals you need to get it back to the right levels (I know for Saltwater my LFS requires you to bring in a water sample before they will even sell you a fish)....
-DO NOT ADD LIGHTS RIGHT NOW!!!! the lights will cause you to get even more alge.... also how close is your tank to a window & how much sunlight does it get? Light causes Alge to grow! ....
-Have you considered getting snails? they can help keep the alge down as well as the pleco....
-How often are you doing water changes?
-Do you have a filtration system?
-Are your plants synthetic or real? real plants can casue alge problems and this could be the culprit (I never keep real plants in a freshwater aquarium for this reason).

Overfeeding fish can be deadly to them and is very dangerous.... stick to feeding them at certain times of the day only and tell everyone in your house that they are only to be fed at say 9 am and 6pm ... maybe having only 1 person responsible for feeding the fish is the best idea. With the feeding system you currently have set up:
Quote:
i think my fish are being fed way to much- bc anyone that passes by the tank, always throws them something to eat!
this plan is a sure set up for tank falures: including dirty stinky water, dead fish, alge blooms etc.

Perhaps going to the library and finding some books on keeping the particular fish that you have would be a good idea along with a book on basic aquarium care. Have EVERYONE in the house read them.

In your case you need to go to a LFS today and fully explain your situiation... bring in a water sample and ask them what you should do.... I think it will include water changes over the next few days and possibly adding some chemicals...

Quote:
If you have fresh water fish they need a little salt too. I don't know if you know that, but for those of you that don't...the salt helps them stay calm and healthy. Here's what I use API aquarium salt. It is a natural fish toxin which improves the gills function and promotes disease recovery too. You only put one tablespoon for each 5 gallon. And remember salt water does not filter out so you only replace the salt you took out. Well that's just a little tipper.
Do not do this without talking to a knowledgable fish person at your LFS first and telling them exactly what your set up is with what fish you have ... certain fish can handle the salt and others wont do so well (ie:will die)... I sucessfully had an angel fish that lived for about 10 years and NEVER put salt in the tank (I have never had to use salt in my freshwater tanks ever and have sucessfuly kept freshwater aquariums without disease, becasue I quarintine before adding new fish into my system and only buy from a reputable source).... salt in freshwater tanks is usually used for healing purposes and not on a regular basis unless you have fish that could be a borderline brackish fish (there are only a few species that go both ways).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
-Are your plants synthetic or real? real plants can casue alge problems and this could be the culprit (I never keep real plants in a freshwater aquarium for this reason).
I just had to reply to this...

Where did you get that information? Live plants actually help keep algae levels down, because there is competetion for nutrients .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i have a filter and do changes in water about every 2wks (90%)

used to have a lot of plants- however, due to what i assume was bad lighting, most of them died

and then the algae blooms came, the water would turn so green, and the tank is located no where near a window

however, i am going to do a chem test on the water, the pH is fine, but im sure the organic wastes are just out of control

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Tags
algae eater, aquarium salt, local fish store, pet store