Grr... those pesky snails... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Smile Grr... those pesky snails...

Is there another way of getting rid of snails. I bought some new plants a while ago and they must have been coated in snail eggs because a few later our tank is full of them.

I have tried pulling them out which is time consuming to say the least and not affective at catching all of them. My friend recoomended a solution that you put in the water. This apparently knocks the snails out making easier to catch them but it doesnt actually kill them.

I have taken the plants out as his is where they are laying the majority of eggs but i don't want to have fake plants... Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 04:16 PM

soak your plants in vinegar for a few mins, then wash them off, kills the eggs. or put a dish make sure sealed over all the way. with food in the middle then remove the snails. goodluck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialname
soak your plants in vinegar for a few mins, then wash them off, kills the eggs. or put a dish make sure sealed over all the way. with food in the middle then remove the snails. goodluck
Ah, so it's all about tricking them!

Thanks for the advise - here's to a soon-to-be snail free tank!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yup, like specialname said you have to attract them with food. Take a small jar and put a piece of lettuce in it and leave it in the tank overnight. The next day just throw out the lettuce . Repeat this a few times and they should mostly be gone. I do not recommend using chemicals.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Yes I was bit wary about using chemicals also but it means i cant have real plants becuase they mulitply even more. Although they seem to have reduced in numbers since removing them.

Thank you Sasami
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloverabbits
Yes I was bit wary about using chemicals also but it means i cant have real plants becuase they mulitply even more. Although they seem to have reduced in numbers since removing them.

Thank you Sasami
You can have live plants...you just need to treat them first . You can do either a bleach dip (I bet if you searched on Google you'd find a bunch of pages with instructions) or use a product like Had-A-Snail. Keep in mind that if you ever use a product to remove snails that contains copper you should never keep snails or any other animals sensitive to it in your aquarium...it's pretty much impossible to get rid of all the copper no matter how much you clean the tank.

You could also try a different store...the store I get my plants from is pretty good and there are never any hitchhiker snails except for Malaysian Trumpet Snails which are actually helpful .

And honestly, it doesn't matter if you have some snails in your tank...they don't really do much. In fact, they'll help keep your glass clean . Obviously you don't want to have tons but a few are fine. Usually the population will stabalize anyways.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:13 PM
RAT ADDICT

Is your tank tropical? How big is it??

Maybe try getting a clown loach.They are helpful in getting rid of snail populations.

I once had a snail problem and it drove me crazy!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Is your tank tropical? How big is it??

Maybe try getting a clown loach.They are helpful in getting rid of snail populations.

I once had a snail problem and it drove me crazy!!
Yes we have a tropical tank (not sure of the size, think about 60 gallons maybe?? Is that huge? it's kind of average with mollies, platies and one bristle nosed cat fish.

They are so frustrating. As Sasami said, i dont mind a few but it's becoming more of snail tank than fish!! Grrrr....