Are guppies territorial? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Are guppies territorial?

One of my guppies attacked two of my other guppies. One's a gonner for sure, but the other one might make it. I didn't know that guppies attacked eachother. I've had them many times in the past and never had any problems. He's also doing this weird rubbing thing on the heater and on the other guppy that he hasn't attacked yet. I have a video of the rubbing thing on the heater, but it's a bit blurry. He does it really fast. Fish Rubbing
Has any one had any experiences with something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 11:50 AM

I'm sorry I can't help
I had guppies a few times now,my problem is I can't keep them alive They all die really fast& I have no prob with my other fish!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Rubbing on things isn't a good sign . He might have parasites or something and because of his pain is attacking the others. I mean, he might just be aggressive but I would isolate him from the others.

You got him at Wal-Mart, right? I really suspect parasites or some sort of disease...

Sometimes males are just mean but normally they are peaceful fish. I think something is going on...

Have you tested the water? And are there plenty of hiding spots?

I have a bad feeling it's ich...

Oh, and I used to keep male fancy guppies. They were never aggressive towards each other and never rubbed against stuff.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

I haven't tested the water , but they have plenty of places to hide, LOTS of plants and rocks. I've had a tank with ick before and they never did anything like this before. I've also had many... many guppies in the past, I'm thinking he's just aggressive, I just always thought all guppies were peaceful. Why would he rub like that on the other fish too? It kinda seems like he's saying he's the boss. Do guppies have "leaders"? I want to seperate him, but I have nothing I can use and I can't go buy something until the saturday.

Thanx for the reply and advice, it's very much appreciated.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko
I haven't tested the water , but they have plenty of places to hide, LOTS of plants and rocks. I've had a tank with ick before and they never did anything like this before. I've also had many... many guppies in the past, I'm thinking he's just aggressive, I just always thought all guppies were peaceful. Why would he rub like that on the other fish too? It kinda seems like he's saying he's the boss. Do guppies have "leaders"? I want to seperate him, but I have nothing I can use and I can't go buy something until the saturday.

Thanx for the reply and advice, it's very much appreciated.
Then please test the water asap. Even if he wasn't acting like this you should be testing every day since the tank is new. I would hate for you to get an ammonia spike and lose your fishies.

No, guppies don't normally do the rubbing thing. I mean, he could just be weird but rubbing usually is a sign of parsites or poisoning. Guppies do sort of have leaders but it's nothing like wolf packs or anything, hehe. And if he is just really aggressive you might be able to bring him back to the store. I know most stores here will take back "peaceful" fish if they end up being really mean. Otherwise you'll probably have to keep him alone or with peaceful bottom dwellers he won't notice (pygmy cories might be a good choice ).

By the way, rubbing isn't always just a sign of ich. It could be a different parasite or even velvet (which I seriously hope isn't true). Sometimes fish will act that way if nitrites, ammonia, or high amounts of nitrates are present in the water.

So what I would personally do is test the water, do a small water change, isolate him as soon as you can, and keep a close eye on him. Like I said, he could just be a weird fish but usually rubbing is not a good thing.

Good luck with him!!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx for the help, I will test the water tomorrow. I also put in some medication stuff just in case they have anything. Was that a good thing to do? I hope so! Oh and I lost another guppy, the black one bit his tail.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Well, I tested the water and everything is normal, so that's good! I guess my guppy just hates other guppies.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You tested ammonia and nitrites too, right? Just making sure .

What medication was it? I wouldn't recommend using meds unless you know exactly what the illness is. Otherwise they'll do more harm then good. Since the tank is new and you're doing plenty of water changes it shouldn't be a problem, though. Unless you are using something super strong. I'm sorry for your loss . Did you remove the mean guppy yet?

~Stephanie

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Yep, I tested everything, I wanted to make sure the water was okay. And it is, woo-hoo! The medication is CopperSafe, it's for Ich, Velvet and other external parasites. Was that okay to use? I also bought Ammonia Clear, but I only need to use that if there's high amount of ammonia in the water right?

For some reason after the two guppies died that he attacked and after I put the meds in he went normal. He isn't rubbing on anything or the other fish, maybe he was just having a bad day, lol.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Yep, I tested everything, I wanted to make sure the water was okay. And it is, woo-hoo! The medication is CopperSafe, it's for Ich, Velvet and other external parasites. Was that okay to use? I also bought Ammonia Clear, but I only need to use that if there's high amount of ammonia in the water right?

For some reason after the two guppies died that he attacked and after I put the meds in he went normal. He isn't rubbing on anything or the other fish, maybe he was just having a bad day, lol.
CopperSafe is ok but keep in mind now you can't ever keep any invertebrates in the tank. That means no crabs, snails, shrimp, clams, crayfish, etc. Copper will kill them and even completely cleaning out the tank won't get rid of it. The plus side is now you won't have pest snail issues, lol. Unfortunately copper also harms and often kills many live plants. I never use any copper-based meds and if I ever did it would be in the hospital tank and not the main one since I love plants and inverts . Yeah, you don't need to use Ammonia Clear unless you have ammonia. But in the beginning you shouldn't use it anyway since the beneficial bacteria need the ammonia to eat and reproduce. If you do get an ammonia spike just do a water change.

Haha, maybe.

~Stephanie

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Unfortunately copper also harms and often kills many live plants.
That really sux! I love having live plants. So mine are probably going to die?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
That really sux! I love having live plants. So mine are probably going to die?
Depends on what kind they are. If you are worried I'd do a big water change to get rid of most of the medication...or use some activated carbon in the filter. Then they might have a chance . But some plants are really sensitive =/.

Small amounts of copper usually won't harm most plants (but it will kill inverts).

~Stephanie

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Okay thanx, I'll do a water change and see what happens. One of my plants is already looking pretty bad, some of the fish have been picking at it. I guess it's yummy, lol.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Okay thanx, I'll do a water change and see what happens. One of my plants is already looking pretty bad, some of the fish have been picking at it. I guess it's yummy, lol.
It's probably your guppies...they enjoy nibbling on plants. To stop them from going nuts feed them some vegetables .

~Stephanie

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Are you serious? That's weird, lol. What kind and fresh or frozen? And how often?

Tags
romaine lettuce