Guppy guppy update. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Guppy guppy update.

Ok, so awhile back we got two female guppies one is grey black and blue -Sky- and one is white/clear? yellow and orange -Sun- cuz she has a sunburst on her tail, and well it goes well with Sky.. i was very tempted to call her Mimi cuz when shes facing right at you she sorta looked like she had alot of makeup on well like 2 weeks ago they had some babies.. yay.. but only 3.. *i think* Sky had 2, and Sun had one. And everyone was doing well for awhile.. But Tuesday morning i went to feed them, and Sun didn't come out to eat so i waited alittle while and came back and fed them a little more and still no sun.. so i lifted up the pirate ship and there was she was stuck under there, but i don't know if she got stuck under there and died.. or maybe if she went under there to die? cuz i remember the night before she was being pretty still, i kinda figured she might be getting ready to have more babies.. so maybe something went wrong and she died in the process or something? she looked normal, wasn't bloated or anything, and i tested the water and everything was ok. so yeah.. Sun died.. heh that sounds really depressing
Newayz.. yeah.. so the day after she died, i saw a new little guppy peeking out from a clump of floating grass.. which made me think it might have been hers, but the next day there was another one.. and then the next day another one so now we have 3 new little guppies.. and I'm sure 2 of them are Sky's, but all 3 prolly are. it would be neat if the first one was Suns tho. It will prolly be a few more days till they start to get some color. but there doing well otherwise. so far they can out swim there momma. So now we have 6 Little guppies and a momma guppy in a 10gallon tank. So i need to get another 10gallon set up for them.. but i cant decide where to put it! the current one is on our bathroom counter right now it was supposed to be temporary.. but i think David likes it there.. I want one next to my bed, so David said he is gonna build me a night stand to put it on.. (anyone remember how long it took him to build the stand for my 29gallon tank? and hes working more now.. ) I took pictures of Sun and Sky and there first 3 babies.. but of course we cant find the cord to unload my camera.. David said he put it somewhere so he would know where it is.. But i promise when I find it I will post some Little baby guppy pictures, if any of them turn out. So yeah.. Thats our fishie update.. Everyone in the 29gal tank is doing well.. Its near a window so it gets some sun, i know big fish tank nono! but i think the fishies kinda like it. they wake up to the sun in the morning instead of a light just popping on.. and of course its getting some algae on the back wall, they they will nibble on alittle, and of course the snails like it.. heh i love my snails.. even if they nibble on my plants alittle! Speaking of plants.. I need more! heh, i love my moneywort in the 10gallon and want some more of that, but they didn't have any last time i went to the petstore.. i like the java ferns, but there not doing well in the 29gal. i think i might move them to the 10gallon later. I read about something called Guppy Grass on another forum, but haven't found much info on it, does anyone know if it has another name, or know anything about it? The guy that was talking about it was giving some away cus he said it grows really fast. but it was a really old post, like 2-3years old. So theres our fishie update.. pics coming soon i promise! sorry its so long

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm sorry to hear about Sun...sometimes guppies seem to die for no reason. I'd imagine they are genetically weak (petstore ones, anyways) because of inbreeding. Females often don't live as long anyways because of overbreeding .

Are the java ferns planted into the substrate? And what's the lighting? They tend to be hardy plants so the problem is probably simple .

Guppy grass is Najas guadalupensis and is also called Southern Waternymph or Southern Naiad. It's extremely hardy and easy to care for.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Thanks sasami, wouldnt happen to know where i could find some tho would you?

As for the Java fern.. sorta - it was in the subtrate.. but the 29gal has river rocks in it, so it doesnt stay down very well, they have shot out some roots which are holding it down in the tank, but its not actually in the subtrate.. which is kinda why i was thinking it would be better to put it in the 10gal that has regular gravel. I wasnt sure what the lighting was on there, cuz the bulb didnt say how many watts it was but it said F18/T8 i looked that up this morning and aparently that means its 18 watts?? So aparently if i want plants in there im gonna need to get a new light.. bleh.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff View Post
Thanks sasami, wouldnt happen to know where i could find some tho would you?

As for the Java fern.. sorta - it was in the subtrate.. but the 29gal has river rocks in it, so it doesnt stay down very well, they have shot out some roots which are holding it down in the tank, but its not actually in the subtrate.. which is kinda why i was thinking it would be better to put it in the 10gal that has regular gravel. I wasnt sure what the lighting was on there, cuz the bulb didnt say how many watts it was but it said F18/T8 i looked that up this morning and aparently that means its 18 watts?? So aparently if i want plants in there im gonna need to get a new light.. bleh.
Here ya go:

The Snail Store by Rainbow Snails - Guppy Grass (Powered by CubeCart)

A lot of people order from her and she is very honest and reliable.

Actually, that's your problem. Java ferns shouldn't be planted into the substrate. They do best when tied or wedged into driftwood or rocks. If the roots are buried they can rot. They can even thrive while floating around the tank, haha.

No, you don't need a new light...depends on the plants you want. Java ferns actually do great in low-light set-ups and same goes for guppy grass, watersprite, water wisteria, hornwort, etc. Anacharis works well in some tanks.

Just be careful with what plants you put in there and I'm sure you'll be fine . I have a small nano tank with plants...and it doesn't even have a light .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:18 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry you lost the one guppy! I hope the rest do well,you sounded so excited about them! I love guppies,they are a cute fish.

I had hornwort,watersprite and duck weed in my tank...unfortunatly my goldfish destroyed all the plants I had...now they have none.Those three kinds of plants are pretty hardy,but the duck weed is crazy! It keeps growing,even in dull light and covers the top of the water and gets in the way of everything.It also sticks to everything!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
fish tank