Guppy, sick? maybe? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Guppy, sick? maybe?

I currently have 2 female guppies alone in a 29 gallon tank, well with a bunch of snails of course! They have been alone in the tank, without any males for a long time, maybe a year or more. And i noticed a few days ago that the blue one had gotten rather fat. she looks pregnant. and i know female guppies can store it and get pregnant for awhile after being with a male, but isn't a year a bit too long?

And last night. it looked like she had like stringy poop or something, and it was still hanging on her this morning, but seems to be gone now. The other one looks ok. They both seem to be swimming ok, and eating normally and otherwise acting fine. Anyone know whats going on with my fishies? Do you think she could be sick? We were planing on going to the city next week to find a male to put in with the two of them. Do you think theres something wrong with her? or am i worrying too much? Could she possibly be pregnant?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hmm, yeah, a year is a bit long for her to have been storing sperm. Try fasting her for a day or two--it's possible that she's just overweight or a bit bloated.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Sorry i havent gotten back to this one, There hasn't really been any changes, shes still bloated looking, and seems to be swimming ok. But now shes all spikey looking, pineconing? Is there anything i can do for her?

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yes, I'm afraid that spiky scales means pineconing . Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do since you don't know the cause. If it was me, I'd probably try an epsom salt bath--I mean, it's worth a shot.

And sorry for not getting back to you until now, I've been really busy too.

Good luck with her. Sadly, guppies are just prone to all sorts of problems because of in-breeding and over-breeding . That's why I stopped keeping them, it was too much heart-break.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

yeah, sorry its taken me awhile to come back, unfortunately she died in the night after i posted, but yeah, i kinda new it was gonna happen. But she was eating and swimming normally the last time i seen her, and i found her the next morning down in her corner where shes always slept. So i dont think she suffered too much. I know guppies have alot of health problems, but i cant help but love them.

I read alittle about the salt bath thing, but i'm not sure how to do it? and Ive heard people mention using epsom salt or aquarium salt. Is epsom salt better?

My Furry Family
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm sorry for your loss .

Epsom salts are different than aquarium salt--but they both have their uses, confusing, I know!

I think I posted how to give a salt bath in another thread...let's see...

"The general accepted rule tends to be 1 tablespoon per gallon. Prepare a small container (make sure the water is the same temperature as the tank...in fact, you may want to use tank water) and add the epsom salts to the water. Then you put the goldfish into the container and leave him there for 5-10 minutes. Watch to make sure he doesn't completely freak out although it's normal for him to be stressed out. While he's in the bath I'd do a water change on the hospital tank so when he goes back to his home it's nice and clean. You can give him a salt bath twice a day and I would try it several times over the next few days."

That was for a goldfish but you get the point . Aquarium salt tends to be added directly to an aquarium to help combat parasites or even to prevent infections. Epsom salt baths, on the other hand, are more useful for problems such as bloat.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

So after the 5 or 10 mins in the salt bath, do you just put the fish back into the hospital tank, or do you have to slowly adjust the water the way you would for a new fish?

My Furry Family
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would actually say it depends on the fish, you might have to do some acclimation if it's a more sensitive species (but I'll be honest, I've never tried it on anything too exotic--just goldfish, bettas, and livebearers).

The sudden change back will shock the fish but the whole bath will anyways (this is usually a last resort sort of treatment). In some ways the shock is actually good because the sudden changes can kill off some parasites and bacteria. But if you were trying this on something sensitive, you'd probably be forced to acclimate carefully to avoid killing the fish.

~Stephanie

Tags
fat, guppy, sick