Had a genius idea this morning.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Had a genius idea this morning..

Well actually.. it was a rather obvious idea that i cant believe i didn't think of before
So right now we have a 29gallon tank with 3 adult male guppies and one younger male.. and 2 corys.
And we have one 10gallon tank.. with Momma guppy and 6 female youngins as well as the 3 newer babies that i haven't been able to sex for sure yet.. there on the other side of a tank divider that gives them about 3-4inches of the tank. not much room, i know, but more than most breeder nets allow.
So the painfully obvious idea.. Instead of racking my brain trying to figure out where to set up another 10gallon.. why not put the males in the 10, and put the females in the 29.. it seems so obvious now.. but the questions comes, how would one go about doing this?
When i moved the little male guppy, i put him in a small cup, put the cup in a larger container, Put some tank water into the container to help adjust the temperature, then used some airline to drip water from the big tank into the cup, and let it go until the cup was full, dumped some out and let it be again until the cup was overflowing a bit. I think it worked great. i think it was alot less stressfull for them than me coming back every 10-15mins and dumping tank water in there bag like we did when we first got them.
But I'm not sure how well it would work with so many fish.. obviously it would need to be on a larger scale.. i have a small 1-2gallon plastic tank i could put all the females in.. will they be ok in that for a few hours with fresh-ish water coming from the other tank? should i find a small air stone to put in with them? And one would have to do the males at the same time, so i have to find something else to put them in.. i have a bag from when we got some fish or a plant or something, could the 4 of them be in a bag, for awhile, or maybe a mason jar.. heh this a bit more complicated then it seems.. no wonder i didn't think of it before I'm also thinking i will leave the corys in the 29gallon tank. maybe i might move them another day, but they don't bother the guppies so no since moving them if i don't have to, and also, the 3 baby guppies that are on the other side of the 10gallon divider should prolly stay in there for another week or so, but the males shouldn't be able to bother them any right?
I'm posting this mostly to help myself think it threw, but any comments suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Both tanks should have roughly the same water parameters, right? If that's the case I wouldn't worry too much about acclimation . Drip acclimation isn't really needed in this case...unless the tanks are drastically different. I think it's great that you go to such lengths but it's probably not necessary for your guppies. Good practice for if you get into marine reefs, though :p.

The older males shouldn't bother the younger ones. Just make sure there are plenty of hiding spots.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

heh leave it to me to make things complicated

My Furry Family