Photos! Half done Planted tank! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Half done Planted tank!

Here's my half done planted tank. I'm waiting to finish it because I would like to put a piece of driftwood in on the empty side and put more plants around it. I have in there 2 types of anubis, some baby tears on a rock (that aren't doing so well) a moss ball (that I bought floating and now it doesn't float any more-?) some cryptocorn, the white and green one (that is doing REALLY well!) and the big feathery one, which I may take out because that is not doing well either. Thoughts and suggestions are needed!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0362.jpg (68.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0363.jpg (66.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0364.jpg (71.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0365.jpg (69.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0366.jpg (68.0 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I sent you a PM .

What kind of plant is the "big, feathery one"? Some kind of sword plant? Your lighting isn't adequate for swords. Try to stick to the plants I recommended, you have low lighting and need to avoid any plants with higher lighting requirements. Don't feel the need to get tons of different plants to fill the tank--they'll grow in time and fill out nicely .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, its a sword plant. I'll probably be taking it out soon, or maybe just trimming it down and seeing what happens. I really like it, its nice to look at and its growing new leaves, so we'll just wait and see. I wanted to get the whole thing done before I put in any fish, just to see which plants worked and which didn't. I also get a little freaked out putting my hands into the water when there are fish in there! lol.

But yeah, just waiting on that driftwood before the clock starts to get fish...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

I have a bunch of marimo balls (moss balls - but they are actually algae not moss) in my tanks - I really like them for some reason.

Where they grow in the wild, they form balls due to the waves rolling them around. If you don't have a current in your tank that is strong enough to move them around a bit, you need to take them out every once in awhile and roll them around in your hands - or they can eventually loose their ball shape.

They are able to float or sink in response to light levels. When they get a lot of light, the process of photosynthesis causes air bubbles to form within the ball, which then causes them to float closer to the light source.

Some people like to rip apart the balls - if you tie the pieces to drift wood or some other type of anchor they will eventually grow to cover it. They can grow to make a really nice bright green algae carpet.

They are suppose to be good for fish tanks, because they use up a lot of nutrients and can keep levels of other types of algae down by using up all the resources. Plus, where they are found naturally in Japan, they are considered to be good luck!

Um unless you have some other kind of moss and not a marimo ball...then just ignore everything I said!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for the info! I was wondering why mine didn't float anymore! But, since it is not going to get any more light than it is now, maybe i will break it apart and tie it onto a rock or something....

Mine is probably the algae kind, a lot of junk falls off of it when it is moved haha. I'm sure it will be a great source of food for the bottom dwellers eventually!

I'm sad it doesn't float though, i thought it was really cool that they looked like mines (I'm a wartime history major!)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Part of the Pack

haha so true the plants will TAKE OVER!!! I have Vallisneria, java fern, and 3 red melon swords. plus.... a crap ton of baby swords because one of my swords (named biggins) has taken over half of my 100gal tank and constantly makes baby sword plants! I now wish I had only bought one sword! haha. Vallisneria is a good plant, I have grown in with lower light pretty well. Its a nice backround plant, grows tall.

---Also, with live plants, plan on sticking your hands in the tank with fish in there! I have to fix my plants or trim them up a few times a month. The fish learn to just move to one side, when they arent begging for food!!

Last edited by nik8806; 10-11-2010 at 10:10 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Newborn Pup

Tank looks great, might want to consider a background.

Tags
planted tank