Photos! A handful of aquarium pics - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

A handful of aquarium pics

I don't post many pictures of my aquariums these days and that's for two reasons:

1.) I have a crappy camera that is now even crappier .

2.) I lost a bunch of animals (mostly marine fish and coral colonies...plus the whole brackish tank) during an unusual October snow storm. I've lived here for over fifteen years and we've never lost power for more than a few hours partially due to being in a priority zone (fire station is nearby). The times we have lost power were always in summer and the tanks were equipped with battery-powered air pumps just in case. Unfortunately, the Halloween blizzard caused us to lose power for days and the temperatures got very low . Oxygen levels were good in the tanks but of course water temperature plummeted. I couldn't even leave to go borrow a generator since cables were down all over the roads. Among the animals lost were the Colombian sharks, which we had kept for years . The oddest survivor was the skunk cleaner shrimp. He basically "froze" in place and started moving once the water warmed up. He survived temperatures down in the 40's F. Amazing. He was the only marine shrimp survivor.

Since some of the tanks were empty/near empty after the storm, there was no point in restarting them since I'm moving at the end of the year. So we're down to four aquariums total (and one of those is more for breeding copepods and quarantine). I especially downgraded my reef aquarium and moved the survivors to a 30 long that my friend gave me. I've restocked a bit but am keeping it simple. I was only going to do soft coral...but...I'm weak . So I have a few LPS, just no SPS. And I'm trying to avoid non-photosynthetic coral/worms this time but I don't know how long that will last. I do miss my cocoworms and feather dusters...

The new set-up has a mixture of new and old rock which is why it looks a little odd. I had won a bunch of rock online and figured the new tank was a good excuse to use it. I also didn't want to move over certain pieces from the old tank due to hitchhiker crabs (story for another day, I suppose).

Oh, and I don't clean algae :p. Unless it's on the front glass. I'm not a fan of the sterile "reef" look, ha. I also have a special fish who needs the algae, which I'll get to later.

First, here are some of my favorite pets...my sexy shrimp. Yes, that's what they're called . If you saw them dance, you'd know why. I'll get a video sometime. They host in a small frogspawn colony. I plan to get a few more...I just waited a few months after getting the first two in case something ate them.

This Watchman Goby drives me insane. He hates cameras and I can never get good pictures of him. I will someday! He's pretty new, only got him a couple months ago.

Damselfish and a random polyp colony:

Damsel again (old pic, can't find full size) :

My clownfish has an odd habit of hanging out with whatever fish I'm photographing. Seriously. Evidence:

Here he is alone:

And the mandarin alone:

Continued...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

As for the fish that needs all this algae, meet my Rainford's Goby. He's my very favorite fish and eats filamentous algae exclusively (I will be trying to "train" him to eat nori, though, before I move). Of course, when I went to take a picture...

Come on! The clown is even looking at the camera, I swear.

I'm amazed I managed to get any shots without the clown:

Now for a few random coral shots.

Sympodium:

Waving hands:

Leather:

Brain coral eating:

A hermit crab with a very impractical shell:

Next time I'll get some photos of the cleaner shrimp who survived against all odds. He recently molted and was hiding when I tried to take pictures. I'll also have to get some pictures of my freshwater guys. We're down to (spread between two tanks) just bettas, Endlers, red eye tetras, cherry shrimp, and various snails.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Betta Bomb

wow. I've always admired salt water tanks as I have a lifelong fasciniation with the ocean. Your little friends are gorgeous! My goodness Stephanie!
Do you have a pic of the tank? I'd love to see the set up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'll try to get a full tank shot . The problem is that the lighting makes it so hard to get photos that show the right colors, ha.

~Stephanie

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

Long term power outages really screw up life don't they !
In January of 1998 we were without power for 12 days and I never want to do that again.
But your pics are great and I hope things work out better this year.

Please have pets spayed or neutered and wearing an ID tag.
Adoption is the only option
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Beautiful!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

So sorry for your losses.

Just too great and amazing tanks, especially those corals and plants, as well as the animals.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!