He IS really ill! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
YES! He made it! AND the problem was ammonia I believe,because as I said when the water got thrown out,the worms did too,which ended up being planaria ! Before I put him in the 10gal again I must cycle it & such...also I picked up medication for fin rot because I was advised it wouldnt hurt.
BUT he's swimming fine& everything now like nothing was ever wrong .
I have filters now! Made by "tetra" it is the "whisper internal power filter". (for 2 -10 gallon tanks) I bought 25W aquarium light bulbs (i think they are florescent,how can you tell? Flourescent is clear correct?) & I bought them in blue =P (I also bought the same for my 5.5gallon btw.I could not find any sort of sand for plants...or liquid fertilizers),the plants i have are pretty much wedged between rocks around the roots...(they arent supposed to be planted) & the gravel i'm using is epoxy coated aquarium gravel,made by stoney river.
AND I bought test kits so no more guessing is my water is "fit" or not.
Oh I should add I also bought "cycle" by Nutrafin & AquaPlus by Nutrafin
Think thats all....? I spent way over 70$!
OH! My female betta has a new tankmate! Her first ever tank mate! A pepper corydora,that I named "Pepper" I'm inventive like that

Thank you everyone!!!

& Bethany,there was no plants or tank mates etc,it was just being started. My betta was being moved from a "kit" to an aquarium.
I figured it was ammonia. I'm glad you have a test kit as that's really important. Keep in mind that it's going to take weeks to cycle unless you use Bio-Spira even if you're using other products. "Cycle" doesn't actually cycle an aquarium...it just speeds the process along .

Be careful with that filter because some bettas have gotten their fins trapped in the intake tube. You can easily solve this problem by stretching out the toe from a pair of old tights and then putting it over the tube with a rubberband. Also, that filter tends to be too strong for some fish so to slow the current I would put some plants nearby. Another thing is that it says to change the cartridge every few months but I would only change it twice a year. When you change it bury the old cartridge in the subtrate for a while or leave it in for a few weeks with the new one. Basically, just don't completely throw it away at first because you'll lose beneficial bacteria and will have to cycle all over again. Just figured I'd give you some pointers since I've used that filter before.

Flourescent bulbs are long tubes while incandescent bulbs look like regular light bulbs and screw in to the socket rather then by plugging in. The fact that you mentioned getting blue bulbs is a bit worrying because I know they sell cheap incandescent bulbs that come in different colors ^_^;. I seriously hope they aren't blue incandescents because you can't grow plants with those .

I'm hoping that maybe you got the blue-ish mini compacts they sell for small tanks.

I'm surprised you couldn't find any liquid fertilizers or anything...both PetCo and PetsMart carry plant-related products here. The plants you have would probably be fine without fertilizer...just keep an eye on them.

Haha, I had a peppered cory cat named Pepper, too . Sadly, he died over the summer. Anyways, I hope you have room for more cories because they need to kept in groups of at least three. Pepper won't do very well if he's kept alone. And peppered cories can be especially nervous and have a huge need for having buddies. Out of all the cory species I've had my peppered hid the most, hehe.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Yup,I am getting Bio-Spira,I ordered it when you gave me the link,just I still don't have it in the mail yet My fish won't be added to that aquarium for awhile& even longer before he gets tankmates.

Thank you for the tips! ^_^
Seriously,that was the only filter I seen for 'smaller' tanks! If I had a 20+ gallon I would have much more options filter wise!

Ah,in that case I never purchased incandescent bulbs! They are the tube bulbs,& I plug it into an outlet.The aren't like regular light bulbs =P

Well,I only shop at Wal-Mart since thats the only "pet store" within hours from me.They only recently started selling plants so maybe the aquatic plant selection will grow soon too! I'm also really amazed they started selling carebooks& finally have stuff for sale [good stuff also!] for the hermit crabs ^_^;
All along they sold nothing for those & now they sell some basics =D.
I think I may buy plant fertilizer online though.
Any sites to reccommend?

Well I can't put many creatures in that tank [since its the 5.5gal] but I think cories are quickly growing on me! Pepper is only a tiny little thing atm.Think I could easily have 3 small corydoras + my female betta in that aquarium? I was looking into platies also though,but I have 2 other aquariums in which I could put platys in .
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

P.S Thanks again for all your help everyone =)
I'm so glad I never loss my betta!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Yup,I am getting Bio-Spira,I ordered it when you gave me the link,just I still don't have it in the mail yet My fish won't be added to that aquarium for awhile& even longer before he gets tankmates.

Thank you for the tips! ^_^
Seriously,that was the only filter I seen for 'smaller' tanks! If I had a 20+ gallon I would have much more options filter wise!

Ah,in that case I never purchased incandescent bulbs! They are the tube bulbs,& I plug it into an outlet.The aren't like regular light bulbs =P

Well,I only shop at Wal-Mart since thats the only "pet store" within hours from me.They only recently started selling plants so maybe the aquatic plant selection will grow soon too! I'm also really amazed they started selling carebooks& finally have stuff for sale [good stuff also!] for the hermit crabs ^_^;
All along they sold nothing for those & now they sell some basics =D.
I think I may buy plant fertilizer online though.
Any sites to reccommend?

Well I can't put many creatures in that tank [since its the 5.5gal] but I think cories are quickly growing on me! Pepper is only a tiny little thing atm.Think I could easily have 3 small corydoras + my female betta in that aquarium? I was looking into platies also though,but I have 2 other aquariums in which I could put platys in .
That's weird that your Bio-Spira didn't come yet...I'm guessing it's because you're in Canada. Hopefully it gets to you soon because the moment you add it you can put your fish in the tank .

There are many filters for small tanks but not at Wal Mart, haha! The Whisper one will work...just don't over-stock the tank because it doesn't have the best biological filteration. It'll get the job done, though.

Ok, I'm glad you got flourescent bulbs ^_^. Do they say that they are blue on the package? Do you know the brand?

I always recommend http://www.drsfostersmith.com for fish supplies . They have pretty much everything with great prices and lots of sales. Shipping is expensive but they have great service and it is worth it IMO. If you are ordering plant care products on there I recommend getting this because it has everything you need: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113221 ^_^. Get the "Fundamentals" one. Either way I would definately get some Flourish Excel so you don't have to bother with CO2 that much. I would also get a good liquid fertlizer...either regular Flourish or Flora Pride.

Cory cats are messy fish and will get to be 2-3 inches. So having three would definately be over-stocking in a 5-gallon...especially with the betta. The only exceptions are the pygmy cories because they are less then an inch long. You could have three pygmies and a betta in a 5-gallon. Although the peppered cory cat is one of the smaller cory species I would not recommend keeping one in anything less then 10-gallons...they like having room to roam . Once the 10-gallon is cycled could you maybe move the peppered cory there and get him a couple friends?

Platies are awesome...I adore them! They are easy to care for, colorful, small, and full of personality. The only problem is that you would need at least a 5-gallon for a pair...and they would be the only fish you could have! Maybe if you had a heavily planted aquarium you could house them with your female but that would depend on the filter.

Thing is, you can usually only have two or three fish in a 5-gallon. And since you already have a betta in there it limits your options. An apple snail, some african dwarf frogs, one or two cherry barbs, pygmy cory cats, or oto cats would be great. If you have an extremely peaceful betta you could give guppies or a honey dwarf gourami a try.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 10:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats greyt to hear Melissa! I am glad that Trance made it.

Amanda has peppered cories!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Ok, I'm glad you got flourescent bulbs ^_^. Do they say that they are blue on the package? Do you know the brand?
SO am I

Thats a bad thing about having a smaller aquarium,initally I wanted an apple snail,& that's exactly what I was looking for @ WalMart,but didn't see anything & when I saw the cory's I thought "ah,perfect! It'll help keep the aquarium clean".He was put in with the female betta since that aquarium was cycled & she been living alone awhile.Moving the corydora & getting him friends is definately not a problem though! By the next time I go in that way I should be able to purchase quite a few fishies etc since I'll have 2 additional tanks up & going

Quote:
Platies are awesome...I adore them! They are easy to care for, colorful, small, and full of personality. The only problem is that you would need at least a 5-gallon for a pair...and they would be the only fish you could have! Maybe if you had a heavily planted aquarium you could house them with your female but that would depend on the filter.
Ok,I can see me purchasing a couple for the 10gal To possibly put in with the male betta. Both my bettas arent overly agressive.I'll debate between platies & guppies in a 10gal.^_^

+ Thanks for the links also!! The bad (possibly shipping cost,but don't think it'll be that bad ) doesn't outweigh the good! (Being able to get stuff that will keep my plants live& well & enhance my aquatic critters environments )

Last edited by candyraver; 12-10-2006 at 12:35 AM.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 12:38 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
SO am I

Thats a bad thing about having a smaller aquarium,initally I wanted an apple snail,& that's exactly what I was looking for @ WalMart,but didn't see anything & when I saw the cory's I thought "ah,perfect! It'll help keep the aquarium clean".He was put in with the female betta since that aquarium was cycled & she been living alone awhile.Moving the corydora & getting him friends is definately not a problem though! By the next time I go in that way I should be able to purchase quite a few fishies etc since I'll have 2 additional tanks up & going

Ok,I can see me purchasing a couple for the 10gal To possibly put in with the male betta. Both my bettas arent overly agressive.I'll debate between platies & guppies in a 10gal.^_^
Platies are great...you'll love them. They are seriously one of my favorite species . Aggressive bettas might chase brightly-colored platies but I've never had that happen. Guppies are nice but it's difficult finding healthy ones that aren't inbred. Still, they are gorgeous fish and come in a kazillion colors, patterns, and fin types. I would avoid the ones with super-long fins unless your betta is really calm. It's not impossible, though. I had a guppy tank with gorgeous fancy guppies of all different kinds and ended up housing a betta with them. They got along great . The guppies ended up dying, though, from numerous problems. One had jumped out of the net when I was moving him and died a couple weeks later, one disapeared when I was on vacation, my favorite one randomly died for no reason at all, and another one had a tumor that was apparently cancerous . And now I can't find my remaining guppy, Leo. I think I'm staying away from guppies for a while and will get more platies instead.

~Stephanie

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 12:43 AM
RAT ADDICT

Platies are greyt fish! I have had them several times before and they are one of my favorites too.They are full of personality.They also breed like crazy and sometimes you will find tiny babies swimming around.I used to LOVE searching for the babies to save them!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Sasami - I messed up when I was trying to quote you earlier.

The bulbs I have are made by Hagen. But it also has "marina" on the box (sub-brand by Hagen I'm guessing )
& it also says blue on the box.

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, aquarium salt, cherry barbs, cory cats, dwarf frogs, female betta, fin rot, fish tank, hermit crab, hermit crabs, male betta, pet store