He IS really ill! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy He IS really ill!

I posted last night about a "parasite" in with my betta. Well today he's extremely ill.Having trouble swimming,breathing....everything! What can I do??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

It's not that ick stuff is it? Our fish tank got that and it killed the entire tank within a few days. And from what I remember it looking like white flakes floating around.

Maybe google it

*Missy*
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

No the tank is really clean,its just it looked weird on cam.& Scratched up & the flash on the cam,just horrid photography.Its like a tiny worm.I'm going to google it to see what medication I can use.I really dont want to lose this betta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Have you tested your water yet? I ask because if they are indeed planaria that appeared from your fish being over-fed then the rotting food could have caused an ammonia spike.

But it definately sounds like it could be anchor worms .

I would get a filter to start with and then perform a large water change and add aquarium salt plus an anti-parasite medication such as Formalin. And after that I would use Fluke-Tabs to kill the remaining free-floating worms.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Also, I would suggest getting the meds asap if you don't have some already. If he's having trouble swimming like you said that isn't a good sign .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

I changed all the water again tho
So the worm got thrown out with the water.Remember I was preparing the other tank again & the water was set out overnight & it was all perfect for when I moved him over again. I think he's carrying something.& I'll have the filter by tommorrow since I have to be @ the hospital before 10am.I'm going to look for Formalin & fluke-tabs!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:54 PM

if youre doing 100% water change, then you have to do it all the time...otherwise the tank will keep trying to cycle itself and will stress your betta out.

whats the water parameter? temperature? ph? ammonia level? nitrate level?

it's okay if you dont have all this.

but it is important for you to help your betta.

I suggest warming the tank up to about 78F and if you can tell us more about his symptoms for us to help medicate him, you will also need a small sand stone to help aerate the water as medicated water has less oxygen in there.

It is very important for you to warm the tank and tell us the symptoms. also if you can get a flash light, shine it on him to see if he has anything on him, any color changes etc.

also, is he trying to scratch himself?

if he is having trouble swimming, does he look bloated?

what are you feeding him?

if he is bloated, dont feed him until he passes it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:55 PM

ps. you cant tell if the water is "pretty clean" unless you test it for the above.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:56 PM

here ya go.. to the best of your knowlege, fill this out:

-- Help us help you. Please fill in the blanks below when requesting planted tank help --
1. Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate
2. pH/GH/KH
3. Temperature
4. Tank size/Filtration
5. Water change amount/frequency
6. Water conditioner/additives/fertilizers/medications
7. What, how much and how often do you feed your fish?
8. Tank inhabitants
9. Any recent additions or changes to the tank? Who, what and when?
10. Any unusual symptoms?
11. How long has the tank been in operation?
12. Lighting wattage/duration/spectrum/age
13. Substrate
14. Plant list
15. History of algae?
16. CO2 injection?
-- Thanks! --
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCo Chanel
if youre doing 100% water change, then you have to do it all the time...otherwise the tank will keep trying to cycle itself and will stress your betta out.
Actually, she doesn't have a filter and therefore needs to be doing 100% changes. In an uncycled tank without a filter that's the best thing to do. Sure, it's stressful and not ideal but it's better then having ammonia build-up or insanely high nitrates .

Quote:

I suggest warming the tank up to about 78F and if you can tell us more about his symptoms for us to help medicate him, you will also need a small sand stone to help aerate the water as medicated water has less oxygen in there.
You don't have to worry about oxygen when keeping bettas because they can breath from the air .

~Stephanie

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:03 PM

well if the betta is having trouble swimming, then he will have trouble going to the top for air.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
well if the betta is having trouble swimming, then he will have trouble going to the top for air.
I guess that's true .

But if the fish was having that much trouble swimming it would be a better idea to just lower the water level so they can easily breath. Because an air stone will create a strong current and could stress the fish further which you definately don't want to do to a sick fishie! That's just my opinion, though, and everyone has their own methods!

~Stephanie

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

How is he doing, Melissa?

~Stephanie

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:13 AM
RAT ADDICT

How is he doing? Did he make it?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

YES! He made it! AND the problem was ammonia I believe,because as I said when the water got thrown out,the worms did too,which ended up being planaria ! Before I put him in the 10gal again I must cycle it & such...also I picked up medication for fin rot because I was advised it wouldnt hurt.
BUT he's swimming fine& everything now like nothing was ever wrong .
I have filters now! Made by "tetra" it is the "whisper internal power filter". (for 2 -10 gallon tanks) I bought 25W aquarium light bulbs (i think they are florescent,how can you tell? Flourescent is clear correct?) & I bought them in blue =P (I also bought the same for my 5.5gallon btw.I could not find any sort of sand for plants...or liquid fertilizers),the plants i have are pretty much wedged between rocks around the roots...(they arent supposed to be planted) & the gravel i'm using is epoxy coated aquarium gravel,made by stoney river.
AND I bought test kits so no more guessing is my water is "fit" or not.
Oh I should add I also bought "cycle" by Nutrafin & AquaPlus by Nutrafin
Think thats all....? I spent way over 70$!
OH! My female betta has a new tankmate! Her first ever tank mate! A pepper corydora,that I named "Pepper" I'm inventive like that

Thank you everyone!!!

& Bethany,there was no plants or tank mates etc,it was just being started. My betta was being moved from a "kit" to an aquarium.

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, aquarium salt, cherry barbs, cory cats, dwarf frogs, female betta, fin rot, fish tank, hermit crab, hermit crabs, male betta, pet store