Help with Balloon Mollies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Help with Balloon Mollies

I purchased four balloon mollies for my aquarium yesterday. I know two of them are pregnant, and the lady who sold the fish to me said that one is about to pop! This fish has been hiding in the top of my castle the whole time she has been in my tank. Is this unusual, or is it normal for her to do this. How will I know when I need to seperate her into a breedng tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 05:31 PM
is a little "special"

Congrats on your new mollies! Theyre pretty cute lil fish, arent they?
Sometimes they will isolate themselves when they are about to give birth. And if shes so big, thats probably what shes gaoing to do soon. Fish tend to be rather shy/scared when theyre in a new tank too, so thats also something to consider. I just got some new mollies too, and they havent come out of hiding yet
You should probably seperate her soon, by the way shes acting and stuff. Do you have a breeding tank already set up and cycled?
Well, good luck with your fishies!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Hello Earthling

Well congrats on your new fish.

It probably a good time to move her to a cycled birthing tank.

Mollies prefer water with a bit of aquarium salt added to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would separate her now, it sounds like she'll be giving birth soon. After she gives birth, make sure to separate her from her babies otherwise she'll probably eat them.

Good luck and welcome to Paw-Talk!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I would seperate her now as the others have said, sounds like shes getting close. The babies will be so fun to watch, everyday they change in some way...good luck

I had a ton of balloon mollies, they are so much fun to watch, they also can grow in numbers very very very fast lol, so make sure you seperate the sexes as soon as you can, otherwise they will take over before you know it lol...I bought 2 from a pet store, orange and black, and within a year I had well over 100 of them, thankfully I was able to find some homes and the petstore helped find homes lol...they are great fish, I loved watching them

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Adolescent Pup

If you have any males they may be bothering her as well. They tend to do that when the females are so close. Im not sure why, but I would move her as soon as you can so there will be less stress on her.

Tags
balloon mollie, mollies