HELP with Undergravel filtered tank (how to clean it) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

HELP with Undergravel filtered tank (how to clean it)

Hi all, I have a 6.3 liter tank (1.66 gallon tank). i have 2 fancy guppies. My problem is learning how to clean the tank. i have a air pump going down the plastic tubing that is connected to the plastic filter plate. I have read in places to siphon the gravel out (which will take out most of the muck out. my problem is: what about the muck underneath the plate, how would i take that out, without taking all the gravel, plants. its alot of work. and plus i was told that i should not remove all the water otherwise the tank cycle would be destroyed. Can someone please help. thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Unless it's a Walstad set-up or something then the tank is over-stocked and probably too small to be cycled properly. So instead of worrying about the cycle you're probably better off doing 100% water changes weekly. Which means putting the guppies in a separate container and dumping out all or most of the water in the tank, rinsing the gravel, and filling the tank back up with fresh (and dechlorinated!) water.

I would look into upgrading to a larger tank if possible. An aquarium that small is going to be difficult to maintain and keep stable. Guppies need more room anyways.

A 5-gallon would be a good and you could add another guppy or two .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.