Hermit Crab - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hermit Crab

Has anyone ever been to the Lousiana Boardwalk? Well, they sell hermit crabs with the decorations on their shells. My brother was gonna get one that had a Ying Yang symbol on his back. The crabs started off as 10 dollars. But the final price was almost 50 dollars! I have no idea where the extra 40 dollars came from. WEll, there was food and a tank but it sholdn't have been that much.

But anyways, I think I'm gonna get one if I ever go back. So, has anyone else ever had a hermit crab, particularly the ones with the "pimped out shells"

I know they paint the shells first and the crabs choose one. What do they eat? I'm not sure we have crab food here in MS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet Parent to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would avoid hermit crabs with painted shells, to be honest. The paint often will chip off and end up eaten/absorbed which can obviously cause serious problems. I've even heard of ceramic paint being used...which contains lead if not heat-treated.

The paint can also cause irritation to the poor crab who sometimes can't even get out of the shell (remember that these crabs are usually forced into them).

They seem to prefer natural ones...hermits in painted shells will usually switch to a natural one when given the choice. I have seen this happen myself on numerous occasions.

Hermit crabs are not the simple pets they are made out to be. You'll need at least a 10-gallon aquarium and you shouldn't have just one crab since they are social animals. Try to get at least two or three. They need heat (so you'll most likely need a heat lamp or under tank heater), high humidity (you'll have to mist the tank with dechlorinated water on a regular basis), and a varied diet (a hermit crab pellet food alone isn't really enough).

Some species need access to saltwater and all enjoy it. This means buying marine salt mix. Most tanks have a freshwater pool and a saltwater pool.

As far as diet goes the most important thing is that you keep it varied. Hermit crabs don't like to keep eating the same foods and will sometimes flat-out refuse to eat them. Here's an article: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/hermitcrabs/a/feedhc.htm

Keep in mind that hermit crabs are wild-caught animals that have been under a TON of stress before getting home. It's not unusual for them to get sick and/or die even with the best of care. If they do recover, though, they can easily live 10+ years.

Here's another website: http://www.crabbytalk.com

They're really great pets, but sadly pretty misunderstood.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thanks a lot for the info. i kinda figured the paint was harmful but i wasn't sure. i'll have to rethink getting a hermit crab. i just don't want to bit off more than i chew since i'm doing a lot at school. thanks again for the info. i wouldn't have known what i was getting into.

I'd actually read a story about a women and her hermit on a state test and you described everything she was talking about. you're a big help.

Maybe a later time would be good, when i'm not so busy.

thanks again

Pet Parent to:

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.

Tags
hermit crab, hermit crabs, social animals