Hole in the Head Disease. Please Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hole in the Head Disease. Please Help!

PLease help me if you have any insight. I noticed that my ten inch oscar has been developing a mild case of hole in the head. I took my water in to work today with me to test it and everything is fine. The only thing that is a little high is the nitrates at 20ppm. Amonia and nitrites are zero. My water is hard, but it always has been. He is on a diet of hikari cichlid gold and eats a bit of the shrimp pellets, algae wafers, bloodworms and brine shrimp that I put in for my other fish too. He doesnt eat feeders.

I have been researching it and the only thing I can see is that he mostly eats the large cichlid pellets and maybe its because of "Boring Diet." Does anyone have any ideas what else it could be caused by or what I can do to treat it.

Vitamin deficiency is often also the cause, can anyone suggest something to feed to add vitamins to the water?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Please help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I dont think vitamin deficiency is the case here, his diet is full of those as it is. Lower the nitrates, what is the pH and temp? Generally water quality is the leading cause. I can pm you a link with someone that had the same situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ph is high. probably around 8. water temp is 78.

that would be awesome if you could send me that link. I just want him healthy again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I couldnt find it...been the person aged their water prior to wc

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

what do you mean by aging the water?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

you let the water sit 24hr or so prior to adding it into the aquarium, the will stabilize the pH

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

For the first week of august I did a large waterchange, about 30-45 percent daily for 6 days, and daily treated with Metro + a lateral line erosion medication. I changed a large portion of the water a day before I left for my vacation and I was gone for 5 days. Now that I'm home, I have been doing 30-45% water changes every other day but I'm still seeing little to no improvement. He is in a 40 breeder tank currently, until I can move him into a 75 with two blood parrot cichlids, a 5 inch pictus catfish and a 4 inch pleco. I have a marineland 350 biowheel filter and an aquaclear 70 filter on the tank. Both have no c arbon in them, just biomaterial and foam. Any other changes I can make to my tank to help?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Have you tried changing his diet and all? I see from your original post that it was a concern of yours but you don't mention if you tried adding other foods.

Most cases I see have to do with vitamin deficiencies or water quality issues. Oscars need a lot of variety in their diet and live foods are an especially great supplement (NOT feeder goldfish; I mean earthworms, blackworms, gutloaded crickets, etc.). Feeding other frozen foods such as krill, silversides, squid, etc. would also be great.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I did not make any major changes to his diet, but I did start feeding him broken up algae wafers and every few days, I used polyvisol (sp?) a baby vitamin supplement on his food to introduce more vitamins to his diet. The other foods I currently feed him are spirulina brine shrimp (frozen), frozen bloodwoms, cichlid gold pellets, and shrimp pellets.

I guess more changes wouldn't hurt. What other food has the most beneficial vitamin content?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Oscars really don't eat much plant matter in the wild (to my knowledge) so I would feed mainly meat-based foods.

I'm not an Oscar diet expert but it's not as simple as just feeding certain foods. Instead, variety is key. If you keep feeding different foods and rotating what he gets fed that'll probably work out well . Since you don't feed live fish, maybe try some silversides at least? Or another kind of frozen fish. Krill is also great (and it brings out the color in a lot of fish). Earthworms tend to be a favorite for many fish, mine love them.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i picked up some frozen krill the other day and have been interspersing that with the rest of his diet. I have also become more conscious of switching up his diet and have continued the waterchanges. It looks like the holes ore starting to close up. Hes getting his color back where the holes are. Thank you so much for the advice. I think I just need to have patience now.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's great to hear, good luck with him .

~Stephanie

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yep hes a big baby. less than a year old and already at least ten inches (including the tail) hes got such a great personality. ill be glad to have him better and feeling healthy. I can't wait to get him in a 75 gallon. I'm just waiting on my dad to make me a nice stand for that one and for him to make the stand for his 180 gallon so he can change his fish over.

Tags
cichlid, hole in the head, oscar